Busch Gardens new Coaster in 2005

StevenT

New article about BG re-inventing itself here:
http://money.tbo.com/money/MGBEGW1E4VD.html

Most interesting is this paragraph:
"Brown at Busch Gardens said the park has a master improvement plan in the works and that an element of that plan will be revealed in a few months. He declined to discuss specifics, but says park officials expect it to be a major draw."

Rumor has it this announcement will be made in a month and a half. It will include new trams, a tram tunnel (perhaps to bypass the intersection there?) a paved and refurbished parking lot, all the lands will be refurbished and have a different color theme (Like Timbuktu is blue and orange). Stanleyville will see a major refurbishment to all attractions except the skyride and theater due to the new coster arriving in 2005. In addition to all this, several things that have yet to be disclosed (of course none of this has been officially announced by Busch Gardens).

Overall I'd say the future is looking bright for Busch Gardens, I hope they can compete with Animal Kingdom in the future, it's going to be hard once Expedition Everest opens. Hopefull BG's new coaster will be really good.

Figment1986

Originally posted by StevenT
Rumor has it this announcement will be made in a month and a half. It will include new trams, a tram tunnel (perhaps to bypass the intersection there?) a paved and refurbished parking lot, all the lands will be refurbished and have a different color theme (Like Timbuktu is blue and orange). Stanleyville will see a major refurbishment to all attractions except the skyride and theater due to the new coster arriving in 2005. In addition to all this, several things that have yet to be disclosed (of course none of this has been officially announced by Busch Gardens).

Overall I'd say the future is looking bright for Busch Gardens, I hope they can compete with Animal Kingdom in the future, it's going to be hard once Expedition Everest opens. Hopefull BG's new coaster will be really good.

Great rumors, I couldn't have said it myself.......

Oh and that would be closer to a month now.....

FTN will have an update on BGT sometime this week.......

AndyP

Originally posted by Walter
It would definately be interesting to see a dive machine here, I always wanted to try one. Oblivion always looked great to me, but the downside is that they're so shrot, and do nothing but one drop. If what they mean by "other elements" is a longer coaster, I'm all for it. Maybe if they put some helixes and inversions after the long drop, they'll have a chance of getting people on the ride more than once. After all, people need a reason to go to BG.

I think its supposed to have a splash down area but i don't think they can work inversions into this style. As the cart for the coaster is short and wide, it means it is very heavy, and all localised in one area, so I'm not sure if it is practical, but I'm no expert, so I hope they can add elements like this!

scorp111

I have been on Oblivion about 20 times. Yes, it is a one trick pony, but that trick is pretty incredible.

:D

One of the most intense drop sensations I have ever experienced, which includes skydiving......

StevenT

Originally posted by Figment1986
Great rumors, I couldn't have said it myself.......

Oh and that would be closer to a month now.....

FTN will have an update on BGT sometime this week.......

No you couldn't have said it :lol:
Just trying to keep everyone on WDWMagic that doesn't visit BGTguide informed.

Took me a while to make the connection, I don't look at usernames.

StevenT

Originally posted by AndyP
I think its supposed to have a splash down area but i don't think they can work inversions into this style. As the cart for the coaster is short and wide, it means it is very heavy, and all localised in one area, so I'm not sure if it is practical, but I'm no expert, so I hope they can add elements like this!

I don't know about the weight being an issue against inversions, but the shape of the car is. Because they will probably be 8 people wide, the people on the end will be very far from the track which would make the gravitational forces quite high on those people and it might be rather uncomfortable. I'd look for some heavily banked corners, nothing inverted unless it were a vertical loop.

JBSLJames

They should be a wooden coaster that's taller than the Beast, Longer than the Beast, Faster than the Beast and Have a Loop.

Wait, that's already been built. Son of Beast, Only at PKI.

:)

speck76

Original Poster
Originally posted by JBSLJames
They should be a wooden coaster that's taller than the Beast, Longer than the Beast, Faster than the Beast and Have a Loop.

Wait, that's already been built. Son of Beast, Only at PKI.

:)

PKI, the only park in the world that both sucks and blows.

JBSLJames

Originally posted by speck76
PKI, the only park in the world that both sucks and blows.

Now wait a second, my fine feathered friend, PKI, where it is definitely not up to the cleanliness level it was in the 70's and 80's is still an above average thrill park. With THE BEST WOODEN COASTER in the World - THE BEAST, residing in PKI and his angry son taking up residence, the park is well represented.

Voted best kids area in both 2002 and 2003. A good park and the Waterpark has been doubled in size.

The only thing that sucks and blows at PKI are the cotton candy vendors and that, my friend, is a whole different story.

speck76

Original Poster
As a former Cedar Point employee, I prefer the coast of Lake Erie to the outskirts of Cinci.

I like PKI, but since it became a Paramount park, they have really focused more on family rides to thrill rides. The thrill rides that they have, except for The Beast, are average at best. In the 80's, KI was cutting edge, building projects like The Bat...the park was ahead of the curve. SOB was a waste of wood, and is a great example of more not being better.

Coronado

I ahve been to BG within the last week and can let you know that big things are happening.... the BBQ place is gone, walls are up, and heavy construction equipment is going like crazy... The orangs have been moved, the white tigers are also gone... mote is drained.... corporate area across from orang habitat is walled off....Looks like the drop will span across the walkway going to Stanleyville..... Oh yes... trains are all taking the short loop and the station is closed.... Traveling talent on contract has been great... they had an Irish step dance group for about three months... now a great dance group called Burn the Floor are at the Desert Grill....they are Auzies... the group that plays Xylaphones and drums is outdoors by Scorpion.. they will be gone in Aug... two members are going to AK in WDW.... great displays too.... they had Miss Budwiser hydroplane.... and one of Juniors #8 cars too. They have opened a new gate calle Nirobi.... gets them in faster and will probably be used when the renovate the front..... Akbars Adventure is down permanently.. too many people on the simulator blowing lunch... don't know what will be there.... Summer nights has started and they have a cirque type group in the Stanleyville theatre... that's about everything I know....

StevenT

It looks like Busch Gardens is pulling their act together and preparing to once again make themselves a contender in the theme park industry (better than Disney I might add). This is good news to hear being a loyal visitor of BGT. As for the Smokehouse BBQ place, they are going to re-construct it in another part of Stanleyville.

Figment1986

Are U sure Jammin's contact is up in augest... What will replace it then, cause i loved the old version, and love the new version, (but not as much as the old version)

DarkMeasures

A dive machine is a rollercoaster where guests sit about 8 across with 2 rows. This designed like this because when the car reaches the top of the lift hill and starts to drop, a brake holds it for several seconds so that guests are looking strait down. The car then releases and guests fall a great distance vertically before returning to the station.

Coronado

Figment1986 said:
Are U sure Jammin's contact is up in augest... What will replace it then, cause i loved the old version, and love the new version, (but not as much as the old version)
Jep... I talked to Brandon (who is going to AK) and Dave.. who is still looking... They know that they will not be renewed and are prety mad about being put outside by Scorpion... They will have some kind of show for the Desert Grill.... The geezers (not me even though i am starting to get gray around the sides) didn't like the Jammin show.... Some realllly great shows for the 4th.... July 3.... BTO and July 4 is Three Dog Night.... The Elvis guy is really good too.... he is working Summer Nights....

Figment1986

That stinks, I wish they had a better venue for this show, It actually is good when they have the right music... (Why did they go to Scorpion is beyond me, thats stupid....) Maby i should make my voice known to busch that i like that kind og entertaignment, Mostly cause, I am a percussionist and this shows that their are things to do after school... (that and what other show like this is at BGT??)

JBSLJames

speck76 said:
SOB was a waste of wood, and is a great example of more not being better.

I agree that more is not better in this case. The BEAST is the best coaster I have ever ridden, hands (errrr) up :p

SOB is one heckuva ride though. The speeds for a wooden coaster and the loop are pretty awesome. They have smoothed out some of the rough spots as well.

speck76

Original Poster
JBSLJames said:
I agree that more is not better in this case. The BEAST is the best coaster I have ever ridden, hands (errrr) up :p

SOB is one heckuva ride though. The speeds for a wooden coaster and the loop are pretty awesome. They have smoothed out some of the rough spots as well.

It would have been neat if they were able to use the new Intamin engineered wooden track format, which gives a much smoother ride. (Instead of seven boards being used for the track, a ton of small boards are fasten together in the shop, and then the track is cut to specifications)

Wood coasters in general tend to reach a max height of around 150' before they start to have problems. Most of the wooden giants built in the early 90's (Mean Streak, Texas Giant, The Rattler) have been braked and altered in a way that the height has turned meaningless (any ride that has trim brakes on the first drop has problems). It would be nice to see some of these rides retrofitted with the new technology, so they can be fast and exciting again.

Some of the best wooden coasters are not much over 100' tall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom