California Grill

GoofyTink

Original Poster
Is the California Grill worth it? I have a reservation for December 5th at 9:50pm but I keep going back and fourth thinking it might not be worth using two dining credits. What are your thoughts?

Empress Room

It's clearly one of the best dining experiences on property; however, having said that, it's not for everyone. Those of us who like avante-garde, eclectic, adventurous entrees truly love it, but those who prefer more traditional fare that emphasizes more quantity are often disappointed.

You probably won't know until you try it for yourself. For me, California Grill's food is very unique and amazingly good, and its view of the fireworks from the top of the Contemporary is special. I rank it right up there with Victoria & Albert's, Jiko, Artist's Point, Yachtsmen's Steakhouse, Le Cellier and Bistro de Paris.

JimboJones123

If you are going w/somebody, you could always split, and if you are really hungry, order an extra ap for 10 bucks. Or an extra dessert.

gatordoc

It's clearly one of the best dining experiences on property; however, having said that, it's not for everyone. Those of us who like avante-garde, eclectic, adventurous entrees truly love it, but those who prefer more traditional fare that emphasizes more quantity are often disappointed.

You probably won't know until you try it for yourself. For me, California Grill's food is very unique and amazingly good, and its view of the fireworks from the top of the Contemporary is special. I rank it right up there with Victoria & Albert's, Jiko, Artist's Point, Yachtsmen's Steakhouse, Le Cellier and Bistro de Paris.

Interesting. Your second paragraph lists almost all of my favorites. But I can't stand the California Grill. All three times we have been there, both the food and the service were poor. Yes, the view is excellent, but there are definitely less expensive places to watch fireworks...

Empress Room

Interesting. Your second paragraph lists almost all of my favorites. But I can't stand the California Grill. All three times we have been there, both the food and the service were poor. Yes, the view is excellent, but there are definitely less expensive places to watch fireworks...

Sorry to hear that. As to service, we had wonderful service the first time I was there years ago from a CM named Gary. We have asked for him every time since and most of the time have been accommodated - this may explain this aspect.

As to the food, it is weird that we agree on the other restaurants but not on CG. Every restaurant can have a bad night, but I'm surprised that you've had three. Palates can all be different, as we all well know.

Mark VII

Do the math. the dining plan costs approx. $38/day. Lunch at a decent counter service is about $13. That leaves $25 for dinner x 2 = $50. You get an appetizer, entree, drink, dessert, tax and gratuity (the last time we were there the waiter threw in a salad or soup as well - we had excellent service). It is easy to spend $50 per person. The food is great and the atmosphere is awesome - especially during the fireworks.

I agree that there are many cheaper places to enjoy the fireworks, but if you want a truly memorable "Disney" experience this is it.

Tim G

Is the California Grill worth it? I have a reservation for December 5th at 9:50pm but I keep going back and fourth thinking it might not be worth using two dining credits. What are your thoughts?
It's one of my favorite restaurants... If not the best in WDW..

KnK

We love CG. We end up going at least twice during our vacation. We have always had wonderful service.

davinakb

If you are going w/somebody, you could always split, and if you are really hungry, order an extra ap for 10 bucks. Or an extra dessert.
That's a good idea, have only one person redeem the 2 credits. You can add a flatbread, share the entree. I've only eaten there twice, but it was nice both times.
Victoria & Albert's, Jiko, Artist's Point, Yachtsmen's Steakhouse, Le Cellier and Bistro de Paris
Those are some of my faves too, except YS, only because I have not tried it yet!

wolf359

California Grill was easily the nicest dining experience when I was there on my honeymoon. The atmosphere, service, and food were all outstanding, and it all added up to the most memorable meal of the entire trip.

I hope you keep your reservations and have a great time!

:)

slappy magoo

CG is one of those resturants Orlando locals will go to for A Nice Night Out, even if they have no intention of stepping foot in the parks. It consistently gets raves in upscale dining magazines, the sorts of magazines that normally wouldn't deign to review a restaurant involved with a theme park in any way shape or form. It's not going to change the way you look at life, but for a "dining experience" rather than a place to chow down, it's exceptional.

diddy_mouse

DH and I went there during our honeymoon....I had very high hopes for it but left feeling kinda "meh." The food *was* very good (though DH didn't care for his) but it is definitely for those who like a couture meal. Meaning, fancy ingredients presented in a fancy way. The only major complaint I had was the drunk grandma and her annoying grandkids at the table behind us.

I'd like to try CA Grill again to hope for a better experience....but that will take some convincing for DH...:lol:

After reading this thread, I think we have decided on Le Cellier for our anniversary dinner next year (Oct. 8, '07!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom