California Grill on the DDP

WDWFigment

Original Poster
We just booked some ADRs, and want to do one or two signature dining experiences. Right now, we have California Grill as one of our ADRs. The menu looks wonderful, but I'm curious as to what options we get, since the meals there are two course, and they also have options for 'flatbread' and 'sushi' prior to the courses. Do we get one thing from each of these with the dining plan, or what? Any help would be appreciated. Here is the menu for reference:

http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_cg.htm

slappy magoo

Count me in as curious as well. Based on the prices, I figured you could replace the first course with a flatbread, and second course with sushi, but I could be wrong.

Incidentally, while this may sound like a "No, duh!" kind of suggestion, as you make ADRs elsewhere for your stay, look at the prices for all of the places. If you intend to have one table-service meal/buffet every day, figure out which of the ADRs is the least expensive before you pay for one or more out of pocket. For instance, we plan on hanging out one night at Fort Wilderness, doing the campfire and movie thing. We'll probably eat @ Trails' End that night, pay out of pocket, and use that credit for Cali Grill. We have ADRs for Artist Point as well (not sure if we'll keep that one). Which means that one night, I'll probably get a pizza or something I can bring up to the room, we'll have an early night in (yowza) and use that credit for Artist Point.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
^^Right, right. See, the only reason I'm thinking you get more than that (or should, rather) is the prices. If you just get 1st (or flatbread) course and 2nd (or sushi) course, plus dessert, it's about the same price as a lot of non-signature restaurants. I understand you're paying for atmosphere, etc, with the additional credit, but it seems like it might be a waste of two credits that way (like you suggest, it fails to maximize your dining cost/benefit-wise).

shanny

i was wondering about this too! looking at the menu, before we decide to make adrs there or not, i wasnt sure what exactly we would be getting. even if it is just the appetizer/entree/dessert thing, i could pay for a sushi roll out of pocket, no big deal. but if i can replace that for the appetizer, even better! so, if anyone has eaten there on the dining plan, please let us know what you got out of it, and how good the food was!! :wave:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Ate there a couple of weeks ago. Not using DDP, sorry.

Food was excellent! I had the Corn Bisque soup [not on the menu posted above] and the Oak-fired Filet, DS12 had the Sushimi [which he wasn't as crazy about, but he's used to sushi. I tried his Sushimi and it was very good] and Free-Range Chicken Breast [again not on the above menu]. Every bite was delicious.

summerluvin

You can choose from the sushi, flatbreads or any of the other appetizers for your appetize; however, you only get to pick one. Its a lot of food, you wouldnt want more!

WDWFigment

Original Poster
You can choose from the sushi, flatbreads or any of the other appetizers for your appetize; however, you only get to pick one. Its a lot of food, you wouldnt want more!

Do you still get both a first course and a second course after that?

Thanks for the info.

summerluvin

I'm guessing what summerluvin meant was you can choose a flatbread, sushi OR anything from the "First Course" menu as your appetizer.

Yeah thats what I meant - I wasnt sure if they called it the first course menu or not.
You can pick from either sushi, flatbreads or first course menu :)

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Alright thanks for the clarification. I think we may just pay for this one out of pocket and use the dining plan credits for two individual meals at higher-end (but non signature) restaurants. Chefs de France seems priced similarly to California Grill, but only consumes (pun intended) one credit from the DDP.

shanny

maybe i can just convinnnce FH to hop on the rail to there, to grab a quick bite. i just have been craving sushi lately, and would like to wait and get some in wdw! :slurp: :slurp:

Rob562

Of course, if you're *really* hungry, you can always pay out-of-pocket for any additional food items you'd like that aren't part of your appetizer-entree-dessert selections.

So if you wanted flatbread *and* sushi, you can pay for one of them separately from the DDP. (And I'm sure the server would graciously put the more expensive of the two as your appetizer on the DDP)
-Rob

mousermerf

Account Suspended
You get really good size portions at Cali grill though. I did dinner there once and we did the flatbread, some sorta soup, and then dinner itself and we were more then full. We could have easily skipped the soup/first course.

summerluvin

Alright thanks for the clarification. I think we may just pay for this one out of pocket and use the dining plan credits for two individual meals at higher-end (but non signature) restaurants. Chefs de France seems priced similarly to California Grill, but only consumes (pun intended) one credit from the DDP.

last time I was there and used the dinning plan the bill for 2 of us was over $200.00 - plus they added the 18% tip - honestly i think its well worth using the plan for. spend some money on some good drinks.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
last time I was there and used the dinning plan the bill for 2 of us was over $200.00 - plus they added the 18% tip - honestly i think its well worth using the plan for. spend some money on some good drinks.

Over $200? Every combination I priced out left it at around $130 or so before tip. Did you get expensive wines or something (not included in the DDP)?

summerluvin

Over $200? Every combination I priced out left it at around $130 or so before tip. Did you get expensive wines or something (not included in the DDP)?
no, our drinks were on a seperate bill. After tax it added up to just under 200. I had coffee with my dessert, so they add that on the plan and I had sushi for an appy (which was really good) and its kinda pricy. When we ate at Narcoosees our bill was around 200 too. To use the meal plan for one or 2 signature meals is worth it.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
no, our drinks were on a seperate bill. After tax it added up to just under 200. I had coffee with my dessert, so they add that on the plan and I had sushi for an appy (which was really good) and its kinda pricy. When we ate at Narcoosees our bill was around 200 too. To use the meal plan for one or 2 signature meals is worth it.

Is the menu here: http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_cg.htm accurate? The highest per person I can get this is $69 before tax and before a drink. Drinks that would be covered by the dining plan could be no more than $5, right? You've convinced us to go to Cali Grill, so I guess we'll see what our own bill comes to, but I'm just curious. Thanks!

summerluvin

Is the menu here: http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_cg.htm accurate? The highest per person I can get this is $69 before tax and before a drink. Drinks that would be covered by the dining plan could be no more than $5, right? You've convinced us to go to Cali Grill, so I guess we'll see what our own bill comes to, but I'm just curious. Thanks!

Their menu changes seasonally, I was there last summer and the menu was different. Sorry I can't remember the exact prices but I know it was really close to 200 for the 2 of us. I think its worth using those points on - i'm going back there this August on the dining plan again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom