Can I just vent for a minute...?

kimberlymautz

I know with everything going on in the world right now my September/October Disney trip is definitely not high up on anyone's list of "Important things" however having it to look forward to has made the 'Stay Home' order a little easier.

Well I follow a Disney group on Facebook and saw that AT LEAST 25+ people have rescheduled their trips for the same week that I'm supposed to be going and I know more will follow.

Obviously this pandemic isn't their faults (unless they're refusing to stay home and are part of the problem, but I obviously don't know that), but it's such a bummer that it's going to end up being a lot more crowded then I'd hoped. I mean, I already anticipated it being hot and crowded (we've gone the same week before), but I just checked packages out of curiosity and for the same package I have the pricing has increased by over $900.

I know - First World Problems - it just stinks when I can't change my trip because I already paid for my MNSSHP tickets which are non refundable and the entire point of going that week is because it's for my son's 3rd birthday. By the time I could factor in the extra money for his park tickets and food (we have the dining plan and have mostly buffets) my daughter will be turning 10 and the cost for her will increase.

UGH!

Again, I know. I'm just venting on here because I know that you'll "get" that this is frustrating. Obviously I don't want people to have to cancel their trips, or to have this pandemic as the reason for the need to cancel/reschedule them, I just wish they'd pick a different week to reschedule for. 😂

Stay well everyone! Staying home for such long periods of time can be frustrating, but the faster people listen the faster this will pass.

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
I’m guessing if there’s ever a time they’d be flexible about party tickets, it’s now. All kinds of rules go out the window when there’s a hurricane, let alone this.

I already checked. They were super nice about it, but basically because Disney has no plans to be closed then they won't refund. They will however let me choose another party date if I just wanted to move my trip, but quite frankly it doesn't look like anytime this fall will be much better.

Even then I can't make it an earlier date because I can't get off work, but I can't make it later because then my son will already be 3.

At this point I'm too invested in my trip to cancel or reschedule. It's just a bummer. 🤷‍♀️

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

I know with everything going on in the world right now my September/October Disney trip is definitely not high up on anyone's list of "Important things" however having it to look forward to has made the 'Stay Home' order a little easier.

Well I follow a Disney group on Facebook and saw that AT LEAST 25+ people have rescheduled their trips for the same week that I'm supposed to be going and I know more will follow.

Obviously this pandemic isn't their faults (unless they're refusing to stay home and are part of the problem, but I obviously don't know that), but it's such a bummer that it's going to end up being a lot more crowded then I'd hoped. I mean, I already anticipated it being hot and crowded (we've gone the same week before), but I just checked packages out of curiosity and for the same package I have the pricing has increased by over $900.

I know - First World Problems - it just stinks when I can't change my trip because I already paid for my MNSSHP tickets which are non refundable and the entire point of going that week is because it's for my son's 3rd birthday. By the time I could factor in the extra money for his park tickets and food (we have the dining plan and have mostly buffets) my daughter will be turning 10 and the cost for her will increase.

UGH!

Again, I know. I'm just venting on here because I know that you'll "get" that this is frustrating. Obviously I don't want people to have to cancel their trips, or to have this pandemic as the reason for the need to cancel/reschedule them, I just wish they'd pick a different week to reschedule for. 😂

Stay well everyone! Staying home for such long periods of time can be frustrating, but the faster people listen the faster this will pass.

Curious--when is your trip scheduled? I'm set for Sept 20-24, MNSSHP on Sept 22.

Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I mean,.... at this point who knows if the parks will even be fully functional by then or if the party will be allowed under the new operating posture.

For what it's worth, crowds at Disney aren't that bad. And September will still be better than a lot of other times of the year even if it's crowded a bit more than usual.

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Curious--when is your trip scheduled? I'm set for Sept 20-24, MNSSHP on Sept 22.

We're scheduled September 26 - October 5th with MNSSHP on September 29th.

Will your dates be more crowded or less crowded. Thats a BIG unknown.
I know, it's just sad to see so many people rescheduling for then. Obviously other people may cancel their trips and offset the difference, but who knows?

I mean,.... at this point who knows if the parks will even be fully functional by then or if the party will be allowed under the new operating posture.

For what it's worth, crowds at Disney aren't that bad. And September will still be better than a lot of other times of the year even if it's crowded a bit more than usual.
I can't imagine the parks not being open in 6 months. I would be surprised if they open in April or really anytime before mid-May, but by September I would assume (and hope) this will be mostly blown over. 🤞

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Well we all are being disappointed in having our trips either cancelled or at this point remaining in limbo. If ours is cancelled in May we just might have to go in Sept, taking a chance on higher crowds being forced in or bad weather coming in. Certainly not our top choice but we dont have other options because of our particular business schedule. We will do it to make our Disney trip a reality. Weve had a 2 year gap in being able to return... if Sept doesnt work we may have to wait another 2 years. We're all venting that the virus has disrupted our plans and lives.

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Well we all are being disappointed in having our trips either cancelled or at this point remaining in limbo. If ours is cancelled in May we just might have to go in Sept, taking a chance on higher crowds being forced in or bad weather coming in. Certainly not our top choice but we dont have other options because of our particular business schedule. We will do it to make our Disney trip a reality. Weve had a 2 year gap in being able to return... if Sept doesnt work we may have to wait another 2 years. We're all venting that the virus has disrupted our plans and lives.

I completely get it, hence my need to vent. Obviously I understand why people are rescheduling, but it doesn't change being a bit bummed about it. Haha.

Our last trip was January 2019 and after our next trip we won't be back for at least 3 years so I was really hoping we would have moderate crowds so we could enjoy as much as possible. No matter how many people are there we'll still have fun, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want people to choose a different week to reschedule for. Haha.

Hopefully things work out for your May trip, and if not maybe I'll see you in September!

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Frustration is warranted and understandable...but it’s honestly too early to tell what and how things will go.

I’ll tell you this: we haven’t been to wdw for awhile (by our standards)...and I’ll probably look to go a little sooner than I originally thought I would on the other side of the tunnel. But that’s 6 months away at the earliest.

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Frustration is warranted and understandable...but it’s honestly too early to tell what and how things will go.

I’ll tell you this: we haven’t been to wdw for awhile (by our standards)...and I’ll probably look to go a little sooner than I originally thought I would on the other side of the tunnel. But that’s 6 months away at the earliest.

I appreciate your empathy. I didn't want to sound whiny, it's just frustrating. I completely understand that it's no one's fault by any means, but I definitely feel for anyone who had or will have to cancel their trip with everything going on. At least I have 6 months to watch how things go and hopefully see them get better so I can go, for so many others they're having to cancel last minute and choose to make new plans or cancel all together.

In the grand scheme of things other people DEFINITELY have it worse then me (not only from a Disney stand point, but also just in a general health and wellness stand point too) so I don't feel like I deserve to be frustrated, it's just hard when you're looking forward to something. 🤷‍♀️

Upvote 0

RyPat

We just postponed our late April trip until the first 2 weeks of August... certainly not what we were looking forward to weather-wise. But as we are using our DVC points, if/when Disney gets around to closing for our initial April days we didn't want to be left with no availability anywhere. As much as i hope everything gets back to normal soon, i will be quite perturbed if it turns out we could have gone in April... :arghh:

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We just postponed our late April trip until the first 2 weeks of August... certainly not what we were looking forward to weather-wise. But as we are using our DVC points, if/when Disney gets around to closing for our initial April days we didn't want to be left with no availability anywhere. As much as i hope everything gets back to normal soon, i will be quite perturbed if it turns out we could have gone in April... :arghh:
There is as small of a sliver of a chance that it’s possible that they’ll open in April. It just hasn’t gone down the road leading to that.

You prolly did the right thing.

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

Vent away but have hope! People may end up changing their plans all together--who knows what school districts are going to allow as far as absences from the amount of days lost this year; people may need to cancel for financial reasons (I hope not but the longer this goes on, the more a recession is likely). I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that my 8th grader will most likely have his graduation cancelled (my youngest 😩)! We were supposed to go to DLR to celebrate this summer but have totally scrapped those plans (along with his first marathon, our first trip to Yosemite)! That was my mini-vent 😉

Upvote 0

No Name

It’s probably not going to be any more crowded than September/October would’ve been had coronavirus not happened. People on a Disney Facebook group aren’t representative of the general public. While a lot of trips are being rescheduled, a lot of people who would’ve been at the parks won’t be in a position to take an expensive vacation to WDW. I’d be more worried the parks will be understaffed and certain attractions won’t be operating.

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

Original Poster

UGH! I'm so sorry. That's such a difficult choice to have to make, but I think you were smart to change it. I'm hoping they'll be opening sometime in April, but it doesn't seem likely from everything I've read. Better safe then sorry, I'm sure you'll have a great trip either way!

Vent away but have hope! People may end up changing their plans all together--who knows what school districts are going to allow as far as absences from the amount of days lost this year; people may need to cancel for financial reasons (I hope not but the longer this goes on, the more a recession is likely). I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that my 8th grader will most likely have his graduation cancelled (my youngest 😩)! We were supposed to go to DLR to celebrate this summer but have totally scrapped those plans (along with his first marathon, our first trip to Yosemite)! That was my mini-vent 😉

Vent away my friend! I'm trying to stay positive, but it's definitely hard. We were also supposed to be throwing my dad a surprise graduation party (he's been working toward his bachelor's on and off for my entire life and finally over the last year and a half has been HAULING BUTT to get it done) in May and that doesn't seem super likely right now. I'm still trying to stay optimistic about everything, it's just hard with the way everything is right now. You're incredibly correct too. We're doing online learning for my 8 year old until they can go back to school, which I'm hoping they will - she cried when I told her that the state standardized testing is canceled because she was excited about it - to keep them up to date.
I hope that you'll be able to plan something equally as amazing once everything is settled! I've always wanted to go to Yosemite, so if you end up being able to go I'd love to hear about it!

It’s probably not going to be any more crowded than September/October would’ve been had coronavirus not happened. People on a Disney Facebook group aren’t representative of the general public. While a lot of trips are being rescheduled, a lot of people who would’ve been at the parks won’t be in a position to take an expensive vacation to WDW. I’d be more worried the parks will be understaffed and certain attractions won’t be operating.

You are 100% correct. My biggest indication that they're expecting larger crowds is how much the cost has increased. Almost $1000 difference from what I booked to what the pricing was when I checked the other day. I'm hoping it ends up about as crowded as the last time we went in September, but I'm going to prepare for the worst just in case.

Upvote 0

Minnesota disney fan

OP, I have noticed on several Disney sites that many, many people are booking late fall and early winter. I think it's going to be extremely busy just due to what I've read. It seems a lot of people who were booked now thru June or July are rebooking for August thru Dec. I guess if you really want to visit this year, then it will be crowded. Just MHO

Upvote 0

COrunner

I'm with you and totally fine to be 'venting'. Sept/Oct has been my time to go the last 5 years with the logic being schools are in session and other than F/W not too much to draw people to the parks.

Looking at this year my hunch is that even if the parks reopen April'ish that a lot of pre summer guests will push to summer, the fall or hopefully next year.

So time will tell if I book and we try to make a go:)

Upvote 0

yensid67

MY ADVICE...
-> I would call Disney and voice your concerns about your September trip. Most likely they will give you some great advice! But it gives you the opportunity to gather some other ideas on refunds if these closures last into September! I would hope not, but its every changing everyday so we have to deal with it and realize that things happen for a reason and are in the best interests of Guests Safety!

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
OP, I have noticed on several Disney sites that many, many people are booking late fall and early winter. I think it's going to be extremely busy just due to what I've read. It seems a lot of people who were booked now thru June or July are rebooking for August thru Dec. I guess if you really want to visit this year, then it will be crowded. Just MHO
I'm with you and totally fine to be 'venting'. Sept/Oct has been my time to go the last 5 years with the logic being schools are in session and other than F/W not too much to draw people to the parks.

Looking at this year my hunch is that even if the parks reopen April'ish that a lot of pre summer guests will push to summer, the fall or hopefully next year.

So time will tell if I book and we try to make a go:)

I 100% agree with both of you. So many people are rescheduling (which is great - I would hate to think that people have to cancel their trips - that's definitely not what I want) and I've noticed the majority of the dates I'm seeing are September, October, and December. I would have assumed that people wouldn't want to take their kids out in September after being out for so long - especially since there are TONS of schools that have already announced that they won't be reopening this school year, but I guess I'm wrong. I mean, my trip has already been planned so that's different, if I was planning to go in June and rescheduled I probably would have look at January/February. But that's just me.

I'm just going to prepare for a crowded week so that I'm not bummed if we get there and everywhere is packed.

MY ADVICE...
-> I would call Disney and voice your concerns about your September trip. Most likely they will give you some great advice! But it gives you the opportunity to gather some other ideas on refunds if these closures last into September! I would hope not, but its every changing everyday so we have to deal with it and realize that things happen for a reason and are in the best interests of Guests Safety!

I actually e-mailed my travel agent and asked her advice. She said that one of her other clients planned a trip for before their 2 year old turns 3 and had been booked and paid for a while so Disney "gifted" them park tickets for the 3 year old because it wasn't the family's fault the park closed. She said that hopefully they'd do something similar if they end up closed in September still, but with any luck that won't be the case.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom