Can I just vent for a minute...?

kimberlymautz

I know with everything going on in the world right now my September/October Disney trip is definitely not high up on anyone's list of "Important things" however having it to look forward to has made the 'Stay Home' order a little easier.

Well I follow a Disney group on Facebook and saw that AT LEAST 25+ people have rescheduled their trips for the same week that I'm supposed to be going and I know more will follow.

Obviously this pandemic isn't their faults (unless they're refusing to stay home and are part of the problem, but I obviously don't know that), but it's such a bummer that it's going to end up being a lot more crowded then I'd hoped. I mean, I already anticipated it being hot and crowded (we've gone the same week before), but I just checked packages out of curiosity and for the same package I have the pricing has increased by over $900.

I know - First World Problems - it just stinks when I can't change my trip because I already paid for my MNSSHP tickets which are non refundable and the entire point of going that week is because it's for my son's 3rd birthday. By the time I could factor in the extra money for his park tickets and food (we have the dining plan and have mostly buffets) my daughter will be turning 10 and the cost for her will increase.

UGH!

Again, I know. I'm just venting on here because I know that you'll "get" that this is frustrating. Obviously I don't want people to have to cancel their trips, or to have this pandemic as the reason for the need to cancel/reschedule them, I just wish they'd pick a different week to reschedule for. 😂

Stay well everyone! Staying home for such long periods of time can be frustrating, but the faster people listen the faster this will pass.

Shouldigo12

Just go and have fun and don’t worry about the crowds... traveling with a 3 year old will slow you down anyway. Go.... enjoy it and leave all your worries behind!
Plus, if we dont have school again this year, parents really shouldn’t take their kids out of school this upcoming September. (I’m not saying it would be bad if they did, but as a teacher, I personally think they shouldn’t after being out of school for possibly 5-6 months).
For me it would depend on the age and difficulty of the class schedule of the child involved. I feel like a first grader, while still behind, wouldn't have too hard of a time catching up. But a high schooler with multiple AP classes? Missing the first week could cause a nightmare.

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Me too! I feel it should be 3 AND under, especially when it comes to the dining plan. I can’t imagine paying the same amount for my 3 year old as my 9 year old. He hardly eats anything and I usually share whatever I get with him. Anyway, when I rescheduled the trip the CM didn’t say anything about this. Anyone know if they will ask about this when we go??

I agree! I mean, my almost 9 year old eats 90% more then my 2 year old does. Or create a preschool plan for little kids. Not that it would be easy by any means, but still. My almost 9 year old will definitely finish her meals while my son will have 1/4 of it and the rest will be tossed.

If you decide to just not say anything, be careful because cast members will ask the kids how old they are. We brought my niece with us a few years ago when she was about 2.5 and cast members at check in, at the park entrances, and at all of the buffets asked her directly how old she was. We got her own meals at QS locations or we got enough between all of us to share with her, but she was constantly asked how old she was. On the bright side, we finally taught her to hold up 2 fingers when she said two instead of holding up 10. 😂🤷‍♀️

Upvote 0

Shouldigo12

I read an article earlier today that suggested we may be looking at intermittent restrictions until an effective treatment or vaccine is found. If that's true, DW may have to operate seasonally for awhile.

And because I know someone will ask; I don't have time to look for the article right now, but I'll post it when I get off work.

Upvote 0

Nottamus

I’m supposed to be at WDW right now. Having coffee at AKL in my little private usual spot.
obviously we had to cancel, and because being DVC and limited booking window, I’m set to lose some points .....but enough about me..

we also have a two week trip booked in November that hopefully we get to take.
I’ve thought about the crowds, and really think there will be many who cancel. Wait until next year.
You might have seen 25+ people in a group pick your week, but you didn’t see the possibly hundreds who decided to cancel. (Maybe) (who knows).

I’m just hoping by November we are out of the woods. If not by then...WDW would be the last thing I’d be thinking of.

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
I’m supposed to be at WDW right now. Having coffee at AKL in my little private usual spot.
obviously we had to cancel, and because being DVC and limited booking window, I’m set to lose some points .....but enough about me..

we also have a two week trip booked in November that hopefully we get to take.
I’ve thought about the crowds, and really think there will be many who cancel. Wait until next year.
You might have seen 25+ people in a group pick your week, but you didn’t see the possibly hundreds who decided to cancel. (Maybe) (who knows).

I’m just hoping by November we are out of the woods. If not by then...WDW would be the last thing I’d be thinking of.

Ugh. I'm sorry that your trip got canceled, but I hope that you and your family are staying well at home. You're 100% right, there are definitely more important things to be worried about right now. Planning my Disney trip just happened to be one of the few things to look forward to - the light at the end of this (really horrible) tunnel. Obviously if things aren't better relatively soon we'll end up being amongst those to reschedule, but with it being 6ish months away I'm still holding out hope for now.

Now that Disney has offered the free dining for those rescheduled I feel like it'll bring larger crowds for my week (permitting that things take a MAJOR turn and very quickly) - but you're absolutely correct. No one will know until it actually happens.

Upvote 0

ELG13

This was the reason why we decided to cancel bout May trip and wait until next may. I feel like the parks are going to be more crowded than ever for the next year or so just because of people rescheduling. I'm sure that even next May well probably be higher than normal....I just can't wait any longer than another year. We had to cancel last year's trip due to a medical emergency and we booked what should be our trip this May to make up for the missed trip last September. I get the frustration. I play our dates pretty carefully to try and avoid crowds when possible.

Upvote 0

Plowboy

Add me to the list of the disappointed, frustrated, p*ssed, etc. There's nobody to blame, it's out of all of our control so we just have to hope for the best and roll with it. Our story is we were supposed to be at WDW mid-April for our 40th anniversary. I worked long and hard on flights, meals, fast passes and even had seats for Chris Botti in Clearwater. And to top it off, we purchased AP's last fall with 3 trips in mind in an attempt to get more "bang for the buck". Pfffttt, it's all out the window. Luckily we got almost all our money back and we still have the late Sept. trip scheduled (fingers crossed). The most important thing is we haven't been affected health-wise by all of this. Hopefully "this too shall pass".

Upvote 0

ELG13

I think a large part of my frustrations come from the fact that I know many of us are doing our part to slow the spread, flatten the curve, but we also seem to be the ones that are losing out on things because of people that think it's no big deal, a media and government hoax, and continue to disregard stay at home orders.

Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I think a large part of my frustrations come from the fact that I know many of us are doing our part to slow the spread, flatten the curve, but we also seem to be the ones that are losing out on things because of people that think it's no big deal, a media and government hoax, and continue to disregard stay at home orders.

Well..... the holdup here will be testing, antibodies, vaccines, and treatments. If we all come out of hiding right now, this thing will start back up again in a huge way. If we have any hope that WDW will operate as normal in the future, those things have to be in place. Testing so they can track down cases and anyone they came into contact with and isolate those people. Antibodies and vaccines for herd immunity like with the flu or measles. And treatments, like with the flu, that make it less life threatening and maybe a little less contagious.

So it's not the people disregarding the stay at home orders that are dragging this out, it's just going to take time for science to catch up to this brand new virus.

Upvote 0

BroSav10

I agree! I mean, my almost 9 year old eats 90% more then my 2 year old does. Or create a preschool plan for little kids. Not that it would be easy by any means, but still. My almost 9 year old will definitely finish her meals while my son will have 1/4 of it and the rest will be tossed.

If you decide to just not say anything, be careful because cast members will ask the kids how old they are. We brought my niece with us a few years ago when she was about 2.5 and cast members at check in, at the park entrances, and at all of the buffets asked her directly how old she was. We got her own meals at QS locations or we got enough between all of us to share with her, but she was constantly asked how old she was. On the bright side, we finally taught her to hold up 2 fingers when she said two instead of holding up 10. 😂🤷‍♀️

Unless he gets significantly better at it by September I don’t foresee this being a problem. Right now anytime someone asks him how old he is he holds up his hand and says “5”. As in “give me five” 😂. I’ve tried to correct him but he still does it. He is a little bit tall for his age , usually 80th percentile but I think he still looks and talks like a typical 2 year old. He’ll turn 3 in July and we’re going in September, so 2 months past 3. I took the advice given and changed his birthday in MDE to October. We already have magic bands and everything since we were supposed to go in March, and then May. Already completed check in and everything so I’m hoping the only place I’d have to worry about it is the turnstiles. I hate feeling like I’m breaking the rules but I’m already out some money from having to reschedule it twice, and even more having to upgrade the dining plan to the standard DDP since we’re staying at a moderate, and they only had a preferred room available so I’m going to end up spending $1k more than I originally would have. Had I originally wanted to go in September I wouldn’t even think about pretending he’s still 2.

Upvote 0

ELG13

Well..... the holdup here will be testing, antibodies, vaccines, and treatments. If we all come out of hiding right now, this thing will start back up again in a huge way. If we have any hope that WDW will operate as normal in the future, those things have to be in place. Testing so they can track down cases and anyone they came into contact with and isolate those people. Antibodies and vaccines for herd immunity like with the flu or measles. And treatments, like with the flu, that make it less life threatening and maybe a little less contagious.

So it's not the people disregarding the stay at home orders that are dragging this out, it's just going to take time for science to catch up to this brand new virus.

They are for sure dragging out the quarantine window. I'm cautiously optimistic with things slowly going back to normal in China. It will be a while before any type of vaccine is developed so unless this is the way everyone wants to live for the next year, we've got to get the numbers under control and decreasing. The only thing that gets us there is people staying at home and letting the virus that is already here run its course. when you see places with cases going down and deaths going down, it's because they were locked down for weeks. The willy nilly social distancing stuff helps but doesn't do it. Where I am there are so many people that don't think we need to behave like new York or Italy because our population isn't as dense. Its absolutely not as dense....but even more reason to stay away. We would have a much easier time controlling it here if everyone just did what they were supposed to for a few weeks. My family and I have been in our house for 3 weeks now. But I see locals posting on Facebook of huge groups of people meeting with their boats on these islands. The cops come, tell them it's closed but if they space their boats and break into smaller groups it's ok. They still argue and don't do it and the cops just leave because they don't have the ability to do anything else than encourage them to do what is being asked of every citizen. That type of selfishness makes it hard for life to get back to ANY type of normalcy before a vaccine is created. I do agree that Science is going to have to catch up but we can all do our part to help. Heck, I'm over my trip being cancelled and I know that places like WDW will be closed until some sort of real solution is here, but i'd just like to know I can go grocery shopping and get what I need without head counts. I'd love to be able to go sit at a dang restaurant!

Upvote 0

wedenterprises

Definitely sad to have to cancel our May WDW trip in the midst of this. Like all of you, WDW is a source of deep happiness to me and something to constantly look forward to. Adding 365 days to the countdown was hard...as was deleting flights and plans from our calendar and cancelling flights etc. I'll look forward to May 2021 now. Gotta move on!

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
They are for sure dragging out the quarantine window. I'm cautiously optimistic with things slowly going back to normal in China. It will be a while before any type of vaccine is developed so unless this is the way everyone wants to live for the next year, we've got to get the numbers under control and decreasing. The only thing that gets us there is people staying at home and letting the virus that is already here run its course. when you see places with cases going down and deaths going down, it's because they were locked down for weeks. The willy nilly social distancing stuff helps but doesn't do it. Where I am there are so many people that don't think we need to behave like new York or Italy because our population isn't as dense. Its absolutely not as dense....but even more reason to stay away. We would have a much easier time controlling it here if everyone just did what they were supposed to for a few weeks. My family and I have been in our house for 3 weeks now. But I see locals posting on Facebook of huge groups of people meeting with their boats on these islands. The cops come, tell them it's closed but if they space their boats and break into smaller groups it's ok. They still argue and don't do it and the cops just leave because they don't have the ability to do anything else than encourage them to do what is being asked of every citizen. That type of selfishness makes it hard for life to get back to ANY type of normalcy before a vaccine is created. I do agree that Science is going to have to catch up but we can all do our part to help. Heck, I'm over my trip being cancelled and I know that places like WDW will be closed until some sort of real solution is here, but i'd just like to know I can go grocery shopping and get what I need without head counts. I'd love to be able to go sit at a dang restaurant!

It AMAZES me how incredibly selfish some people can be. My former manager just lost her father in law to the Coronavirus, a current coworker of mine is in the hospital super sick, a friend from high school tested positive but is luckily a mild enough case she's home, but states feeling horrible.

I just don't understand it. COVID-19 isn't discriminating against age, race, gender, nothing. I've heard of infants and kids dying from it and everything I read before stated they were all going to be fine. A friend of a friend died from it - perfectly healthy 30 year old. No one is immune and yet everyone is acting like they are.

I have anxiety, though a VERY mild form of it Thank goodness, but I STRUGGLE having to go anywhere. It makes me so nervous. If things aren't better by like summer time then I'll end up rescheduling our trip, but for now I'm still holding out hope.

Upvote 0

ELG13

It AMAZES me how incredibly selfish some people can be. My former manager just lost her father in law to the Coronavirus, a current coworker of mine is in the hospital super sick, a friend from high school tested positive but is luckily a mild enough case she's home, but states feeling horrible.

I just don't understand it. COVID-19 isn't discriminating against age, race, gender, nothing. I've heard of infants and kids dying from it and everything I read before stated they were all going to be fine. A friend of a friend died from it - perfectly healthy 30 year old. No one is immune and yet everyone is acting like they are.

I have anxiety, though a VERY mild form of it Thank goodness, but I STRUGGLE having to go anywhere. It makes me so nervous. If things aren't better by like summer time then I'll end up rescheduling our trip, but for now I'm still holding out hope.
My uncle needed bypass surgery this week (of all weeks to need it) and had to be out on a ventilator (obviously). I can't imagine if he had been in one of the places overrun with the virus. I guess he would have had to been transported to another facility as he was having mini heart attacks while waiting for his procedure to start. He couldn't not have waited very long. People don't get that it's not about "oh I'm healthy" "it's like the flu". The problem is many people need hospitalization from it, much more than the flu, and many MANY more people require ventilation. Hospitals simply can't handle the influx. That's the problem. They are selfish and somehow still uninformed.

Upvote 0

Shouldigo12

My uncle needed bypass surgery this week (of all weeks to need it) and had to be out on a ventilator (obviously). I can't imagine if he had been in one of the places overrun with the virus. I guess he would have had to been transported to another facility as he was having mini heart attacks while waiting for his procedure to start. He couldn't not have waited very long. People don't get that it's not about "oh I'm healthy" "it's like the flu". The problem is many people need hospitalization from it, much more than the flu, and many MANY more people require ventilation. Hospitals simply can't handle the influx. That's the problem. They are selfish and somehow still uninformed.
I hope the best for your uncle.

Upvote 0

note2001

Sending a hug and positive thoughts.

I try not to focus on the fear, but on the universal love being shown by those who are doing the best they can for each other.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom