Busch Gardens VA / Been? Haven't? Post Here :)

Bairstow

Years ago, was not impressed, but, for what it was it was fine. Colonial Williamsburg, in my mind is the biggest rip-off that ever existed. Just my opinion, others mileage will vary. I'm sure, or at least hope, that things have improved with both by now.

Saw it last summer and wouldn't call it a rip off but I wasn't blown away, either. It seemed like all the good stuff involving reenactors had to be booked up as special tours months in advance, and I was surprised how many of the historical recreation buildings turned out to be glorified gift shops. The blacksmith's shop and the governor's mansion were neat but the rest of the neighborhood was less impressive. They have a pretty good art museum there, though.

Goofyernmost

Saw it last summer and wouldn't call it a rip off but I wasn't blown away, either. It seemed like all the good stuff involving reenactors had to be booked up as special tours months in advance, and I was surprised how many of the historical recreation buildings turned out to be glorified gift shops. The blacksmith's shop and the governor's mansion were neat but the rest of the neighborhood was less impressive. They have a pretty good art museum there, though.
The tour part of the visit was composed of nothing but recreated buildings. Not in the original spot, not the original buildings just a fake town like the one in Blazing Saddles. I was obviously very unimpressed especially after I realized that I had paid an admission charge when I could have just walked in for free from the real downtown Williamsburg and saw the same thing I paid money to see. That might have changed, I don't know, and have no intention to find out.

KCheatle

I've been a handful of times. My brother lives in Charlottesville, and when we go out to see them we usually take the road trip to BG. We always have a fun time when we're there. Verbolten is no joke. The first time I rode on it, I had no idea about the drop, and I about tossed my cookies. Now we love it! There are other coasters my kids really like, too. All around, it's no WDW, but nothing is. It still a good time, though. And, I do love the Oktoberfest show at the German cafeteria. The food there is pretty great too!

I have been and it does not compare to WDW, but some of the shows are pretty good and I did enjoy some of the coasters. I have to say it was an enjoyable day with my boyfriend, but I wouldn't consider going back.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Maybe the price hikes at Disney will cause people to take another look at Busch Gardens Williamsburg VA.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I went there about 28 years ago. I have no memory of it at all. I wasn't impressed at the time, but I don't remember why. I'm sure the place is quite different now.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I went there about 28 years ago. I have no memory of it at all. I wasn't impressed at the time, but I don't remember why. I'm sure the place is quite different now.
OK.
Feel free to watch the Youtube vidoes I posted.
Maybe someone with a more current experience will post here. :)

J4546

I grew up in VA and went to bg all the time as a kid, and still do when I go back as an adult, its such a beautiful park imo, the woods setting is awesome. Its mostly focused on being a coaster park it seems nowadays but has a lot of whimsy and charm in its theming. Grade A park imo

Last edited:

celluloid

Years ago, was not impressed, but, for what it was it was fine. Colonial Williamsburg, in my mind is the biggest rip-off that ever existed. Just my opinion, others mileage will vary. I'm sure, or at least hope, that things have improved with both by now.

I don't think Colonial Willaimsburg even costs enough for me to consider it a ripoff. I have been three times since the early 2000s. You probably have to really love history to love it like my dad and our trips did though. It is likely to be a lot less fun with young kids or people not wanting to walk and explore.

BGW in its prime was one of the best theme parks ever. It has wavered a bit but is still fun with per usual for Sea World Parks, (formerly Anaheuser Busch) some of the best coasters collections. And its hilly nature and woodsy landscape is bar none.

celluloid

I must hastily add that I just researched their price for parking.
It's a whopping $25! :eek:

They likely are still running their parking trams. If you are going for more than one day. See about getting a pass that is economical for your family. If it includes Free parking and discounts on food/free tickets in your passholder account than it can more than quickly pay for itself. They have great perks.

I live in Southern Maryland so this is not that far away from me and my parents and I have taken also a few educational trips for me to Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia and spent a day or two at Busch Gardens. It was fun. Haven't been for a several years though.

DISR

We went in Oct. BG still feels like a pick-up game to me. Some things were open on Friday, but inexplicably closed on Sat. Very few food options. Drink outlets were slammed with extremely long lines. The quick queue was kind of a joke. At Verboten, there was no staff member to validate, and certain guests had figured it out....quick queue was jammed and screwed up the line for those that were waiting as well as actual quick queue purchasers. That said, the rides are still good and the Halloween event was really enjoyable.

Bairstow

The Busch parks have lost a lot of my good will in the last few months by refusing to open their new roller coasters. Pantheon, Icebreaker, and Iron Gwazi have been ready for months.

DISR

I can't speak to BG Tampa, but Williamsburg is a seasonal park. Every year is a re-start on staffing. I suspect they had enough challenges getting the basic functions up and running vs trying to add the new attractions. Even in pre-Covid years, you felt like everyone was really learning their jobs early in the season.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I can't speak to BG Tampa, but Williamsburg is a seasonal park. Every year is a re-start on staffing. I suspect they had enough challenges getting the basic functions up and running vs trying to add the new attractions. Even in pre-Covid years, you felt like everyone was really learning their jobs early in the season.
I personally have only been to BG in Virginia. I was bringing it to people's attention in case BG Virginia's Europe theme attracted or appealed to posters on this forum who like EPCOT. Of course EPCOT is better but maybe people might want to give BG Williamsburg a try next Spring or Summer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom