Pre-Trip Can I Return These Shoes? They Hurt My Feet. - A September 2018 Pre-Trip Report

"Can I Return These Shoes? They Hurt My Feet."

Yes – Those were the words my husband uttered as we were unpacking from our last trip. If you have no idea what I’m talking about you obviously need to go back and read my last TR…

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/hurricanes-foot-pains-and-“what-the-crocs-just-happened-”-anniversary-tale-–-a-sept-irma-2017-tr-completed.934251/

Of course the shoe drama didn’t happen until day 15.

If you are all caught up and you are still willing to read on and join us again for as @blgauger says, “Ross’ Shenanigans”, well then, please read on.

Just in case you don’t know our crazy family… Here we are…

Me: Mary – I am a high school English teacher turned homeschool and blogger mom. (Although I am SO BAD at updating my web page.) I have always been a Disney fan and love all things Disney.

IMG_0632.JPG

My hubby: Ross – my nutty, “frugal” husband who always seems to add some drama to our trip. He drives me crazy, but he is the hardest working guy I know who makes a lot of sacrifices so we can go on these trips.

Julia – my now sweet 16 daughter who I hope never grows out of going to Disney with her family. Although college seems to be getting in the way of our most loved September trip. (BTW, She usually doesn’t dress all in black. This was her costume from the production of “Much Ado About Nothing” our homeschool group put on. She was backstage & props.) She’s had a tough year with some health issues that are thankfully working out okay – so that’s definitely something I will be celebrating this year.

IMG_0153.jpg

Hope – my 9 year old daughter who is boycotting all omnimover rides. She is Autistic and the reason why I started writing TR’s. So many people told me I was crazy for taking a kid with so many “issues” to Disney that I really wanted to highlight the positives and show how successful a trip to Disney with a special needs kid could be. Sadly, this will be her last year as a “kid”. Next year, she will age into a Disney “adult”.

IMG_0567.jpg

And of course, here are the shoes of contention…

IMG_0729.JPG

Here we all are at Great Wolf Lodge (except for the Crocs). We went for the first time this year with our homeschool group that managed to get an AWESOME rate.

IMG_0472.JPG

So yes, as the TR title states, Ross has decided that he wants to see if he can return the Crocs he purchased last year. He figures since he barely wore them and the fact they hurt his feet so much, that it is a reasonable request. I will bring to your attention that Ross and the word “reasonable” sometimes rarely go together. Nonetheless, he is on a mission and firmly believes he has a good case.

Now I spent 15 years in retail management and some of the WORST memories I have are the people who would present me with a pair of jeans to return with nasty stains, ripped bottoms and no tags - and yet swear that, “I’ve never worn them.” So thinking about my husband trying to return his less than loved Crocs is not sitting well with me.

At first I wasn’t too concerned. I thought for sure he would long forget about them as the year went on. He even managed to purchase another pair of sandals that he likes almost as much as the ones Julia stepped on. (I forced him to buy a second pair of them – just in case.) He has also learned to walk a few steps to the side of Julia.

However, when he bought his new shoes a few months after we returned home, he brought up the topic again. Then, as I sat down at our 180 mark to make our ADR’s, he again reminded me of the Crocs, now covered with dust in his closet, and announced he planned on trying to return them. Seriously? Even in the depths of our North East winter as he came in after shoveling snow, his mind returned to those lonely Crocs as he mentioned his hopes that Disney would take them back and give him a merchandise credit.

So here we are, into double digits and quickly approaching our 60 day FP+ date, and he is NOT forgetting about the those Crocs.

These are becoming desperate times. I am now on a mission to “misplace” the Crocs before our September journey. Will I succeed? I don’t know. But if I do not, I made it clear that I am not having anything to do with this craziness. I am not packing them, carrying them or walking with him into the store if he does attempt to make this transaction. I don’t even want to hear about them. He is on his own with this endeavor. Will he actually go through with it? Your guess is as good as mine. But I promise I will document the tale for all of you… because let’s be honest, how else would anyone believe me?

Last edited:

Songbird76

Why shouldn't you take a child with special needs to the parks? And the omnimover boycott....is that something that freaks her out? My son won't do elevators. They just scare the daylights out of him. (He's also autistic. I don't think you are crazy for taking your daughter to Disney at all)
Will Ross admit that he bought the shoes a year ago? That's the kind of thing my husband would do, but he wouldn't mention when he bought them. I can't lie...my face says everything, so I can't be anywhere near if my husband is trying to do something like this. And I find it so embarrassing.

dizfan917

Those are great ideas! I was thinking about Christmas ornaments or target practice. I have to be very strategic about their disappearance, he's keeping a close eye on them. :cautious: Thanks for following along with us! No B-day trip this year?
We're celebrating my 50th along with one of my best friend's and my cousin's 50th in a GIANT group trip in late July (we'll be TWENTY all together!!) so we'll see if the July heat is truly worse than the September heat (I think September is hotter...). I'm hoping for another September trip in 2019...

ScarletBegonias

Thanks for following @ScarletBegonias ! I checked you pre-trip report and we are going to be there the same time, but I don't think any of our plans will have our paths cross. :grumpy: Will try to get our plans posted soon - but if you see us there, PLEASE say hi.

Oh I hope we see you! I'm just afraid I won't remember names. I'll be running across the park yelling "Figment!!" LOL!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Why shouldn't you take a child with special needs to the parks? And the omnimover boycott....is that something that freaks her out? My son won't do elevators. They just scare the daylights out of him. (He's also autistic. I don't think you are crazy for taking your daughter to Disney at all)
Will Ross admit that he bought the shoes a year ago? That's the kind of thing my husband would do, but he wouldn't mention when he bought them. I can't lie...my face says everything, so I can't be anywhere near if my husband is trying to do something like this. And I find it so embarrassing.

Some of her therapists and doctors thought WDW was way too stimulating for a child with her sensory issues. They thought it would be a disaster. I guess we proved them wrong! lol Yes - we too went though the elevator issue. But she seems to have gotten passed that. We did it in stages. First we held her when the elevator was in motion, then she sat on the floor, then she would jump between floors, and now finally, she seems okay with it. The whole process took about 3 years and a lot of Disney dollars. I remember hitting the wrong floor numbers to keep us on the elevator longer to practice with her. lol

I think the issue with the omnimover rides is that she is afraid that they will stop somewhere during the ride. I believe that is what freaks her out, because she will perceive the stopping as a "mistake".

Oh yes, Ross has full intentions of telling them he bought them last year.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
We're celebrating my 50th along with one of my best friend's and my cousin's 50th in a GIANT group trip in late July (we'll be TWENTY all together!!) so we'll see if the July heat is truly worse than the September heat (I think September is hotter...). I'm hoping for another September trip in 2019...

Oh my gosh, 20 people!! I can't imagine! Have an awesome time!! September 2019? Julia may have to delay college for a year so we can go! lol

Figment Forever

Original Poster
You know Im here, I think we can all agree we can't wait to see what happens with the Crocs while I feel bad for Ross the sandal saga was one of the funniest parts of the 2017 TR and he definitely needs the "Ross' WDW Shenanigans 2018" shirt

He is up to 3 paris of sandals these days. So hopefully his feet will survive this vacation. Thanks for reading along!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Yay! Another trip for the Figments! Are there even any tsum tsums left that Hope doesn't have? Lol

I'm so hoping she's past the Tsum Tsums. It's funny, because she walks right pass them in Target and NEVER asks for them. But in Disney she goes bonkers for them. She is also now into these "LOL Surprise " things which are even crazier than the Shopkins. She only has 2 - 1 real and 1 "fake". They are crazy expensive!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Well, with 61 days to go, life's craziness is in full swing here. We just had Julia's "surprise" sweet sixteen. I planned it for 5 months and it actually took place 3 months after her actually birthday because things kept interfering with the date. But she was completely surprised! It was awesome!

Ross and I have decided we might make a move. I want to be able to have my folks come live with us and my home will not work. It needs to be more handicapped accessible for them so suddenly the search for a new house and preparing ours to sell has begun. WE have people coming to quote prices for windows and fences - which is so annoying! Sadly we will remain in NY for a while, but Florida is still Hope's plan in 9 years.

Julia is preparing to begin college classes this fall. I can't take it!

Tomorrow is 60 days aka FP day - and with everything going on, I almost forgot!!!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
As I sit and try to figure out my FP plan for tomorrow, the thought of NO Disney Jr. Live On Stage is sinking in. We are all sad here to say the least. It seems as though we will miss the last show by days. :cry: Although, I was surprised to see Hope excited about the new dance party coming, even though we will not be able to see it until a later trip. She is hoping to get another construction wall photo opt! lol

MomofPrincessGrace

I'm so hoping she's past the Tsum Tsums. It's funny, because she walks right pass them in Target and NEVER asks for them. But in Disney she goes bonkers for them. She is also now into these "LOL Surprise " things which are even crazier than the Shopkins. She only has 2 - 1 real and 1 "fake". They are crazy expensive!
LOL's are the bane of my existence. It wouldnt be so bad if they weren't like $13 each and if they didn't release a new series that she needs :rolleyes: to collect like every 2 months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom