Can non FL residents get SPs or APs

Expo_Seeker40

I'm going to be moving to Florida for grad school beginning this fall. There's no need to change my driver's license or license plate, but is there anyway I can get a season pass as a non Florida resident. I'm not trying to go all year round or go to the water parks. Thanks for your help. :wave:

sweetpee_1993

If you're moving to Florida to attend a Florida college and you are renting a place (like an apartment or something) I think you might meet the requirements as per this page. You'd need your college i.d. PLUS one of the items on the secondary list. If you have a place with a utility or lease or something in your name I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get any of the Florida resident passes (seasonal, annual, etc.). The key is having that secondary piece of the puzzle they are asking for in addition to the current student i.d. card.

Hope that helps!

:wave:

EDIT: I did notice at the bottom of the page that they want a Florida driver's license or i.d. to do the payment plan. If you aren't getting a Florida i.d. then I don't think you could do the payment plan.

Upvote 0

tampabrad

As a non FL resident, NO. As a seasonal FL resident, YES. There is a list on the website of what is required to purchase and use a FL resident pass.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Sweetpee, I think you mis-read the page you linked to. A Student ID from a Florida college is an acceptable form of ID on its own. (Note the line that says "If you do not have one of the IDs listed above...")

The secondary list is for people who are only part-time residents and *don't* have one of the IDs on the first list.

It seems though, that for the installment payment plan you have to have a Florida-issued ID.

-Rob

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Sweetpee, I think you mis-read the page you linked to. A Student ID from a Florida college is an acceptable form of ID on its own. (Note the line that says "If you do not have one of the IDs listed above...")

The secondary list is for people who are only part-time residents and *don't* have one of the IDs on the first list.

It seems though, that for the installment payment plan you have to have a Florida-issued ID.

-Rob

It sure does! My bad! Still looks like the OP is in good shape. I never went away to school so was wondering what a student in student housing would do for a secondary thing. Then they said a bank statement or I forget the other items would do. I'm glad students can get FL seasonals. I'm also glad military in Florida can get them. I'm racking my brain trying to remember what my military id looked like. I think there was a box on it for what base issued the i.d. I guess that's what they're looking for.

Upvote 0

love disney

I'm going to be moving to Florida for grad school beginning this fall. There's no need to change my driver's license or license plate, but is there anyway I can get a season pass as a non Florida resident. I'm not trying to go all year round or go to the water parks. Thanks for your help. :wave:

Expo_Seeker40, actually there is a need to change your driver's license! I was once pulled over for speeding (oops!) but the officer was nice and did not give me a ticket for that, but DID give me a ticket for having the wrong address on my license. You have 30 (or maybe 60) days to update your license in the State of Florida. Also, it might benefit you to change it and officially become a Florida resident for tuition purposes, at the state universities (such as UF where I work) state tuition is lower and than out of state tuition, so there are actually two good reasons to get a new driver's license. Good luck where ever you go to grad school and with whatever you are studying!

Upvote 0

fosse76

Expo_Seeker40, actually there is a need to change your driver's license! I was once pulled over for speeding (oops!) but the officer was nice and did not give me a ticket for that, but DID give me a ticket for having the wrong address on my license. You have 30 (or maybe 60) days to update your license in the State of Florida. Also, it might benefit you to change it and officially become a Florida resident for tuition purposes, at the state universities (such as UF where I work) state tuition is lower and than out of state tuition, so there are actually two good reasons to get a new driver's license. Good luck where ever you go to grad school and with whatever you are studying!

That's bizarre, since in most states college students are not required to get a license. Out-of-state students who live in dormitories technically can't establish residency, since a dorm room isn't a permanent residence.
It's pretty hypocritical of FL if true, since they require FL residents who attend school in other states to keep their FL license and registration in tact.

And in most states to qualify as a resident for tuition purposes, you usually have to have lived in the state for more than a year.

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

I checked on changing the license with FL last year when our son was starting college there and I was told from the Department of Motor Vehicles that if he was living in the state for a continuous period of over 6 months then he would have to change it. But due to class breaks he comes home and is not therefore over the 6 month period at any time. If he had just moved there to take a job and set up a permanent residence then he would have had to have his license changed in 30 days. His legal residence for tax purposes and for financial aid (student loans) is still our home address. This will have to change if he stays there after grad.
Now, with that being said when we purchased his AP last year without his Full Sail ID in hand the CM gave him the FL resident rate and the extra 3 months that they were having as a special at the time. On our word that he was starting school the next week.

Upvote 0

love disney

That's bizarre, since in most states college students are not required to get a license. Out-of-state students who live in dormitories technically can't establish residency, since a dorm room isn't a permanent residence.
It's pretty hypocritical of FL if true, since they require FL residents who attend school in other states to keep their FL license and registration in tact.

And in most states to qualify as a resident for tuition purposes, you usually have to have lived in the state for more than a year.

You definitely make some valid points. My comments were directed to her coming to Florida for graduate school, not undergrad. From my experience while in grad school (I was born and raised in FL, many of my friends were not), out of state grad students were not only encouraged to establish FL residency, but pretty much told that if they wanted any chance of funding they had to do it. Most grad students spend most of the year, if not the entire year, in FL taking classes and working, and few stay in dorms.

Long story short, undergrad and grad experiences quite different, and I would strongly suggest establishing permanent residency.

In any case, get that Annual Pass and enjoy it! :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom