bus transport

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Original Poster
I have just returned from a very enjoyable two weeks in the world but noticed something that just didnt sit quite right.when taking the bus from the resort to the parks they were running a new system similar to the monorail of a pre-recorded speil explaining to guests where they were headed etc.this didnt seem quite right and it loses some of the apeall that the bus driver comentaries had. i know not all drivers were great at this but is just seems a little impersonal now.does any one else feel this way

CAPTAIN HOOK

Its for when the driver can't remember where he's going :lol:

I guess its called progress - in years to come we'll look back on its introduction and wonder why Disney didn't do it sooner

DisJosh

I agree to an extent, some bus drivers are entertaining and DO know what they're talking about. These days the majority do not seem to have a clue though. I only say that from experience.

I think this change is for the better and I for one am pretty excited to see/hear it next time I'm in WDW.

wainy

Buses

We have just returned from a weeks stay in the All star Sports. Disney have a real problem with keeping hold of bus drivers. There are many non American drivers now driving buses and there is still a shortage of drivers.

It was so bad that on our trip that they are outsourcing to outside bus companies. We had several buses picking us up that were not official Disney buses. We had to ask the driver if they were going back to the resort because the buses were chartered!

At the end of the day, bus driver pay rates are poor, and with more and more hotels on site reaching capacity levels, Disney have real problems covering all the routes.

The obvious question being:
With the average bus doing 8 miles to the gallon, shortage of drivers, not forgetting the impact on the envoronment, Disney need to look at other methods of transport around the parks and hotels. If not the monarail, maybe a train system by rail. Walt would have loved that'''.....Food for thought.

nibblesandbits

This is a new change over that Disney is doing. The new automated spiels will now be standard among all the busses in the Disney fleet. There are many threads floating around here with more information about this change over. Basically though the change over is going to be a wonderful addition to the bus fleet. But it is indeed something that will not be going anywhere soon.

Camille59

I have just returned from a very enjoyable two weeks in the world but noticed something that just didnt sit quite right.when taking the bus from the resort to the parks they were running a new system similar to the monorail of a pre-recorded speil explaining to guests where they were headed etc.this didnt seem quite right and it loses some of the apeall that the bus driver comentaries had. i know not all drivers were great at this but is just seems a little impersonal now.does any one else feel this way

I drive those buses. I train those bus drivers. I, too, have found the new system to be both detrimental and beneficial. Yes, we are beginning to lose the guest interaction because of this, and I am not so sure I want to do that completely. The system does give me the choice to interact with the guests or not. I must confess that there are some days when I simply don't want to spiel the same information over and over and over again. It gets boring and my throat gets sore. When I do wish to interject some other information then I can do so. I have personally found that due to the system, I am receiving fewer questions from the guest except for the necessary bus stop to get home. Plese keep in mind that this system is fairly new. It has many months to go before it is fully functional. It is, though, just a machine. It is prone to operator error. I hope that you will find this new system beneficial over time.

Camille59

Get used to it :)

Well, that's a pretty depressing way to look at it:( I feel that we may lose some guest interaction and that's not the greatest thing. The goal of the whole system upgrade is not simply based on the spiel. When the system is up and fully operational we hope that we will be able to reduce wait times for our guests at both their resorts and at the theme parks and water parks. Why should one resort have better or worse service than another one.

Beauty_Belle

I have a funny story (ok, I find it amusing). We stayed at OKW about a month ago. Our bus driver got lost while inside the resort (I later heard the GPS's were down the next day)! It was hysterical and I saw parts of the resort I've never seen before. The look on everyone's face was priceless. He kept looking at his notes then at the street sign, then back at the notes. Our stop was the last one, it is also the main stop at OKW....Well, the bus driver flew by it! He then had to turn around (where busses should not go, you should have seen the car that was pulling out. He quickly pulled further front to make room of the illegal u-turn). The driver does the u-turn and then flies past our bus stop again. My dad had to tell the guy to just let us off here and we'll walk. My family and I (along with 2 other guests) were dying of laughter.
:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:
It took over an hour to loop around the whole resort.
The kicker was, after he left us off, he had to turn right to go back towards the MK. Well, he instead turned left and started his journey all over again.

darthjohnny

I think the auto-spiels are better.

That way, the bus drivers aren't constantly talking, telling bad jokes, or giving you false information.

Back then, it got really annoying when you were tired, and the bus drivers just kept speaking and speaking. (It's still a problem on the boats to Downtown Disney :lol:).

PigletIsMyCat

I think the auto-spiels are better.

That way, the bus drivers aren't constantly talking, telling bad jokes, or giving you false information.

Back then, it got really annoying when you were tired, and the bus drivers just kept speaking and speaking. (It's still a problem on the boats to Downtown Disney :lol:).

Hey, hey, hey!!! One of my closest friends is a boat operator on the DTD runs, and I'll have you know he NEVER engages in guest banter!! :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom