Busch Gardens VA / Been? Haven't? Post Here :)

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Busch Gardens in Williamsburg VA is fun. It occurred to me that there might be some WDWMagic posters who have never gone, but might actually enjoy it. Hypothetically maybe a handful of people just never considered going to Busch Gardens VA.
Well just in case you are open to the possibility, I'll share the website and then mention a thing or two. I am FAR from an expert. Just posting this for fun. That's it. ;)
So here is the website for Busch Gardens Williamsburg Virginia (The website's opening photo shows a rollercoaster but it's so much more than that.....it's not like Six Flags really.) This park has so many European neighborhoods. Anyway....here is the website....
https://buschgardens.com/williamsburg/
On this thread I would also enjoy reading posts from PEOPLE WHO HAVE already gone.
If you like Epcot, you may like Busch Gardens Williamsburg VA...................please note that the Busch Gardens in Tampa FL is totally different!!!
In Busch Gardens VA they have "Neighborhoods" and I have "lifted" a list of neighborhoods directly from their website:
England, France, Germany, Festa Italia, Ireland, Italy, New France, Oktoberfest, and Scotland.
According to my interpretation of the website, if you show up without a ticket and buy at the booth the adult price is $90.
If you buy from the website in advance you save $20 and thus the adult price is $70
They have shows in certain countries and naturally there are a variety of dining choices.
Yes it's not Epcot....but it's enjoyable. The show in "Ireland" is in a nice theater. Good show....good venue.
So....who has been there and is willing to share?
or
Who has not been there but has questions or you just want to share your thoughts on the subject?

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Busch Gardens is also open during each Christmas season.
Here are a couple of videos from the past.......

PhilMonte

Welcome to WDWMagic Phil. I assume in your member photo you were on a cruise??
Hey Steve thank you! Also a fellow New Jersey native here! And yes this was taken while out on a cruise, not a Disney Cruise unfortunately hah, but it was shot as we sailed through the Strait of Gibraltar separating Europe and Africa. Hoping my next cruise will be a Disney one!

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Hey Steve thank you! Also a fellow New Jersey native here! And yes this was taken while out on a cruise, not a Disney Cruise unfortunately hah, but it was shot as we sailed through the Strait of Gibraltar separating Europe and Africa. Hoping my next cruise will be a Disney one!
On the Chit Chit forum.....the thread called "Chit Chat" we talk about cruises now and then. It does not have to be a Disney Cruise. You can post about Royal Caribbean or NCL or whatever. They won't boot you off here :cool:.....it's ok;)

PhilMonte

On the Chit Chit forum.....the thread called "Chit Chat" we talk about cruises now and then. It does not have to be a Disney Cruise. You can post about Royal Caribbean or NCL or whatever. They won't boot you off here :cool:.....it's ok;)
I’m sure I’ll be there a lot soon once I start planning the next cruise! But now I think Busch Gardens is the next trip I’d like to do!

Bairstow

I had been to their Tampa park many times, but I finally got to visit BGW this summer. I was really impressed with the place. On the same trip we did King's Island and Carowinds, and while the Cedar Fair parks both sported more impressive roller coasters than Busch Gardens, neither could hold a candle to Busch's themeing, food, live entertainment, or overall beauty. We we're lucky enough to be there during their food and wine festival and thanks to their very reasonably priced ticket packages I honestly enjoyed it a lot more than any of the times I've done the various Epcot festivals.

We were a little disappointed that Busch had recently closed the Darkastle ride, as I had heard it compared to Spiderman and really wanted to see some proper ride themeing. Outside of Pompeii and Verbolten, none of Busch's rides really seemed to be up to snuff with the rest of the park in terms of their theming and decor, though I did appreciate some of the little touches on InvadR and Alpengeist.

Has anyone heard any good Intel about the upcoming Project Madrid expansion? Word is their going to get their own Giga Coaster in the 300+ foot class to compete with the likes of Intimidator 305 and Fury.

DISR

I just got back from a Spring Break trip to BG Williamsburg. Since we live in the DC area, it is a relatively short trip, and we have had season passes numerous times over the years. Here are the observations from last week's trip:

It isn't Disney, but overall the theming is well done and flows nicely from area to area. It is set among the trees and hills of coastal Virginia, so it definitely has a different feel than most Disney parks. The landscaping is the star here. Over the years, they have eliminated most animal exhibits. It is now limited to horses/cows/sheep, wolves, and a few birds/eagles. There used to be more. The roller coasters are excellent...fun to ride and very smooth.

BGW has always had some staffing pains early in the season. This park closes in the winter so each Spring is essentially a 100% restaffing of the park. I would guess a lot of their pool of potential employees is not available until schools are out for the summer. This year things were really bad. It was very crowded, and food service locations and rides were still operating at a fraction of their capacity. There were lines to the door of the Festhaus for food with only 2 lanes open for service (I believe there are 6-8 total lanes available if all are open). Other locations were in a similar situation 1/4 cash registers open. We ended up skipping meals due to waits. Roller coasters were in a similar situation...potential for additional cars/lanes, but limited due to staffing (I assume). We had a funny/frustrating incident ordering a drink at a counter service location...the person smiled and nodded at me every time I asked her a question, but nothing was happening. Finally another staffer came over and told me the person speaks no English. Why it was a good idea to place this individual in a customer service role, I have no idea. Also saw a distracted employee on a kiddie ride completely miss the fact that a child had removed their seatbelt and was standing up on the ride....kind of scary inattention. Of course the Mom was also on her phone and not watching.

Bottom line: We will go back to BG and we do recommend it. I don't know that I would drive across the country for it, but if you are in the general area, it is probably worth a stop. They don't do things anywhere near as well as Disney, but there are positives. Avoid crowded/holiday weekends early in the season if you can.

Last edited:

Lucky

BGW has always had some staffing pains early in the season. This park closes in the winter so each Spring is essentially a 100% restaffing of the park. I would guess a lot of their pool of potential employees is not available until schools are out for the summer. This year things were really bad. It was very crowded, and food service locations and rides were still operating at a fraction of their capacity. There were lines to the door of the Festhouse for food with only 2 lanes open for service (I believe there are 6-8 total lanes available if all are open). Other locations were in a similar situation 1/4 cash registers open. We ended up skipping meals due to waits.
This has been my general experience at BG in Williamsburg and Tampa. I want to spend $ on food, but they don’t seem to want my $.

DISR

This has been my general experience at BG in Williamsburg and Tampa. I want to spend $ on food, but they don’t seem to want my $.
They definitely lack Disney's overall focus on the guest experience. They try some concepts like quick queue or wrist bands linked to your credit card, but then they don't execute well. It all comes across as disjointed.

I should also mention: Finnegan's Flyer was in testing while we were there, but not yet open. That will bring a much needed additional attraction to that part of the park. As of last year, Battle for the Eire replaced the old Soarin-type attraction. I much preferred the former attraction. If you have been to any of Disney's or Universal's screen rides, you will probably be extremely underwhelmed. I still can't figure out why Curse of DarkKastle was closed with no replacement or explanation.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Disney is too greedy? Some people say that, huh!? Try Busch Gardens. Just try. There is Colonial Williamsburg just down the way. It might be fun if you just try.

prberk

Disney is too greedy? Some people say that, huh!? Try Busch Gardens. Just try. There is Colonial Williamsburg just down the way. It might be fun if you just try.

Yep, and there are combo passes. Colonial Williamsburg is a must-do for students, I think, also. See craftsmen making the real thing: shoes, horseshoes, cotton weaving, etc.; but also see what real colonial architecture looks and FEELS slide. No vinyl siding here.

Yorktown (where the revolution was won) and Jamestown (first successful English settlement) are also within 20 minutes. Beaches and fishing and camping also nearby.

A great trip to do.

Goofyernmost

Years ago, was not impressed, but, for what it was it was fine. Colonial Williamsburg, in my mind is the biggest rip-off that ever existed. Just my opinion, others mileage will vary. I'm sure, or at least hope, that things have improved with both by now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom