News bye bye bugs: Marvel Land announced, opens 2020

flynnibus

Premium Member
A bit off topic, But what's everyones opinion on Marvel Island at Islands Of Adventure Universal Studios Orlando? I always found that area to be an extremely charming area but have never heard of people ever talking about the land, only Spiderman The Ride.
Because the land aspect is completely forgettable. The comic panel design they went for is not that well received and people have no passion for it

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've never understood the focus on the DCA name - theme parks aren't defined by their name, they're defined by their theme. And DCA no longer has one.

There isn't a name that will bring cohesion to that park, and there really isn't any reason to change it.

Ehhh... because the name should go along with the parks theme and mission? Instead of being misleading and wasteful?

TROR

Spider-Man's a trash ride and Disney wouldn't even have to try hard to make a better attraction. They'll probably end up making something equal to it and everyone will say it's great tho.

VJ

The files appear to be updated. Now both DLP and HKDL have the Marvel brick, DL has no visible redaction square, and the file name says final instead of "no brick". Black Panther appears to be fully integrated, although like certain figures in all three posters he is out of scale. And I love the soda can! LOL
The posters on this page still have the redaction square. The Marvel blog versions are the unedited ones.

October82

Ehhh... because the name should go along with the parks theme and mission? Instead of being misleading and wasteful?

DCA no longer has a theme or mission. The discussion around "changing the name" assumes that (somehow) the name, and not the substance, of a park is what creates the theme.

flynnibus

Premium Member
DCA no longer has a theme or mission. The discussion around "changing the name" assumes that (somehow) the name, and not the substance, of a park is what creates the theme.

No - changing the name also infers revisiting the overall projection for the park obviously. The name discussion includes the park... not just random 'what sounds cool' obviously.

And even changing the name alone is about resolving the CONFLICT that exists now.

You're trying to split hairs while ignoring the actual scope people would include.

britain

Well there's a giant can in the land for a reason so there's definitely an Ant-Man presence. Don't give up hope just yet!

Maybe - I just took it to be rooftop advertising in the big city. Like this one near me:

1521651135748.png

Professortango1

Thank god... Moving a churro cart is one thing. Moving a crusty old omni-mover system and putting a new coat of paint on it as an anchor attraction in a new Marvel area would have been downright depressing.

It could mean they are having 3 similar rides themed to different Marvel IPs at all 3 parks. I mean, if the queue and show elements are Avengers HQ, then its easy to join whatever superhero and fight off bad guys in their own way. Swap out some different screen based scenes and effects, and you have 3 "different" attractions with minimal work.

dweezil78

It could mean they are having 3 similar rides themed to different Marvel IPs at all 3 parks. I mean, if the queue and show elements are Avengers HQ, then its easy to join whatever superhero and fight off bad guys in their own way. Swap out some different screen based scenes and effects, and you have 3 "different" attractions with minimal work.

Very true... Would not be bothered by that -- I'm all for finding efficiencies if it ultimately allows more bang for the buck. As long as we're not getting another version of Star Tours (i.e. HK's Iron Man).

October82

No - changing the name also infers revisiting the overall projection for the park obviously. The name discussion includes the park... not just random 'what sounds cool' obviously.

And even changing the name alone is about resolving the CONFLICT that exists now.

You're trying to split hairs while ignoring the actual scope people would include.

There's no hair splitting here.

Disney isn't going to re-scope the park. They're making substantial investments in turning it into a miscellaneous repository for brand. Those additions will sit next to the last elements of DCA 2001/2012. The notion of "revisiting the overall projection for the park" is wishful thinking, not a serious assessment of what Disney is interested in doing. Perhaps you mean to advocate for more than simply a rebrand of the park, but if so, that certainly isn't an obvious part of the conversations that people are actually having.

The conversation around changing the park's name only comes up in the context of the Marvel/Pixar takeover of the park, when people are looking to find that "theme" that will make it all make sense. There simply isn't a "name" that will fix the intrinsic inconsistencies in the park.

SSG

October82

I don't think so. I believe it only applies to parks east of the Mississippi.
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm

Disney can only use certain Marvel characters and properties east of the Mississippi. They can not use the Marvel brand in advertising nationally.

iii.East or West of The Mississippi - permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name “Marvel” as part of the attraction name or marketing.

iv.East or West of The Mississippi - The foregoing permitted uses will be subject to the following marketing restrictions:

(a)
If the particular character is used by MCA (as defined above), such character will not be advertised or promoted East of The Mississippi, except by means of national Network buys

NormC

Check section IV:

"East or West of The Mississippi - permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name “Marvel” as part of the attraction name or marketing."

Correct: MARVEL may not permit a licensee to use the name. Marvel being Disney. Disney may not let a licensee use the name other than Universal in Orlando. Disney is not a licensee. Universal is a licensee.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom