Buses Going Away or Pay?

D23 2022: "Ladies and gentlemen, we at Disney are very excited to announce that we're bringing the magic to the WDW Transportation System by bringing in Genie+ and Lightning Lane features that will revolutionize our guests' experience and further harmonize and synergize the entirety of the Disney World Resort guest experience by bringing the services they've come to know and love in the parks to the bus stations!" - Robot Chapek, likely.
“Just swipe your magic band upon loading and your room will be automatically charged a one time day fee! Easy!”

castlecake2.0

I’m curious: is Disney still using the Academy coach buses like they were in the summer?
The Academy busses are for college program participants. Disney has been supplementing their guest busses as well with third parties to try to keep up with demand. There’s a job fair this week and one of the roles is for bus drivers.

Disorbust

A transportation ticket no, but charging for park to park transportation for non-resort guests or "Priority Boarding" maybe...

I'm sure some families would love to pay a lightning lane for buses in the morning (to beat rope drop crowds) or post-fireworks.
They were doing this pre Covid between parks where you dropped off back stage to avoid going thru the check point twice if I remember correctly

Last edited:

wutisgood

The undoing of disney vs universal is going to be the monster of the costs that assumed cheap land walt bought initially would be worth it to cover vs compact resorts. Add in the fact that disney imagineering doesn't know how to build a destination ride for 500 million while universal does it for 100-150 million and you got a disaster. Sea world prices are lately even through the roof and wouldn't doubt massive expansion is possible. Free money from disney.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Imagine believing that they would do away with one of the biggest sources of transportation on the property and then assume the monorail would be next.

peter11435

During our trip in October, full size motor coaches were being used in lieu of regular Disney buses. In a five days of going to the parks, we only rode on the Disney buses once or twice.
They weren’t used in lieu of regular Disney buses. They have been used in addition to Disney buses due to staffing shortages and the need for more buses to buses operating at reduced capacity to Covid requirements.

Touchdown

In my pie in the sky monorail expansion where each park + Disney Springs had a monorail loop that connected nearby resorts and each park served as a hub (and had an alternate express line that only went to the hubs to connect all the loops) DS station would have had Magic Band readers at the enterance and exit points. That way a non resort guest could hop on from DS by paying a fee (that conveniently would be the same price as theme park parking, except this price would be on a per person basis) resort guests would get free access and non resort guests hopping to DS could swipe their bands on exit for a one time free return back onto the monorail.

Last edited:

Andrew25

The undoing of disney vs universal is going to be the monster of the costs that assumed cheap land walt bought initially would be worth it to cover vs compact resorts. Add in the fact that disney imagineering doesn't know how to build a destination ride for 500 million while universal does it for 100-150 million and you got a disaster. Sea world prices are lately even through the roof and wouldn't doubt massive expansion is possible. Free money from disney.

Ironically, when Walt laid out the plans for WDW, the parks/resort area was compact.

GimpYancIent

In my pie in the sky monorail expansion where each park + Disney Springs had a monorail loop that connected nearby resorts and each park served as a hub (and had an alternate express line that only went to the hubs to connect all the loops) DS station would have had Magic Band readers at the enterance and exit points. That way no one non resort guest could hop on from DS without paying a fee (that conveniently would be the same price as theme park parking, except this price would be on a per person basis) resort guests would get free access and non resort guests hopping to DS could swipe their bands on exit for a one time free return back onto the monorail.
Another monorail loop (the cost excuse is bogus) and a couple more Sky Liner lifts (i.e. to AK and MK) would equal fewer buses and a smaller carbon footprint. Yes!

GimpYancIent

I’m curious why you think the cost excuse for monorail is bogus?
Cost of labor, materials, equipment etc. have risen since the original system was built, but also improvement and lessons learned on efficient / safe operation have evolved. The guests / fans like it and use it. Expanded access to different venues (include the water parks in the new loop). Less traffic on the roads and a regular more efficient movement for guests to different points. In short costs vs benefits, simply put, the benefits far outweigh the costs. Less penny wise and pound-foolish thinking.

Lilofan

The Academy busses are for college program participants. Disney has been supplementing their guest busses as well with third parties to try to keep up with demand. There’s a job fair this week and one of the roles is for bus drivers.
I've seen those CP buses on the road while enjoying WDW. There are ancient looking buses, some , the smokestack exhaust blows out black smoke, and some buses looks like they need a desperate need of a bus wash.

peter11435

Cost of labor, materials, equipment etc. have risen since the original system was built, but also improvement and lessons learned on efficient / safe operation have evolved. The guests / fans like it and use it. Expanded access to different venues (include the water parks in the new loop). Less traffic on the roads and a regular more efficient movement for guests to different points. In short costs vs benefits, simply put, the benefits far outweigh the costs. Less penny wise and pound-foolish thinking.
Not exactly. I think you are woefully underestimating the cost of monorail expansion. If the benefits outweighed the costs they would have expanded them. The dirty little secret is that they don’t. The buses, like them or not, are far more efficient at moving guests than the monorails.

GimpYancIent

Not exactly. I think you are woefully underestimating the cost of monorail expansion. If the benefits outweighed the costs they would have expanded them. The dirty little secret is that they don’t. The buses, like them or not, are far more efficient at moving guests than the monorails.
I see. Our views and analysis diverge.

World_Showcase_Lover007

They weren’t used in lieu of regular Disney buses. They have been used in addition to Disney buses due to staffing shortages and the need for more buses to buses operating at reduced capacity to Covid requirements.
No matter how you shape it, the normal amount of Disney buses weren’t running. They were then using motor coaches to fill that gap. That’s called in lieu of.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom