Can teenagers eat from the kids menu?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You're making up rules to manufacture a controversy where none exists. People of any age don't have to lie to order from the kids' menu and they're not breaking any rules to do it: Disney expressly allows it, and charges them according to their portion. My prior comments on a different subject pertained to an actual rule. The two issues are "apples and oranges." No reason for you to engage in ad hominem attacks...
Ok. You’re Line is squiggly like anyone else’s. Where you step inside your line, someone else might think your stepping over the line. It would do you well to understand that. Instead of being a self righteous...well...you know...

Simba's Mom

I'm in my 30s and I order from the kids menu all the time. My other strategy is to order an adult entree without the sides. My appetite is tiny and I don't like wasting food. (And y'all can fuss at me all you like, I really don't care. I'm not getting more than what I pay for. In fact that's entirely the point: I don't WANT a full portion.)

Thanks for the info! I also have a very small appetite and find myself lots of times leaving over half my food on the plate, simply because I'm full. I'd rather be able to order smaller portions or entrees without sides, but didn't know I could.

jaklgreen

I am here for this.

The moral high grounders should be here any minute to tell you what a dishonest thief you are if you order off the kids menu for kid over the prescribed age.

"Ordering off the kids menu for a 15 year old is basically the same as stealing a car. Plus you are teaching your child to be dishonest. Plus you are basically a criminal and should be arrested."

That's just silly. You get the amount of food you pay for. It's more like someone that age should eat normal food and not processed junk they have on the kids menu. There is your moral high ground. :p

jaklgreen

I'm in my 30s and I order from the kids menu all the time. My other strategy is to order an adult entree without the sides. My appetite is tiny and I don't like wasting food. (And y'all can fuss at me all you like, I really don't care. I'm not getting more than what I pay for. In fact that's entirely the point: I don't WANT a full portion.)

I think that there are a lot of people who do not eat such big quantities at one time and would love to have smaller portions and not be forced to order off of a child's menu. I want just less of a normal meal and do not want to eat pizza and chicken strips. I love the new Satu'li Canteen at AK menu. The kids menu has the beef bowls and are just the right size for me for lunch. You get a smaller portion of normal food.

21stamps

I think that there are a lot of people who do not eat such big quantities at one time and would love to have smaller portions and not be forced to order off of a child's menu. I want just less of a normal meal and do not want to eat pizza and chicken strips. I love the new Satu'li Canteen at AK menu. The kids menu has the beef bowls and are just the right size for me for lunch. You get a smaller portion of normal food.

Garden Grill and WCC are the biggest offenders for this, for my family. We barely put a dent in the food. I wish GG would bring smaller portions to start, Ive asked, but we always receive the large platter.

The Mom

Premium Member
You are breaking the rules. That is deceitful.

It depends upon the restaurant. As someone mentioned, I've seen menus that have stated that the kid's menu is only for those 12 or younger. Other places don't care if an adult orders from it. If they did, they would have the "rule" spelled posted, or let you know when you ask/order.

daisyduckie

Garden Grill and WCC are the biggest offenders for this, for my family. We barely put a dent in the food. I wish GG would bring smaller portions to start, Ive asked, but we always receive the large platter.

It is a set serving size as it is an all you care to eat family style meal.

I've ordered a kids nugget meal many times, and no CM has ever batted an eyelash.

Walter Elias Disney

Personally, I enjoy ordering form the kid's menu and having the opportunity to try a variety of foods. I haven't had any problems. This doesn't work for buffets or character meals. FYI...this is a great way to eat around the World Showcase.

21stamps

Personally, I enjoy ordering form the kid's menu and having the opportunity to try a variety of foods. I haven't had any problems. This doesn't work for buffets or character meals. FYI...this is a great way to eat around the World Showcase.

What kids meals do they have in WS that provide a variety? I always order adult meals for my kid, just so he can actually have the variety and flavors in WS, and he rarely finished half the meal. I’d love if there are smaller portions available!!

HouCuseChickie

We were there just before Christmas and my 11 year old "adult" was offered the kids meal if she wanted from several TS spots. We were not on DDP, so it wasn't going to be a credit issue. However, both of our kids (younger is 9) seem to prefer the adult menus, so we never really took them up on the offer. If it's something that interests you, I would approach it from the "it can't hurt to ask" angle.

Starlight67

I was told last week when I ordered a grilled cheese (for myself) that it was a kids meal. But then the Disney employee told me it's fine for adults to order kids meals. (I just assumed it was illegal in the disney dining world.) It's really plenty of food. I ate kids meals at counter service restaurants from then on, in the parks, at food court. Never had any questions about it at all. I thinks it's is the perfect amount of food (choice of two sides and a kids size drink!) and so much less expensive, averaging $8.00 a meal.

Darkseid

I don't see how this is deceitful in this situation. There are restaurants that lower the cost of a kids meal to entice more families to eat there. This is simply not the case at Disney. They charge based on the amount of food being provided.

Comparing this to people lying about the age of their child to get into the park for free is an irrelevant example. That is blatantly being deceitful to get a product for free. Asking for a kids meal and paying the appropriate price that is charged for the product given is not trying to "cheat the system."

MagicalMaci

In the Parks
Yes
The only time I've ever run into a problem was at the Coral Reef. I wasn't super hungry and I don't eat shellfish which is on a LOT of the adult menu so nothing was appealing to me. I asked if I could order off the kids menu and was given a very rude "NO" from our server. He lost out in the end, my friend and I split an entree so his check total actually decreased by not letting me order the less expensive food. Otherwise I've never had an issue ordering from the kids menu as a teen or an adult. Quick service is not a concern at all!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I don't see how this is deceitful in this situation. There are restaurants that lower the cost of a kids meal to entice more families to eat there. This is simply not the case at Disney. They charge based on the amount of food being provided.

Comparing this to people lying about the age of their child to get into the park for free is an irrelevant example. That is blatantly being deceitful to get a product for free. Asking for a kids meal and paying the appropriate price that is charged for the product given is not trying to "cheat the system."
If you say so. We all have our own moral codes. You probably don't think speeding is breaking the law either.

The Mom

Premium Member
I've noticed that some WDW menus specifically say "for children under 12 only." Trying to order off of that would be deceitful. I liken this more to ordering an appetizer as an entree; most restaurants don't care - especially if not allowing you to do so may result in sharing one entree (although many places get around that by having a plate charge) or not eating and just having a drink.

StarWarsGirl

I've noticed that some WDW menus specifically say "for children under 12 only." Trying to order off of that would be deceitful. I liken this more to ordering an appetizer as an entree; most restaurants don't care - especially if not allowing you to do so may result in sharing one entree (although many places get around that by having a plate charge) or not eating and just having a drink.
I'm not sure I quite agree with this. If you were in a buffet and said your kid was 12 when in reality he's 15 in order to pay the lower rate, then yes, that would be deceitful.

But I don't think there needs to be any deceit to order off the kids menu. My brother is on the autism spectrum, and except for asian food, he pretty much wants what's on the kids menu. He's not adventurous, and we don't push it. They can definitely tell he's not 12, and we're honest about that and just say, "Can we get a kid's menu for him?" It does say 12 and under, but they're okay with it and say that it happens pretty often. It doesn't hurt to ask, and in the end, they want you to have a good vacation, and if having a good vacation means your teen orders off the kids menu, is it seriously a big deal?

The Mom

Premium Member
I'm not sure I quite agree with this. If you were in a buffet and said your kid was 12 when in reality he's 15 in order to pay the lower rate, then yes, that would be deceitful.

But I don't think there needs to be any deceit to order off the kids menu. My brother is on the autism spectrum, and except for asian food, he pretty much wants what's on the kids menu. He's not adventurous, and we don't push it. They can definitely tell he's not 12, and we're honest about that and just say, "Can we get a kid's menu for him?" It does say 12 and under, but they're okay with it and say that it happens pretty often. It doesn't hurt to ask, and in the end, they want you to have a good vacation, and if having a good vacation means your teen orders off the kids menu, is it seriously a big deal?

Some restaurants (or just servers) might be OK with it, others might be sticklers. If it clearly states "12 and under" that is the rule. If you just don't want to pay more for food, it's deceitful, imo. You should probably go to a different restaurant. If there is a legitimate reason to order from the kid's menu, it doesn't hurt to ask for an exception to the rule. I understand that only going to restaurants where your picky eater can find something on the adult menu is limiting, so understand wanting to order something that is more familiar.

So to get back to the original question, which is pretty much will my teenager be allowed to order from the children's menu, the answer is probably yes, but understand that it could be no, so be prepared.

A moral, or legal, dilemma would be trying to order a drink for your underage child.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom