Bus Transportation Slow Downs

RiversideBunny

If WDW starts taking its guests for granted, due to recent increases in attendance levels, there will surely come a time, soon, when all the
Disney fans of the Earth rise up and bash the corporate scoundrels where it hurts.

:mad:

Sherrybaby

This past week we waited almost an hour and a half for a bus from Downtown Disney to the Beach Club. We wanted to return to DD another evening but decided against it. (Some driver came and said to us, "Before everyone here "kills" me I wanted to tell you that this wait is due to some buses that got in accidents".) Ugh.

This "cutback" is also affecting the boats. In past years, when waiting on the dock at the BC/YC no one would wait in line everyone would just mull around--but that can't be done anymore. Do yourself a favor and wait right by the loading area. They were only letting 20 people on per resort one day since they were going to every resort due to lack of boats (????) and wanted to be "fair" to everyone.

And this is another reason we did not return to MGM. People will start altering their plans due to this transportation problem.

At least we could walk to Epcot.

Sherry

recklesslylost3

Very true about the slow buses!!! I was just at Disney World last week- 6/2-6/7, I stayed at Port Orleans- French Quarter. The worst was last Thursday we waited for a bus at Animal Kingdom for 25 minutes, others in front of us said they had been waiting for as long as 45 minutes, then we went to pick up Blizzard Beach people and they were livid, they had been waiting for up to an hour. Then, when the bus finally came 4 came in at AK all in a row. At Blizzard Beach we filled the bus to capacity and told the others they had to wait (it was almost another full load that had to wait).

I was surprised this time at how long for the buses, but you truely know it's bad when your coming out of Epcot and you are the ONLY resort with poles they added for extra que space. I remember last year I was coming out of Epcot, about 30 minutes after Illuminations and we wait for quite a while for a bus, then had to wait for 3 more because there were so many of us, we really were like the last resort to be picked up, every other one was pretty much deserted.

I've just bid on and paid for a rental car that I'll pick up at the Orlando airport when we land this September. For 8 days, the car total came to just under $200. We like to eat at different resorts and getting from one resort to another sounds impossible with these extended waits.

david10225

After reading these notes, I guess I will now pick up a rental car for my September visit. I had planned on magical express, but since our visit is short (3 nights), I would rather pay for the car and not worry about such long waits. I would probably still take a bus to the MK because of the long trek to parking there..

jt04

If WDW starts taking its guests for granted, due to recent increases in attendance levels, there will surely come a time, soon, when all the
Disney fans of the Earth rise up and bash the corporate scoundrels where it hurts.

:mad:

Thanks for sharing your happiness thoughts :rolleyes:

Dingle66

Bus Routes

I love the "World" and think in general it is likely the best-run operation of it's size. I do agree that the Bus routes need to be evaluated. My wife and I stayed at the Dolphin the first week of May, which is not that busy, but we continuously had extra long waits for buses and not enough buses for the number of folks waiting. I don't understand why they have single buses serving as many as 4 resorts (Dolphin, Swan, Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach Club). Granted the route has multiple buses, but they still did not come close to efficiently moving the number of people waiting at the stops for these resorts. Buses were getting over-crowded with impatient folks and spending the end of a long day squished among grumpy strangers who are late for dinner reservations is no fun.

marypoppins68

I guess I was lucky then. I just got back from Pop, June 7-11 and never had more than a 10 wait for any bus. Even at closing time they buses seemed to come pretty close together.

paul436

I've just bid on and paid for a rental car that I'll pick up at the Orlando airport when we land this September. For 8 days, the car total came to just under $200. We like to eat at different resorts and getting from one resort to another sounds impossible with these extended waits.
Getting from one resort to another is always time consuming even when there isn't a "slowdown".

wdwmomof3

We have found that sometimes, especially in the afternoons and at night, it is much easier to drive your own car. Once, we waited over an hour for a bus to take us back to our resort from DHS. Every resort area was packed with people waiting to get back. We decided then to try to drive and it was a breeze. I still LOVE to ride the Disney bus in the mornings, but at night, we drive.

uklad79

I wonder why with the upgrading of the fleet they didn't go for bendy buses. They can almost double seating capacity, you still only need the same number of drivers, and the cost is not as much as buying 2 buses. This would have helped clear the parks quicker at the end of the night with less buses. If the fleet is say 250 buses then 100 of these as bendy models would allow enough of them for clearing the parks. Bus bays would have to be extended to accommodate the larger buses and this should be achievable in most places the buses go.

With higher gas prices more people will turn to using the Disney Transport and these buses would allow them the capacity to support this at less cost than increasing the size of the fleet.

millercv

Haven't read the whole thread but we are half-way through our trip and have not noticed a decline in bus speed at all - longest wait so far has been about 15 minutes - Staying at Old Key West.

Sherrybaby

I guess I was lucky then. I just got back from Pop, June 7-11 and never had more than a 10 wait for any bus. Even at closing time they buses seemed to come pretty close together.

I believe that. When we waited 1 1/2 hours at DTD for a bus about 10 buses came for the value resorts--and some left empty!!! I'm saving over $1,000 next year and staying at the Pop. (If we go since we are considering Costa Rica as an alternative at this point). At least I know there I can get a bus in 10-15 mins at the most. It was the deluxe resorts that were always waiting the longest and always had the most people in line. Go figure.

Timmay

I wonder why with the upgrading of the fleet they didn't go for bendy buses. They can almost double seating capacity, you still only need the same number of drivers, and the cost is not as much as buying 2 buses. This would have helped clear the parks quicker at the end of the night with less buses. If the fleet is say 250 buses then 100 of these as bendy models would allow enough of them for clearing the parks. Bus bays would have to be extended to accommodate the larger buses and this should be achievable in most places the buses go.

With higher gas prices more people will turn to using the Disney Transport and these buses would allow them the capacity to support this at less cost than increasing the size of the fleet.

I think the problem with that is the bus pull-up spaces are not meant for those size vehicles. Just a guess, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom