Buzz Clone at Six Flags?

MagicalMonorail

Original Poster
I live in Louisiana and over the summer I went to Six Flags New Orleans. It was fun but it comes nowhere near Disney. Except for one thing. They had a Mardi Gras( basically a holiday/party thing) themed ride. You got in a cart and went on a track that was very much like Snow White's. In the cart they had guns attached to the cart. They shot lasers just liked Buzz's ride. You then went on a dark ride through New Orleans. With the guns, you shot at different targets through the city. Under the guns they had the score board that kept score. This seemed to be a very Disney influenced ride. Has anyone else seen this and do they know who got the idea first? I don't know when this ride was opened so I'm not sure if Disney or Six Flags had it first. My bet is Disney. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

FigmentJedi

Disney was the one that came up with the Laser Shooting ride and it has been copied at Camp Snoopy in Ghost Blasters, which also has a buttload of Haunted Mansion refrences(Organ playing Ghost,changing paintings, ghosts at a dining room table,etc)

Pioneer Hall

They copy these things for a reason. They know people will relate it to Disney and in that case think it is the same and as good. They know they can't beat it, so they try to match it. In my Six Flags this season they played Disney music in front of a certain attraction.

bcampione

I think they somewhat copy because they know these are big crowd draw rides for people of all ages- theres something for everyone on it. It's not too fast, its sometimes funny, and the kids like the shooting part.

DigitalDisney

A - It's not a clone of Buzz. If it's a clone of Buzz, then RNRC is a clone of any other roller coaster out there. The ride concepts are the same, but they are significantly different.

Also, Six Flags doesn't make those rides. A company called Sally designs and builds most (if not all) of the shooter rides that Six Flags and other parks have. Some are themed to Scooby Doo. Others are themed to an Egyptian crypt.

B - I don't think Disney was the first for this type of ride either. I am pretty sure there have been multiple installations of this type of rides before Disney or Sally or Universal got their hands on it. I can't back it up at the moment (I'll do research later)

DisneyFreak721

As far as who OPENED first, i'm quite sure the order was Disney BUZZ, then universal (MIB ATTACK) and then the others.

Im not sure in terms of development, but i do remember hearing that they came up with the laser technology in the late 80s early 90s and were gonna make a D!ck Tracy ride with it for the Disney MGM Studios and the spinning technology was to be used in a Baby Herman Buggy Ride also at the Disney MGM Studios...that ride later became Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin....

WDWspider

Originally posted by DigitalDisney

B - I don't think Disney was the first for this type of ride either. I am pretty sure there have been multiple installations of this type of rides before Disney or Sally or Universal got their hands on it. I can't back it up at the moment (I'll do research later)

NO, Disney WAS NOT the first! I am shocked to see how many people think Disney was first. Their are many many versions of this type of ride around. Myrtle Beach has two. Granted one of them is newer, but the one at Family Kingdom was there way before Disney.

I would say, Disney was the first to have one with so many targets and the capability to spin your car, but that's it.

hardcard

The ride in question at Six flags New Orleans is "Jocco's Mardi Gras Madness" which is a ride designed by Sally Amusement Rides.

Yes, the ride is a laser shooting dark ride, however, the cars and theming/depth are no where near as elaborate, and the cars do not spin.

Buzz is a far superior ride, however, I can visit SFNO any day I want, only a few times a year for WDW.. So, thats where the appeal is for me..

It's important to note that Jocco's is by far one of the best (if not THE best) rides at SFNO. They have coasters, and flat rides, but Jocco's shows the most imaginative creation.

HardCard
-----------------------
Webmaster
http://www.sixflagsneworleans.com

raven

Originally posted by WDWspider
NO, Disney WAS NOT the first! I am shocked to see how many people think Disney was first. Their are many many versions of this type of ride around. Myrtle Beach has two. Granted one of them is newer, but the one at Family Kingdom was there way before Disney.

True. Disney wan't the first one. I remember riding one somewhere years ago. Disney just theamed it better. Here are a couple of links to some manufactures of these types of rides:

http://www.sallycorp.com/

http://www.etf.nl/ride/ride.htm

JBSLJames

PKI opened a Scooby Doo version last year that is similar to the ride of the same name at Paramounts Canada park. The PKI ride took the place of a "Haunted Theater" ride that borrowed heavily from WDW Haunted Mansion. In response...when did the Buzz ride open? I believe that the Canada Scooby Doo opened in 2000.

Punkss

We had a ride here in the UK (Chessington World of Adventures) which used the shooting theme. Not as involved but i do know that it told you whether you hit or not and it was only in small set sections. But when it first came out (late eighties, i was 9 ish) i found it great.

First it was themed in a space ride and scared me out of my wits with "Jumpy Up Bits From The Side Of The Track" bits! Its was then completley re themed as a pyramid adventure.

-------------

On a side note is the plenty of "Jumpy Up Bits From The Side Of The Track" bits at Disney? Man they scare me and they are sure fun!

---------------

kosherkid411

Originally posted by JBSLJames
PKI opened a Scooby Doo version last year that is similar to the ride of the same name at Paramounts Canada park. The PKI ride took the place of a "Haunted Theater" ride that borrowed heavily from WDW Haunted Mansion. In response...when did the Buzz ride open? I believe that the Canada Scooby Doo opened in 2000.

Paramount's Carowinds (North Carolina/South Carolina Border near Charlotte) has got a Scooby Doo shooting ride too. I think it's called Scooby Doo's Haunted Mansion. It was built in like 99 0r 2000.

JBSLJames

That is what the one in Cincinnati (PKI) is called. It is a really good ride that my kids and I enjoy. We are looking forward to riding Buzz. Is this a Fast Pass ride?

kosherkid411

Originally posted by JBSLJames
That is what the one in Cincinnati (PKI) is called. It is a really good ride that my kids and I enjoy. We are looking forward to riding Buzz. Is this a Fast Pass ride?

Buzz is a Fastpass ride.

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by Disneyfan81
They shot lasers just liked Buzz's ride. You then went on a dark ride through New Orleans. With the guns, you shot at different targets through the city. Under the guns they had the score board that kept score.

Hmmm...great theming there...

So, you drive around Mardi Gras and shoot stuff?

(My question in the theming is this...Why are we shooting stuff at Mardi Gras? Because if I were in Mardi Gras...the only thing I'd be shooting would be alcohol)

The_CEO

Originally posted by Tahu
Disney was the one that came up with the Laser Shooting ride and it has been copied at Camp Snoopy in Ghost Blasters, which also has a buttload of Haunted Mansion refrences(Organ playing Ghost,changing paintings, ghosts at a dining room table,etc)

Do I need to link you to the company who developed that whole system?

Disney did not invent this concept. Only modified it into BUZZ.

Edit infact -

Intamin AG is the creator.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom