Can a post 2016 resale buyer get TIW

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I have a membership number...are you saying I am not a member, if not what am I?
You have a membership number - what you do not have, and are not eligible for - is a blue membership card, which is what is required to receive any discounts or member extras. The TiW card is a considered a membership extra, just like the dining and shopping discounts. You are simply not eligible for them.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
You have a membership number - what you do not have, and are not eligible for - is a blue membership card, which is what is required to receive any discounts or member extras. The TiW card is a considered a membership extra, just like the dining and shopping discounts. You are simply not eligible for them.

correcaminos

First, why would I not get a dining plan for my family of 4 with 2 kids? We have reservations that we would make. Very odd statement to make.
I am not trying to circumvent anything. In all honesty it took several posts to figure out if I could or not(and even now it seems a bit in the air), I a not stealing anything, I would be spending$150 on a card that will then ensure I spend or try to spend $750 dollars to break even. If I don't spend that, why they come out ahead. Seems a win/win for them, no?
Because most of the time you have to work very hard to make the dining plan work in your favor. Admittedly after running the numbers so many times, it has never worked in our favor and I think it's a moneymaker as a whole for Disney.

So not really an odd statement since it's more often than not more expensive than out of pocket. Particularly if you are dealing with people who do not plan well.

As for getting the TIW, it is actually extremely clear that you are not eligible for this perk. You might be lucky and get a cast member who will sell it to you, but this is not something you're actually supposed to be able to get unless you are DVC full member, annual passholder, or Florida resident. You may think that you are not circumventing anything by trying to buy it, but you really are. Also the break-even point for you would be less than $750 simply because with the way taxes and such a calculated with the discount, you don't need the full $750.

Go ahead and try and get it, but don't be upset or anything if you were told no which will likely happen if you do in person. Over the phone they seem to forget to ask for valid memberships for whatever dumb reason which means you might be able to get it.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Because most of the time you have to work very hard to make the dining plan work in your favor. Admittedly after running the numbers so many times, it has never worked in our favor and I think it's a moneymaker as a whole for Disney.

So not really an odd statement since it's more often than not more expensive than out of pocket. Particularly if you are dealing with people who do not plan well.

As for getting the TIW, it is actually extremely clear that you are not eligible for this perk. You might be lucky and get a cast member who will sell it to you, but this is not something you're actually supposed to be able to get unless you are DVC full member, annual passholder, or Florida resident. You may think that you are not circumventing anything by trying to buy it, but you really are. Also the break-even point for you would be less than $750 simply because with the way taxes and such a calculated with the discount, you don't need the full $750.

Go ahead and try and get it, but don't be upset or anything if you were told no which will likely happen if you do in person. Over the phone they seem to forget to ask for valid memberships for whatever dumb reason which means you might be able to get it.
Let's be clear. If I called they asked for my number and I gave it to them. I am not circumventing anything. I am providing the information they ask for. I am not misrepresenting anything. And of course I am not upset about it. Child slavery, children not having enough to eat, these are things to get upset about, not weather I get a tables in wonderland card for a 10 day trip

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
By calling, you are attempting to. You know the answer and yet you still want to try. You want full perks? Buy direct. By passing off your white card number as blue, you are misrepresenting your ownership status,

You are an adult and do as you wish. I just get tired of people looking for justification of going against rules. Bringing up real world problems and acting like I equate them on the same level is ridiculous though. Enjoy your day.
You know, I did research this further on another forum, and its interesting, turns out someone just called and flat out said they were a resale dvc buyer, and they had purchased after the 2016 rule changes, and the CM said that's fine, they just needed a number. If you don't see this as an ambiguous policy I cant help that,
It is not a "perk" so to speak. They want you spending money there. I have no idea why this bothered you so much in the first place as it has a zero negative effect on anybody. But one thing I did come away from with this there are some real prickly pears on here. Now I best be getting back to my place under the stairs with the rest of the resale folk.

Scubacat

If you then click on Dining Discounts you can see Tables in Wonderland listed there with the $25 off. It is a Membership Extra.
Except..... top of the world lounge is also on that list, and that is explicitly NOT limited to blue card holders.

I see your point, but it's always been one of the many grey areas of this era of tiered memberships. The member extras disclosure seems intentionally vague as to what's limited, probably so it can be changed on a whim. In fact, the TIW site seems to say that only FL residents and AP holders can buy over the phone, yet that's not true either.

We live in a crazy world.

Lensman

Except..... top of the world lounge is also on that list, and that is explicitly NOT limited to blue card holders.
Which list are you talking about? In the table on the first page, Top of the World Lounge has a checkmark for "Available When Purchased via 3rd-Party Resale".

Over on the "Member Discounts" page, they do have a 10% food discount when booking it exclusively.

Though I guess you could argue that the verbiage focuses on access to the lounge itself. OTOH, there is that green check mark on the original page.

Really it's all such a small point it's not worth arguing over. And certainly not worth risking online friendships over. I hope we can all agree to get along. :)

correcaminos

I see your point, but it's always been one of the many grey areas of this era of tiered memberships. The member extras disclosure seems intentionally vague as to what's limited, probably so it can be changed on a whim. In fact, the TIW site seems to say that only FL residents and AP holders can buy over the phone, yet that's not true either.

We live in a crazy world.
Yes, TOWL is on the list, but if you look it is marked as YES for both. Dining discounts are not. It's not really all the vague or gray area to me.

And if you look on Disney's site about TIW, they have DVC listed. So again, not misleading or vague to me. I think they've been pretty clear on with restrictions on what you can and cannot get.

Which list are you talking about? In the table on the first page, Top of the World Lounge has a checkmark for "Available When Purchased via 3rd-Party Resale".
View attachment 375307

Over on the "Member Discounts" page, they do have a 10% food discount when booking it exclusively.
View attachment 375308
Though I guess you could argue that the verbiage focuses on access to the lounge itself. OTOH, there is that green check mark on the original page.

Really it's all such a small point it's not worth arguing over. And certainly not worth risking online friendships over. I hope we can all agree to get along. :)
When I click through the TOWL links, it doesn't list the dining discount, just how to get up, parking, what's there etc. So by the list I see discounts no, TOWL access yes.

But I agree not worth risking online friendships. Truth be told, I don't care if someone tries to get it. Just if someone asks, I give the answer (whether they like it or not LOL). Agreeing to disagree is a fantastic thing for online groups :)

Last edited:

Lensman

When I click through the TOWL links, it doesn't list the dining discount, just how to get up, parking, what's there etc. So by the list I see discounts no, TOWL access yes.
The "member discounts" page is the one you get to by clicking on the "Dining Discounts" link that you mentioned. In addition to TIW, you can manipulate the filter options to get it to spit out the 10% TotWL catering discount. That whole quote from me is me trying to figure out what page @Scubacat is talking about in their post.

YorkshireT

Committing fraud, I’ve heard it all now. “Are you a member?” “ Yes”. For a start there is no misrepresentation. Most people ringing up will have no idea someone is posting on a forum it is direct buyers only, after x date owning x point etc etc. They are asked a question and answer it- yes I am a member. So there is no fraud. Second I’ve seen stories of people even telling them they are resale members and even then being sold it. This here says it’s available to DVC members- https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_GB/dining/tables-in-wonderland/ There is actually nothing on there I can see saying you need to be a direct member and it says if you are buying in person you can produce either a membership card OR membership ID (which is white digital card). To advertise this like this and then restrict to only members who had bought direct would be a breach of advertising regulations in the U.K. but I won’t be making a formal complaint to the Advertising Standards Agency.

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
FWIW I have a blue membership card. And I can’t even begin to imagine wanting special things that resale buyers don’t have access too. If you’re a member you’re a member. If DVC doesn’t want resale then they shouldn’t allow resale. Drives me absolutely bonkers.

I had season tickets to the Mets (I am an idiot I know.) we had access to a few of the Citi Field clubs. Along with any Joe Schmo who bought tickets in the same section on stub hub. And why shouldn’t it be that way?

Lensman

Maybe because it’s a dumb rule to begin with? So reasonable CMs don’t bother with it?
I think that's a conspiracy theory! Lol. Do you honestly think that could be the case? It would be wonderful if it was.

I suspect it is just an example of more typical imprecision in applying a rule.

I get tired of people trying to justify garbage rules arbitrarily made my Disney to try and stick it to resale purchasers. 🤷‍♂️
I don't see anyone here "justifying" the rules. Some people are just sticklers for these rules and I think it's acceptable that they do. I don't think there's a need to attack others for feeling the way they feel. I think we should just disagree with them and move on.

FWIW I have a blue membership card. And I can’t even begin to imagine wanting special things that resale buyers don’t have access too. If you’re a member you’re a member. If DVC doesn’t want resale then they shouldn’t allow resale. Drives me absolutely bonkers.

I had season tickets to the Mets (I am an idiot I know.) we had access to a few of the Citi Field clubs. Along with any Joe Schmo who bought tickets in the same section on stub hub. And why shouldn’t it be that way?
I disagree with the idea of encouraging Disney to somehow ban resale - for one, it might actually be illegal according to timeshare law. At any rate, what are you really proposing when you say "If DVC doesn’t want resale then they shouldn’t allow resale."? I suspect that you're just mad about it, and I don't blame you, but I don't see the sense in making nonsensical statements rather than simply stating: "It makes me angry." I believe we should each embrace our feelings and not displace them onto others. Don't get mad at @helenabear when you're really just mad at Disney Vacation Development, Inc.

Plus you should just call up and buy your TiW regardless of whether you hold a blue card (though IIRC, you do hold one). It doesn't bother me any.

Note: I noticed that the DVC and passholder fee for TiW is $25 cheaper than the Florida resident rate, so I do wonder if DVC is paying for these rights, and I further wonder if they are paying based on the number of people who sign up?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I always think there are two kinds of people, the ones who like staying within the lines and the ones who prefer to go offroad.

Ah. I disagree wholeheartedly. People all have different moral lines. And they are all squiggly. What might be a problem in your view is perfectly acceptable in someone else’s. Like maybe their job is to sell unneeded services to uninformed consumers, you might think that is a very immoral way to earn a living, they might see it differently.

Meanwhile something they find reprehensible, like buying a TiW card when your a dirty white card holder, you might think is no big deal.

YorkshireT

What I don't understand is why everyone feels the need to justify so much. Do whatever you want really.

My only negative comment is that when you abuse a system it goes away. Just keep it in mind. That's it period. If you don't care, then go buy it. I haven't used it since it was DDE and only $75 so no skin off my back. I do think you are a bit much saying it's a breach of advertising regulations. They have stars all over clarifying that Membership Magic ( think that's the real name now) isn't for all. That list shows it too.

I wasn't trying to discount what you said, but more to agree with you. Sorry it came out weirdly.

I think we're beating a dead horse. Obviously some want this that bad. I personally don't spend even close to $1400 on food or drink to make this worth it...

I have no interest in buying TIW myself, I spend nowhere near ithe sum either. Anyway I have the blue card (and as you say would have to spend closer to $1400 anyway due to 10% discount anyway).

OPs question was can they get TIW as a resale buyer.

Answer is many people get it as a resale buyer. People have reported getting it even when (unnecessarily) telling them they are a resale buyer. Answer is you can buy over the phone also as. DVC member even though it says AP and residents can. A poster was quite adamant neither was possible, and then when evidence showed otherwise resorted to saying people who did were committing fraud, even when said people were making no misrepresentations when buying the card and answering questions truthfully.

Also on the link I posted up advertising it, it says you can get it as a member with a white digital card, with no restrictions as to type of member mentioned. It would thus be illegal here in the U.K. at least to advertise it as such and not sell it to white card holders and the ASA could become involved. Said poster said you needed a blue card, but that isn’t what is said on the link advertising it, it says card or Member ID which is the white card (if you only have resale post changes, when logged in the DVC website says click the link for your Membership ID which takes you to the white digital card, if you have a blue card the link on the DVC website changes and then it says click here for membership card, so white card is definitely called membership ID on the DVC website at least).

So I see no moral, legal, ethical or other reason not to answer any questions truthfully and buy it. After all it must be also a nice revenue spinner for Disney, such cards giving discounts to big spenders ( or any loyalty cards where they offer discounts day 1) are usually given away or sold at nominal sums as they encourage more spending and greater revenue. Here Disney manage to get away with also charging a not insubstantial $150. Maybe it suits them to indicate somewhere (? Is this even clearly stated anywhere ?) it’s for direct buyers only to help sell timeshare, and have their cake and eat it as such. It is not for the consumer to spend hours trawling forums and reading small print to ascertain whether they may or may not be precluded from buying something.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Hey @Club Cooloholic, are you still in Tampa as your profile states? So you can get TiW regardless and you're just asking to see if you can get the extra $25 off? Or were you asking for a friend?

I'm also surprised that you're a post-2016 buyer. I thought you owned for much longer.

Also, I still can't get used to your name change. Honestly, I preferred the original one better. Not sure why.

Note: For clarity, I want to make sure that you know that all of the above is meant in a super-friendly way. I feel you've always been supportive of me and I want to support you back. Well, the $25 thing can't be said to be supportive. It's more surprising to me but I didn't want you to take it as an attack since I value you as a "board buddy".
No offense taken man. I changed the name a bit back to get something more "Disney"and I love club cool, it's a tradition to hit it and try it all, even though I am not really a soda drinker.
I was asking for myself btw because I could not find a clear answer, and yes well aware of the only being a $25 dollar difference.
In the end, if someone asked me if resale could get the card it's still a big maybe??? And @helenabear is right the rules in some places say no dice, but others are less clear so future readers of this wacky thread be warned, don't go there expecting you can get a card at the park. Maybe you will...maybe you won't, I don't think Disney is worried all that much either way. We are all DVC members they got us under lock and key lol.
Alas, I am a post 2016 buyer, I can't wait to get to the Riveria though and rub it into post 2019 buyers that can't use their points there! Totally just kidding :)

Last edited:

correcaminos

First off stop the grandstanding and talking entitlement. Only one person here is acting entitled in the sense most of us think it means.
You have a level of arrogance that I don't believe you realize seeps through pretty much all of your responses. Honestly its a DVC timeshare, people that proclaim to be "proud" members, I don't really get it. You haven't donated to a charity and gotten your name on a plaque or anything. It's not even a country club somebody vouched you to get in. My original question was could I get one. That has been answered. I can get one without lying, there is conflicting wording on the site. I asked how the "priviledge" could be taken away as a result of a resale buyers getting TIW cards because you said that is what will ultimately happen. Really why would that be the case?
I don't plan to get one btw, because after running numbers I don't like feeling I need to spend x dollars to justify it and I won't be coming back for a few years, I already get 10 percent off most of the restaurants I have planned. But if I did plan on it and was rejected, well I would disagree with it I have better things to do than fight it.
It bothers you people would try to get it so own that. Don't suddenly say "I really don't care, but if you want to break rules and hey here are some screen shots that I researched to prove you are, but I really don't care" its hilarious.

You have gone out of your way to make anyone who would dare to get one feel lesser and bad about it good for you, but I don't believe it's explicitly in the rules. Yeah yeah point to that chart, but other places say otherwise as does real world experience. More than one poster has shown other verbage on the site and real world instances of getting it. It also says on the official website check in is after 4pm...I guess you always only try to check in after 4pm right? After all I can show you a screen shot!
I'm not sure where we are getting off on the wrong foot, so I'll start again.

I said in my first post, no you aren't supposed to get it, but calling has better results. Just technically it isn't allowable due to it being a dining discount. Really there is nothing more to it for me than that.

We got into a discussion then on the technicalities of it all really. Again, go for it as I said more than once, but just don't be shocked if they say no.

I am not sure why you think I look on resale buyers as lesser people. I'm one of them. If we do it again, I'll likely buy resale so we can do more cabin stays. I'm really an easy going person about things like that. I live in a place where people do judge for what you have or don't, and well, I think it's crappy.

So I say kudos to you for saving by buying resale. While I did do a direct purchase and my resale were already grandfathered in, the bulk of my points are resale because it's smart buying. I mean really smart buying. Only small contracts or new resorts are often not a bad deal direct (mine were all small and new resorts with cash payments so no extra fees at the time). So I think it's great and no, I don't love what Disney did with the market.

I like to save money or get my value (fortunately my directs purchases still balance out to a low cost per point average thanks to my resale). I suggest to any friend who goes to consider resale too. It's a good thing, perks or not. Only perk I use really often is the AP discount and the Epcot lounge. I think it's crappy you guys don't get the lounge (though some hate it there, it reminds me of my childhood).

I think if you did want to try to buy, you have to do it on the phone. In person is more likely to have an issue. So again I'm not sure where I went wrong, but maybe being technical (which I do often as I have an IT background) threw you and a couple others off. It truly wasn't meant in a mean way at all.

So olive branch?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom