Bus kiosks thingies!

Thank you ThumperThought,
The Kiosks that someone saw backstage are for cast members only to clock in and out and go on break. They had to come up with a new system instead of CDS that would give the driver the bus they are waiting for plus tell them were to meet the bus and when it would be in. The driver can also extend there time at these Kiosks and schudule when they want there breaks. There will be nothing that that guests have to do at the resort. All the guests have to do is show up at the bus stop and wait for the bus.

everyone will see in october just let this rest.:mad:

This rumor won't die.

There are no guest kiosks being installed for bus transportation. There are cast kiosks being installed for bus driver dispatching -- but these will all be backstage.

Disney Transport will continue to be available to all.

jmvd20

The Kiosks that someone saw backstage are for cast members only to clock in and out and go on break. They had to come up with a new system instead of CDS that would give the driver the bus they are waiting for plus tell them were to meet the bus and when it would be in. The driver can also extend there time at these Kiosks and schudule when they want there breaks. There will be nothing that that guests have to do at the resort. All the guests have to do is show up at the bus stop and wait for the bus.

:ROFLOL:

If this is true it just goes to show you how rumors are born and evolve. Someone sees something they know nothing about, everyone starts guessing what they are for and then argues about it. I'm not being critical - just find this amusing right now.

Vernonpush

Who would have thought that it was for those great drivers who brave the roads for us! :sohappy:

ToTBellHop

if we won't let the "the wand is coming down this week!" rumor die after 7 years, what makes you think this rumor will die? Until we get an official announcement from Universal that they have patented new kiosks for their transportation system (it's just boats there, right?), the rumor will not die. That's what it took for Harry Potter (and, no surprise, we immediately switched to rumors of a Lord of the Rings land...hahahahaha).

CBOMB

I for one refuse to give up on this rumor so quickly. I reserve the right to continue to post an appear stupid at anytime in the future.:D

JML42691

While on my trip last week, I noticed something on the busses and remembered this thread. Is this the mystery object thing? If it is, then this is the new controls that the drivers use for the automatic messages on the busses that were recently installed.
IMG_2005.jpg

cooleo

Everyone is cracking me up here while they aregue back and forth.

In the last 7 years, of which I have worked for in transportation for a few of those, transportation has been a part of Resorts not Parks. While its one big property, budgeting each is separate. Transportation is provided by funding that comes from room sales.

The bus drivers have never enforced the resort guest only rule because it has been easier than arguing with people looking for a freebie. You have to make a trade-off between the convenience of a few for the sake of many. At Downtown Disney, we have turned people away who were not resort guests with managements blessing.

Also, park hopping does not entitle you to use of the busses. The official policy in fact is your parking pass is good at any park on that day and you should drive from one park to the other when you hop.

With the increased price of fuel, Disney now has every incentive in the world to limit its bus service to just those who are paying customers. Its fleet rivals some citys in size. In fact it was the 4 or 5th largest fleet in Florida if I remember correctly.

The kiosks that are mentioned have been in the planning stages for a while and work exactly the way some people have surmised. You scan your card, select your destination and enter the size of your party. Based on numbers and time interval, the computer system then determines the proper number of buses to send and when. The upper display then tells you approximately how long until your bus arrives.

Another part of this system that was tossed around was scanning cards on the actual busses upon entrance. There were a myriad of cool marketing reasons to do this but it also served to limit busses to resort guests.

One kiosk per stop, so even the resorts with multiple stops will only require minimal kiosks. Not everyone can think outside the box. This is really a simple idea that doesn't even begin to challenge Disney Management. I think it is an excellent idea. :cool:

CBOMB

After about 6 straight e-mails sent out to WDW guest communications about a week apart I finally got a reply from Disney legal. They apologized for any problems I had on my recent visit, and explained they could not accept ideas from an outside source. They would not be keeping copies of my communications with them. I was really confused. I did not state I had any problems only that I had heard they were up grading their transportation system. I ask them if a box like Merf described was part of the plan, and if so I thought it would be a good idea. I explained that we were discussing this matter on a Disney discussion forum. At no time did I suggest it. I sent them another e-mail directly to Disney legal, and stated as much. All I was interested in was if Disney was thinking about a system like this. I have yet to hear back from WDW, but I am a very persistant person.

MrBug

After about 6 straight e-mails sent out to WDW guest communications about a week apart I finally got a reply from Disney legal. They apologized for any problems I had on my recent visit, and explained they could not accept ideas from an outside source. They would not be keeping copies of my communications with them. I was really confused. I did not state I had any problems only that I had heard they were up grading their transportation system. I ask them if a box like Merf described was part of the plan, and if so I thought it would be a good idea. I explained that we were discussing this matter on a Disney discussion forum. At no time did I suggest it. I sent them another e-mail directly to Disney legal, and stated as much. All I was interested in was if Disney was thinking about a system like this. I have yet to hear back from WDW, but I am a very persistant person.

Hopefully in your communications to Disney you did not:
1. Mention Merf
2. Use "BOMB" in your name
:ROFLOL:
j/k

Continuing my paranoia theme from other posts :lookaroun , how secure does anyone think keycards are? There have been lots of issues with ATM thieves installing bogus card readers and harvesting card info - couldn't the same be done with resort keycards, especially as many of the readers would be at relatively remote, unattended locations? The keycard's also a charge card, there's some serious money in them....

Had I appropriately read a bit more of the thread before flapping my yap, I wouldn't have said anything at all...

Legal wont say anything no matter what you ask. Plus these boxes are already in place at the MK. The guests will not have any thing to do but be in the load zone. There are Cam's in the load zones the are blended in so they are hard to find in some parks and resorts. This is how we will know how many guests are waiting.

CBOMB

Legal wont say anything no matter what you ask. Plus these boxes are already in place at the MK. The guests will not have any thing to do but be in the load zone. There are Cam's in the load zones the are blended in so they are hard to find in some parks and resorts. This is how we will know how many guests are waiting.
Thanks for the information, that's very interesting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom