Camera advice

dreamteacher

Original Poster
I am looking into this camera, Sony DSC-H50/B 9.1-Megapixel Digital Camera.
Does anyone know if this camera is a good one? would you recammened this camera to anyone? Thank you.:king: also is it a dslr-like?

frugal_mar

You may want to check out the reviews at

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sony/sonydsch50.asp

I cannot comment on the camera, but I have found the dpreview.com site to be useful.

I would recommend that you try out the camera to see if it comfortable in your hands.

I have also see good information at the following website:
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=academy&article=academy_archives

-Michael
http://www.prounix.org
http://picasaweb.google.com/mar.prounix

Nikon D80 & D50 Cameras with way too many lenses.

In my opinion and my knowledge of cameras (hubby is a photographer) if it is not an SLR it simply is not. I can almost always spot a picture taken with an SLR. You have to ask yourself what you want from the camera. Sometimes the money is better spent on a point n shoot. I only shoot on automatic. I don't understand everything else, so a point and shoot would be fine for me. I do shoot with a SLR, because my DH got a new camera and I got his"old" one.

If you are looking to mess around with settings and get specific shots you might want to look into an SLR.

Hope this helps.

RiversideBunny

Take a look at the new Canon Rebel XSi.
It has a lot of good and recent features.
It should meet your needs for many years.

The new Nikon D60 is also excellent.

Overall, my advice would be to get a Canon or a Nikon and pick the model based on your budget and the features of the camera that suit your needs, including weight and size.

Good luck.
:)

KeithVH

Is this for making fine art or happy snaps? Do you want to constantly experience the park through the lens of your camera or do you just want mementos of special times. Do you plan on prints? Bigger than 5x7? Do you realize how heavy even a small camera can get after 6 hours in the park?

OK. Small rant - Sony bugs me in general. I hate their proprietary chip tech (memory stick vs. everyone else's SD). And they are known for higher failure rates in general. Not to say your choice is a bad one though. but there are a LOT of unit like this one with a variety of features and qwuality for a widely varying price. The Sony sensors actually aren't that bad. Except for the noisy Panasonic chips, most any camera in this price range won't be bad.

You realize you will spend another $50-75 easy on extra memory and batteries? I prefer to stay with cameras that use rechargeable AA's. As always, I would recommend Canon. Equivalence here would be an S5IS but ~$100 less. Same set of features basically except for batteries and storage. Read the review to get some ideas.

Either way, cameras in this class actually weight a lot. Have you considered a good P&S instead?

dreamteacher

Original Poster
Is this for making fine art or happy snaps? Do you want to constantly experience the park through the lens of your camera or do you just want mementos of special times. Do you plan on prints? Bigger than 5x7? Do you realize how heavy even a small camera can get after 6 hours in the park?

OK. Small rant - Sony bugs me in general. I hate their proprietary chip tech (memory stick vs. everyone else's SD). And they are known for higher failure rates in general. Not to say your choice is a bad one though. but there are a LOT of unit like this one with a variety of features and qwuality for a widely varying price. The Sony sensors actually aren't that bad. Except for the noisy Panasonic chips, most any camera in this price range won't be bad.

You realize you will spend another $50-75 easy on extra memory and batteries? I prefer to stay with cameras that use rechargeable AA's. As always, I would recommend Canon. Equivalence here would be an S5IS but ~$100 less. Same set of features basically except for batteries and storage. Read the review to get some ideas.

Either way, cameras in this class actually weight a lot. Have you considered a good P&S instead?
I want this camera for everyday use and for the park, speaciel days. I want to capture great pics. like the fireworks,flowers and nautre in general. I do not plan on very many prints. I do realize extra batteries and memory will cost more.

I shoot with canon. My husband SWEARS by Canon. We have an XTI Rebel (I use this one on automatic as I mentioned) he has a 40 D and a 1D. These cameraa are heavy. Not like a brick heavy, but moreso than a small cybershot. The very cool thing about Canon's SLR's are all lenses are interactive with each other (not the 1D though) So, if you did get into photography and buy a bigger camera the lenses are compatiable.

dreamteacher

Original Poster
I am looking for a camera less than $500 for sure perfurably less than $400. so unfortanitly not an SLR (maybe next camera). I do like the way the SLR grip though so I want a SLR-LIKE.

KeithVH

Then I definitely recommend the S5IS, largely because of the AA batteries (you can get them ANYWHERE), cheap SD cards (Sony sticks are pricey), and the fact that it is generally an good all-around camera (see review link my previous post).

If Canon were to make cars, they'd be Toyota. To me Sony is kinda like Ford or Chevy. Canon isn't the world's leader in camera sales because they make junk.

I would suggest NewEgg.com for the purchase. Very reliable merchant and only $309 there with free 3-day shipping. They also have 2GB Transcend SD card for $12, Can't be beat.

Two things though. With going to Disney, I might suggest a LowePro camera bag if possible. One that has an AW in the model name. These have an all-weather cover that really works. If you have ever been in a Florida thundertsorm with a $300+ camera, this is worth an extra $20-30 protection. Secondly, get it early enough and really practice with it so you're really familiar with copntrols and options before you go. That extra time spent could mean the difference between a missed photo and a great memory.

Lastly, for some inspiration and support, see the http://www.s5users.com/ site. Great place to hang too.

dreamteacher

Original Poster
<TABLE id=compare_tab cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=comp_img><TD class=compare_prod_206004> </TD><TD class=compare_prod_189821> </TD><TD class=compare_prod_184551> </TD><TD style="VISIBILITY: hidden"> </TD><TD style="VISIBILITY: hidden"> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD> </TD><TD class=compare_prod_206004>Sony DSC-H50/B 9.1-Megapixel Digital Camera – Black

</TD><TD class=compare_prod_189821>Olympus SP-560 UZ 8-Megapixel Digital Camera

</TD><TD class=compare_prod_184551>Canon PowerShot S5 IS 8-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black

These are the ones I am looking at,
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

KeithVH

Yup:

Continuous mode

The tables below show the results of our continuous shooting test, indicating the actual frame rate along with maximum number of frames and how long you would have to wait after taking the maximum number of frames before you could take another shot. Media used for these tests was a 1.0GB SanDisk Extreme III SD card. Shutter speed was kept above 1/200 sec during these tests.
Continuous drive mode

The S5 IS has two continuous shooting modes (continuous and continuous-AF), both of which allow you to shoot pretty much indefinitely (we gave up counting after about 70 shots) with a fast card. The difference (as the name suggests) is that the continuous-AF mode refocuses between each shot, which slows the rate down to under one frame per second (or longer if the camera struggles to focus).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom