Camera Stops Traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeTrip

burningstroller said:
couldnt the same be said in reverse? someone goes to Disney once in their life and finds themeselves stopping every 5 minutes for someone taking a picture? Couldnt the person taking the photo just wait a min or two for the opportune moment to press that little button? After all, it's THEIR picture...

I sense alot of hidden rage in these posts :-\. I always stop for people taking pictures. You're at Disney, you have to expect people to take pictures. However if they're doing it on a REALLY crowded walkway .. well, then they really shouldn't expect to get a good shot, but i'll still wait if other people do. I'm certainly not gonna walk in front of them if they almost have an open shot.

iluvmybeast

who says you have to stop?? i have never in all the 20+ times i have gone to disney had to stop while someone took a picture. i usually walk around them. and most of them are standing there, waiting for the perfect time to take their picture, i.e. when no one is walking in front of them. they stand there, fingers poised on the shutter, waiting for people like you to be gone so they can get a clear shot of their families or whoever :p

mrneon606

I dont think anyone needs to get outta my way to take a pic. I can wait until it is cleared but there is no need to be rude and purposely get in my way just to ruin my picture..

wannab@dis

Raven66 said:
I always try to be respectful of someone taking a picture, because I hope they do the same for me. Just wait until you want to take a picture and someone does that to you. It's not a very nice thing to do or say. :(

Yep, I try to hold up and let people get their shot. Many times I'll go one step further and ask if they would like me to take their picture as a family! I know how it is to have pictures from Disney with one person always missing. :lol:

wannab@dis

PhotoDave219 said:
Ive learned to live with it. It irritates me, but i just deal with it. Its just a picture (usually) ... however if its a shot of a loved one and i missed the moment, i'll generally say something in my typical, usual, tactful way...

:lol:

I can only imagine, Dave! My tact seems to get me in trouble for some reason. :D

Laura

Premium Member
I don't like when everyone stops and waits for me. Then I feel pressured to hurry up and take the shot because people are waiting, instead of taking my time and composing it well. That's why a lot of my Disney pictures are so blah, I always feel rushed.

s2jrston

Original Poster
Laura22 said:
I don't like when everyone stops and waits for me....

That's what I think is at the heart of this thread. I don't expect people to stop and wait for me to take a picture. Please don't. I can't wave you through because I don't see you in the frame. I'm looking in the view finder not at how many people are behind YOU waiting for US. No thank you.

s2jrston

Original Poster
wannab@dis said:
Yep, I try to hold up and let people get their shot. Many times I'll go one step further and ask if they would like me to take their picture as a family! I know how it is to have pictures from Disney with one person always missing. :lol:

I love to take pictures for people, specially in line. I like to tell everybody to stand closer, even the people who are not in the family requesting the photo, because they're not in the frame. If it's a digital camera I like to hold down the shutter release while I'm not even looking through the view finder to get candid shots when they are not even ready. Then I like to get characters and CMs involved as much as possible. I like to make a big production out of it. Stop traffic and gather a crowd. I think it makes it fun and seems to bring smiles to people's faces even if they are laughing at me. So what. Lets all have fun today. Sometimes I get asked, "Do you work here?" Nope that guy just asked to take a picture of him and his date! :lol:

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
burningstroller said:
so you're saying that everyone one around you should stop what they are doing (ie: walking somewhere) to make sure you get the 'shot'? whenever I encounter people taking pictures...they are trying to take a picture across a very crowded walkway expecting 100's of people to hit the brakes. Haven't we had this conversation before? You know, the one about 'entitled people'. Do you feel that your admission ticket was worth more? Maybe along with the park hopper option they added a photo option to the tickets that I was unaware of. For 10 dollars more a day, every guest in the park will be sure to stay out of your way, no matter how inconvenient, in order for you to take that award winning picture with your disposable Fuji.

You know that is not what was said. A simple act of courtesy for a second or two is not stopping the world. I'm glad you are enjoying the argument for arguments' sake, but it doesn't have a place here. Inappropriate postings IMHO.

s2jrston

Original Poster
ClemsonTigger said:
You know that is not what was said. A simple act of courtesy for a second or two is not stopping the world. I'm glad you are enjoying the argument for arguments' sake, but it doesn't have a place here. Inappropriate postings IMHO.

I disagree! This is exactly the issue. What is courtesy? Is it more courteous to stop for a photographer or to keep walking and not hold up traffic? Keep walking people. :mad:

TimeTrip

s2jrston said:
I disagree! This is exactly the issue. What is courtesy? Is it more courteous to stop for a photographer or to keep walking and not hold up traffic? Keep walking people. :mad:

Since you asked. IMO, unless its a REALLY crowded walkway, its more courteous to STOP for a photographer. Jeez, take a couple of seconds out of your day to relax a bit. I mean.. where's the fire? Are you one of those people that get really annoyed when people don't move up into the 3 feet of open space that opened up in front of them while waiting in line?

s2jrston

Original Poster
TimeTrip said:
Since you asked. IMO, unless its a REALLY crowded walkway, its more courteous to STOP for a photographer. Jeez, take a couple of seconds out of your day to relax a bit. I mean.. where's the fire? Are you one of those people that get really annoyed when people don't move up into the 3 feet of open space that opened up in front of them while waiting in line?

No. In this thread I'm the photographer waiting for the people to walk in front of the camera so I can take their photo. And... I'm the photographer that can't believe somebody would hold up hundreds of people behind them for my sake.

No fire. I'm the photographer willing to spend a half hour taking your family's picture.

WDWEric

I don't believe i have seen hundreds of people stop so someone can take a picture. A little exagerated dont you think

s2jrston

Original Poster
WDWEric said:
I don't believe i have seen hundreds of people stop so someone can take a picture. A little exagerated dont you think

During peak times, my assertion is that there are hundreds of people on the paths connecting the lands in MK, the continents in AK or the main path around WS in Epcot and that I would sometimes like to take a picture there but don't want you to stop and wait.

shoppingnut

I think that hundreds of people is a gross exaggeration of the situation too. If walking around the people or waiting 15 seconds is really going to inconvenience your day, I wonder what other insignificancies also do. I guess the long lines at snack stands, restaurants, rides and too many people in the park are another annoyance for you too.

Most of us here are lucky enough to go to disney more than once in our lifetime. That is not so with everyone else and thus their photos are important to them and it doesn't matter if it is $5 disposable or $1000 camera, those photos are going to be that families memories. So purposely wrecking someone's photos and memories isn't very nice at all. I was lucky, my family did get to go to disney when I was 15, but that was our only trip there and my photo's from that trip are special.
A little common courtesy doesn't hurt.

s2jrston

Original Poster
Good points ShoppingNut. It really is a minor annoyance. Why should a photographer worry about people stopping and waiting for him to capture a magic moment? And you're right, other peoples memories are more important than me getting to HM before my FastPass expires. I usually walk behind the photographer anyway. I just wish people would not stop in front of other people.

nicholas

An amusing anecdote related to this:

Here in NYC, at the Madame Tussauds Wax Musuem, there is a wax figure of a woman holding a camera taking a photograph of one of the wax exhibits. You don't see her until right as you come around a corner, so you don't have time to look closely and realize, "Wait, she's wax."

It's funny to watch people come around the corner, start to walk in front of her, and then jump back out of the way and apologize to her before they catch on. Either that, or they just stand there patiently waiting for quite some time allowing her to get her picture.

It's really funny.

Annnnd....back to bickering :D

pat in the hat

bidnow5 said:
I always stop but only long enough to take a photo if they haven't taken the photo in 10 or 15 seconds I walk through. I think taking photo's is a two way street they need to think of the people they are holding up also.

My policy exactly! I try to be conscientious of the fact that not every one is shooting with a digital camera . . . and I know how many times in the past (with film cameras) that I've had pictures ruined by people who saw me setting up a shot and who purposely walked through anyway.

Cheese! :animwink:

shoppingnut

s2jrston said:
And you're right, other peoples memories are more important than me getting to HM before my FastPass expires. I usually walk behind the photographer anyway. I just wish people would not stop in front of other people.

Walking behind the photographer is the considerate thing to do, unlike burningstroller who purposely walks in front of them which is just out and out mean spirited. I know there are some folks who take forever to get the perfect shot, but that isn't the majority. Taking photos on vacation is not an unusual occurrence and who is to say what is most important. What's important to me may not be important to you and vice versa.

We all know that disney doesn't have any hard and fast rule that the minute your FP expires they won't let you on the ride. They are flexible. And as far as people stopping in front of others, that isn't going to change one bit with the amount of people that are in the parks at any given time. I've had people stop dead in front of me just to be staring up at the sky or try to squeeze by me with a stroller and running my foot over in the process.

TimeTrip

s2jrston said:
No. In this thread I'm the photographer waiting for the people to walk in front of the camera so I can take their photo. And... I'm the photographer that can't believe somebody would hold up hundreds of people behind them for my sake.

No fire. I'm the photographer willing to spend a half hour taking your family's picture.

Hundreds of people? A half hour? Using gross exaggerations and dripping sarcasm probably isn't gonna help you get people to agree with you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom