Can someone break down QSDP for me please

button409

Original Poster
Hi all,

So we will have the QSDP when we are at WDW. 2 Adults, 2 kids, one infant. I understand that we get 2 Quick service meals and 2 snacks per day. Been reading about swapping QS credits for snack credits, and also using snack credits to get a beer etc - how do we do this, do we just request it at the QS location or would we need to go to guest services? Would we be able to use one of the kids snack credits to buy a beer? Is there already a thread that explains all this (I have looked but can't find it). Also, I understand that you can identify snacks from the Dining plan purple logo on menus/in stores, how do I know which QS meals are included, or is it all QS meals. Want to get the best value we can, so as we will have refillable mugs, want to use the plan to buy alcohol and will buy out of pocket for soft drinks. If we don't want a drink at lunch, and we pick it up later, or does it have to be purchased with the meal? Thanks in advance for any help!

Jon81uk

You can't use snack credits on alcoholic drinks.

All snacks are marked with a purple DDP logo.

A quick service meal consists of a an entrée or combo and a drink. All QS meals are included. Over-21s can get an alcoholic drink with their meal. All drinks have to be ordered when redeeming the meal.

Credits can be used at any time in any order (you don't have to use two each day, some days you can use more or less).
But you must get both parts of the credit (entrée and drink) together.

You can use one QS meal credit to get three snacks in the same transaction. For example you could get a coffee, croissant and a fruit pot as a QS "meal" for breakfast. But this may not be the best monetary value for a credit.

button409

Original Poster
Thanks, been to Disney many times but never had the Dining Plan! The kids are only 5 and 3 so I'm thinking they may be able to share a meal and that we might be able to use the QS credit to get iced coffees/hot coffees/ice creams(depending on the temperature). Do the kids have to have kids meals - again I'm sure in my research I read they could have an adult meal, which they could then share.

Jon81uk

that we might be able to use the QS credit to get iced coffees/hot coffees/ice creams(depending on the temperature)

The meal credit has to be used for a meal and drink OR can sometimes be used for three snacks all bought in the same transaction. You can use snack credits for iced coffee (get a venti size as all sizes are one credit!) and almost all ice creams.

I'm not sure on kids meals, I think they are meant to only order kids meals, but I read reports that a kid credit can be used for an adult meal.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Thanks, been to Disney many times but never had the Dining Plan! The kids are only 5 and 3 so I'm thinking they may be able to share a meal and that we might be able to use the QS credit to get iced coffees/hot coffees/ice creams(depending on the temperature). Do the kids have to have kids meals - again I'm sure in my research I read they could have an adult meal, which they could then share.
With kids that age, you're going to lose a ton of money on the dining plan. Are you on a free dining promotion or paying for it? You never want to be on any dining plan if your kids are just barely old enough qualify as "kids" or just barely old enough to qualify as "adults" because they're not going to be able to eat enough.

Tom P.

Meal credits have to be used on meals. You would not be able to use a quick service credit on a drink, for example.

According to the terms of the dining plan, children ages 3-9 are required to order from a kids' menu when one is available. However, in the computer system, no distinction is made between "adult" quick service credits and "child" quick service credits. So you could order the kids an adult meal and the system would allow it, but if you're following the "letter of the law" that is not permitted.

Shouldigo12

Meal credits have to be used on meals. You would not be able to use a quick service credit on a drink, for example.

According to the terms of the dining plan, children ages 3-9 are required to order from a kids' menu when one is available. However, in the computer system, no distinction is made between "adult" quick service credits and "child" quick service credits. So you could order the kids an adult meal and the system would allow it, but if you're following the "letter of the law" that is not permitted.
You can actually use a QS credit to get a snack, but it has to be three snacks in one transaction. You can't use the credit for something like one coffee, for example. It would have to be three coffees, or three coffees and a cupcake (or any other combination of snacks on the meal plan)

slappy magoo

With kids that age, you're going to lose a ton of money on the dining plan. Are you on a free dining promotion or paying for it? You never want to be on any dining plan if your kids are just barely old enough qualify as "kids" or just barely old enough to qualify as "adults" because they're not going to be able to eat enough.
I'll got a little further and suggest that the QS Dining Plan isn't so hot for grownups either unless a: You always use it for lunch and dinner, never breakfast where prices tend to be lower and b: you always include an alcoholic beverage and not everyone wants that and c: you don't eat at a food court where you could fill up your refillable mug for no additional cost.

I mean it's $52.50 now for 2 meals 2 snacks and the mug. Some of the most expensive QS meals I'm finding are about $14. Add a specialty cocktail for $9.50. One for lunch, one for dinner, that's $47. Get the biggest cupcake you can find for each of your 2 snacks for $6 each, that's $59, add tax, about $63.
If you can eat like that every day, the QS plan is a bargain. If you were planning some sit down dinners, then you're using your QS credit for breakfast, so knock off 5-6 bucks. Not every snack will be $6, you'll probably average $5 a snack, so two bucks there, suddenly $63 is $56. And your lunch entree might not be $14, it might be $11, now you're back at break even prices for the grownups.

In my past bunches of trips we found the Deluxe Dining Plan worked out great for our style of vacation because we always sat down at breakfast and dinner, often at character meals or places with a prix fixe, and both our kids were under 10. compared to out of pocket costs we made out like bandits. As soon as my oldest turned 10 (but didn't develop an adult appetite), no plan made sense, we opted to use Tables in Wonderland and made out a little better than we would just by paying out of pocket with whatever DVC discounts were available to us. I don't see us ever getting a plan again at the rates they're charging and we'll just scale back on the amount of character meals we do.

button409

Original Poster
I'll got a little further and suggest that the QS Dining Plan isn't so hot for grownups either unless a: You always use it for lunch and dinner, never breakfast where prices tend to be lower and b: you always include an alcoholic beverage and not everyone wants that and c: you don't eat at a food court where you could fill up your refillable mug for no additional cost.

I mean it's $52.50 now for 2 meals 2 snacks and the mug. Some of the most expensive QS meals I'm finding are about $14. Add a specialty cocktail for $9.50. One for lunch, one for dinner, that's $47. Get the biggest cupcake you can find for each of your 2 snacks for $6 each, that's $59, add tax, about $63.
If you can eat like that every day, the QS plan is a bargain. If you were planning some sit down dinners, then you're using your QS credit for breakfast, so knock off 5-6 bucks. Not every snack will be $6, you'll probably average $5 a snack, so two bucks there, suddenly $63 is $56. And your lunch entree might not be $14, it might be $11, now you're back at break even prices for the grownups.

In my past bunches of trips we found the Deluxe Dining Plan worked out great for our style of vacation because we always sat down at breakfast and dinner, often at character meals or places with a prix fixe, and both our kids were under 10. compared to out of pocket costs we made out like bandits. As soon as my oldest turned 10 (but didn't develop an adult appetite), no plan made sense, we opted to use Tables in Wonderland and made out a little better than we would just by paying out of pocket with whatever DVC discounts were available to us. I don't see us ever getting a plan again at the rates they're charging and we'll just scale back on the amount of character meals we do.
Thanks, it’s a free dining promo. We will definitely be using the QS credits for lunch and dinner and a snack credit for breakfast. We will also likely get a beer with those meals where we can!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom