Buyer beware

mickey2008.1

May have already been posted, but just learned today that if you use gift cards from disney , and do not use and cancel trip, you will not get your money back unless you have the gift card. Basically, keep your gift cards to get your refund, or else you lose. I'm calling BS on this. Opinions?

kylewr86

Im confused on what your trying to say.Its a gift card why would Disney automatically refund your gift card because you cancelled the trip without you asking for a refund?

Upvote 0

wilkeliza

A lot of places work this way. If you read the fine print it says you get the refund on the exact form of payment. So credit cards go back on the same credit card, cash is cash, check depends on the company. With the option of using gift cards being offered more and more most places require it to go back on the original gift card. It isn't anything new but can be a head ache.

You might be able to get your money back on a new Disney gift card if you tell them that you threw the old ones away but it may not work every time.

Upvote 0

macsmom

I went through this last year. I told them that I didn't have the original cards and they were nice enough to put everything I had paid with a gift card onto a new card. Very nice of them! It was over $100 so I was very, very happy!

danna

Upvote 0

Mousecra Z

Not sure if I understand what you are trying to say. Why would you dispose of a gift card that hasn't been used. Hard for anyone to refund a purchase that without something to verify the purchase. Any merchant will generally need/require the code in the strip or something to cancel out the card so it can't be used before a refund will be issued.

Upvote 0

wilkeliza

Not sure if I understand what you are trying to say. Why would you dispose of a gift card that hasn't been used. Hard for anyone to refund a purchase that without something to verify the purchase. Any merchant will generally need/require the code in the strip or something to cancel out the card so it can't be used before a refund will be issued.

I'm not the OP but to clarify the situation it is not a card that he threw away that had money on it still and he wanted a refund. The card in discussion here is a card that was used in full to pay a Disney trip and then thrown away because there was nothing left on it. The OP was unable to go on the trip and was able to get a refund but unfortunately he did not have the original card anymore and was told that because of that they could not issue a refund for any payment that was given on the gift card.

Upvote 0

BrittanyRose428

Why wouldn't you keep the gift card just in case anyways though? I mean, with something that expensive why take the risk with anything like that, I'd hold onto it anyways. I canceled a trip and the balance went right back to the gift card, it was extremely easy to cancel it, just sad cause its a canceled trip lol..

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

Original Poster
I'm not the OP but to clarify the situation it is not a card that he threw away that had money on it still and he wanted a refund. The card in discussion here is a card that was used in full to pay a Disney trip and then thrown away because there was nothing left on it. The OP was unable to go on the trip and was able to get a refund but unfortunately he did not have the original card anymore and was told that because of that they could not issue a refund for any payment that was given on the gift card.

Exactly. Paid for a trip with gift cards, but was told that if we cancel, you must must have original gift cards. Now we did not cancel nor have experienced this, but were told in order to get refund, you must have original gift cards. Disney getting tight?

Upvote 0

Magical Dreamer

I'm OK with this as I want my saved Disney $$ to remain Disney $$.

I'll never find myself cancelling a Disney trip.....if changes needed to be made it would merely be a rescheduling issue.

Upvote 0

Main Street USA

This is one of the big reasons companies offer gift cards to begin with. Once the money is spent on the gift card, the money is theirs. They aren't going to give you cash or any other form of currency in return, that's the whole point of the gift card program for them and every other company that exists.

So, no, I don't think Disney is doing anything wrong. Just standard gift card policy, unfortunately.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom