Cabins at Fort Wilderness

TDGMedley

I would love to the sit and stand, but I worry that my 3 year old will get tired and want to sit down.... Hopefully in about 2 years we'll be able to bring the sit and stand and not have to worry about carting around a big double stroller. This is the main reason we love the EPCOT resort area, because we can walk to two out of the four parks.
The sit and stand i have has a seat like the frnt and then they get bigger you can take it off so they can ride sitting or standing.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
My family of 6 used to always stay at the Boardwalk but we found our money goes further at the cabins. My kids are now 6, 9, 13 , and 15. We always get a cart. We love driving around the resort in it. We have also gotten a double stroller. We have my husband and 1 of the older kids in the front with him with the stroller. The other 4 of us in the back. My youngest sits on my lap. There is a pack and play in the closet in the bedroom. We also love that we can park right next to the cabin. It is now our go to resort.

So, do you put all the kids in the bedroom and you and hubby sleep in the living room? Thanks for the info too!

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Have you even asked them? I don't know too many 18 year olds who would willingly share a double sized sleeper sofa with their 15 year old sister...and vice versa. The sleeper sofas in the villas are queen sized.

Like I suggested, look at some of the videos of the cabins. The bedroom is really tight since Disney switched out the double bed for a queen and the closet is tiny, smaller than the one in a Value and a small dresser. The bed is against the wall on one side, meaning one person will have to crawl over the other to get out. While the renovated living room is an improvement and added more storage, Disney blew it in the kitchen by removing the stove and pantry. And if I remember, the hair dryer is in the bedroom, not the bathroom.

The cabins are not as spacious as a 1 bedroom villa, if that is what you are thinking. The cabins are a moderate, not deluxe resort.

We have not asked them. They did NOT like sleeping in the Queen sized bed at Boardwalk, but if they want to go with us they will have to make do. We are not asking them to sleep on the floor, so it's really up to them. If we can only afford the cabin then they're lucky to be even staying there. I know I probably sounds horrible, but they LOVE Disney and will probably not care.... With that said, depending on our decision about where we're going to stay, we will definitely let them know prior to going and see if that is something they are willing to do... Otherwise, they can stay home. It's as simple as that. On another note, thank you, because I was not aware that the cabin was so small. The pictures make it look big. I also did not know that the pull out was a double instead of queen....
If we were to stay there, would assume that my 15 year old daughter would probably sleep on the upper level bunk bed in the room with us and that my son would sleep on the pull out.

MySmallWorldof4

So, do you put all the kids in the bedroom and you and hubby sleep in the living room? Thanks for the info too!

Yes, we take the pull-out and the kids take the bedroom. We have a king size bed at home so going to a queen even though I am small is tough, but it is Disney so who cares.

We haven't as of yet had issues with there being only one bathroom. We do use the sink in the kitchen during toothbrush time.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
My family of 6 used to always stay at the Boardwalk but we found our money goes further at the cabins. My kids are now 6, 9, 13 , and 15. We always get a cart. We love driving around the resort in it. We have also gotten a double stroller. We have my husband and 1 of the older kids in the front with him with the stroller. The other 4 of us in the back. My youngest sits on my lap. There is a pack and play in the closet in the bedroom. We also love that we can park right next to the cabin. It is now our go to resort.

How did you find the pack and play fitting in the bedroom? Tight? I assume I could put it in front of the Queen bed blocking the door to the outside? Also, is the bunkbed a tight fit for a teenager or is it like a twin size bed? Thanks for the info!!!

MySmallWorldof4

The bunk is a normal twin. I didn't need the pack and play myself. I just know it is there. I wonder if it will fit under the window in the bedroom? I guess it could be squeezed by the door. You can also put it between the 2 beds if there is enough space. I really don't remember the dimensions. Sorry.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
The bunk is a normal twin. I didn't need the pack and play myself. I just know it is there. I wonder if it will fit under the window in the bedroom? I guess it could be squeezed by the door. You can also put it between the 2 beds if there is enough space. I really don't remember the dimensions. Sorry.

No biggie. I thought you had experience with it. No worries. Thanks for the info about the bunks though. My 15 year old should fit just fine on it! :)

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
My teens fit fine in the WL bunkbeds and I assumed the cabins would be full size twin beds, not single, but someone here says twin! I remember worrying about naps but when I took my 15 mo old he napped in his stroller for long bouts and I was stunned as he had been such a light sleeper at home. Understand the doublestrollers are a hassle but you gotta do what you gotta do.....it will work out either way!
I liked the ones not side to side....then the baby can be laid down in the back for more protection and I could still recline the front seat a good ways for that napper. Could navigate through crowds better for width too. Have a wonderful trip and enjoy every minute...nap time or not. :D We are deluxe peeps too...DH keeps hinting that in the future we could stay longer with our young adult kids if we stay in the campground.....and if I HAVE to camp can't think of a place I would rather be located....;)

mdubm

Yes, AoA is an option, but with carting around a double stroller, I know my husband will be in hell with all the bus ridding we would have to do.... I was hoping that at least having the boat to MK from the cabins would be helpful in keeping him sane. But I do like that there is 2 bathrooms. Definitely something to think about.
Sometimes the boats from Ft Wilderness will require the stroller to be folded. Just something to consider if that's the selling point for you.

R W B

I've stayed in the cabins 3 times over the years and they are probably my favorite resort.

Your 15yr old will have plenty of space on the top bunk (unless she's like 6'5 lol). Your son will also be fine on the pull out side couch too, to be honest I've slept on the couch without pulling the bed out and I was fine lol. The cabin uses the space it has very well and makes it feel pretty big. The only thing that might be an issue is having only 1 bathroom. I'm going in February and we will have 5 adults there, that will be fun with the one bathroom lol.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I've stayed in the cabins 3 times over the years and they are probably my favorite resort.

Your 15yr old will have plenty of space on the top bunk (unless she's like 6'5 lol). Your son will also be fine on the pull out side couch too, to be honest I've slept on the couch without pulling the bed out and I was fine lol. The cabin uses the space it has very well and makes it feel pretty big. The only thing that might be an issue is having only 1 bathroom. I'm going in February and we will have 5 adults there, that will be fun with the one bathroom lol.

Thanks for this. My daughter is tall but she's not over 5'7. She should definitely be fine. My son on the other hand is like 6'3 so he definitely wouldn't fit on it! Ha. The baby will be 9 months old by then and hopefully sleeping through the night - I'd hate to wake up any of the other kids, but I can't worry about that. Lol The one bathroom issue will probably only be an issue in the am when we're all getting ready. The kids usually shower at night, hubby in the am and I will shower during nap time or in the evening when the younger kids are asleep... I can find pros and cons of staying at any hotel. I personally like that we will all be together and have a kitchen and two separate areas to hang out in. :)

R W B

Thanks for this. My daughter is tall but she's not over 5'7. She should definitely be fine. My son on the other hand is like 6'3 so he definitely wouldn't fit on it! Ha. The baby will be 9 months old by then and hopefully sleeping through the night - I'd hate to wake up any of the other kids, but I can't worry about that. Lol The one bathroom issue will probably only be an issue in the am when we're all getting ready. The kids usually shower at night, hubby in the am and I will shower during nap time or in the evening when the younger kids are asleep... I can find pros and cons of staying at any hotel. I personally like that we will all be together and have a kitchen and two separate areas to hang out in. :)
I forgot to mention the golf cart rentals. It may be hard to fit everyone and a stroller on a Disney golf cart, it's just regular size cart. However they do have off site rentals that you can rent from that are about half the price as Disney. Disney is $55 per day I believe and I know off site is $30 a day but off site also has the 'stretch' carts that have the 3rd row seating and I think those are $45-$50 per day. A family friend of mine usually rents 2 regular size carts from off site and that way his 2 older kids can come and go as they please.
The only catch about renting from an off site company is Disney does not allow them to come on Fort Wilderness property anymore. What you have to do is meet the company delivery driver at a gas station or somewhere and if you have a truck they will let you take the the trailer with the cart to your cabin to drop the cart off then come back with the trailer. I've also been told of you don't have a way to tow the trailer they let you take the company truck and trailer to do the same thing. It's a bit more of a hassle but it saves money if you want 2 carts or a stretched 3 row cart.

MySmallWorldof4

I forgot to mention the golf cart rentals. It may be hard to fit everyone and a stroller on a Disney golf cart, it's just regular size cart. However they do have off site rentals that you can rent from that are about half the price as Disney. Disney is $55 per day I believe and I know off site is $30 a day but off site also has the 'stretch' carts that have the 3rd row seating and I think those are $45-$50 per day. A family friend of mine usually rents 2 regular size carts from off site and that way his 2 older kids can come and go as they please.
The only catch about renting from an off site company is Disney does not allow them to come on Fort Wilderness property anymore. What you have to do is meet the company delivery driver at a gas station or somewhere and if you have a truck they will let you take the the trailer with the cart to your cabin to drop the cart off then come back with the trailer. I've also been told of you don't have a way to tow the trailer they let you take the company truck and trailer to do the same thing. It's a bit more of a hassle but it saves money if you want 2 carts or a stretched 3 row cart.
Golf cart is $60 a day. We could fit the 6 of us in a cart with the stroller. We folded the stroller. One kid sat in the front with the stroller. 4 of us managed to squueze in the back. I held my youngest on my lap. We are not the biggest people so it worked for us. They do rent 6 seaters at Disney but you cannot reserve those like the regular ones. They are first come first served. Make sure you get a golf cart reservation. They can sell out.

Worldlover71

Thanks for these pics. We stayed there many years ago (mid '80's) and they are completely different. They actually feel like cabins now instead of mobile homes. Back then, there was a sink in the bedroom where the closet and TV are now. It was very helpful when everyone was getting ready in the morning but the kitchen sink works too so I can see why they removed it.

It sounds like the OP has a good plan for using the one bathroom which is the main drawback to the cabins. Have a great time!

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Thanks for these pics. We stayed there many years ago (mid '80's) and they are completely different. They actually feel like cabins now instead of mobile homes. Back then, there was a sink in the bedroom where the closet and TV are now. It was very helpful when everyone was getting ready in the morning but the kitchen sink works too so I can see why they removed it.

It sounds like the OP has a good plan for using the one bathroom which is the main drawback to the cabins. Have a great time!

:)

R W B

Golf cart is $60 a day. We could fit the 6 of us in a cart with the stroller. We folded the stroller. One kid sat in the front with the stroller. 4 of us managed to squueze in the back. I held my youngest on my lap. We are not the biggest people so it worked for us. They do rent 6 seaters at Disney but you cannot reserve those like the regular ones. They are first come first served. Make sure you get a golf cart reservation. They can sell out.
I can see if everyone is on the smaller side and you have younger kids that 6 people could fit. However I personally called this past January to see if we could reserve a 3 row 6 seater and they told us they don't rent those. Just the 2 row standards size carts. You sure the cart you saw was rented from Disney and not a third party?

allgiggles

We often travel as a family of 6 and while we haven't ever actually stayed at the cabins, I have researched them many times to consider staying there but two rooms or the suites at AoA just work better for us (we need 2 bathrooms, and if there's a bedroom in the room, my husband and I are sleeping in it -- not the kids -- so the cabins just won't work for us.). Everything I've read says the bunk bed mattresses are not a standard twin size. They measure 66" x 39" and sleep a little shorter than that because of the railings at the head and foot of the bed. If you're interested, this site has a very thorough review of the cabins: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2014/09/17/review-the-cabins-at-disneys-fort-wilderness-resort-3/

MySmallWorldof4

I can see if everyone is on the smaller side and you have younger kids that 6 people could fit. However I personally called this past January to see if we could reserve a 3 row 6 seater and they told us they don't rent those. Just the 2 row standards size carts. You sure the cart you saw was rented from Disney and not a third party?
Maybe they changed their policy? I know you can rent from a third party. It is just a hassle since they can no longer meet you in FW anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom