Bus kiosks thingies!

CBOMB

I don't care what WDW says... I know that the transportation system is for all guests, not just people staying at the hotels :lookaroun

:D
Back when I was in the Marine Corps I had a good friend named Denny Offred, who was from Toledo Ohio. He could be ornery sometimes too.:D
The official statement to be told to guests and reality are sometimes completely different things. Especially in email, which is likely to dissuade the Guest Relations CM from saying in a different tone: "but really..."
That's true, reality is guest will try to do what they want. I am not telling anyone what they should do or what is right, and what is wrong. An e-mail reply from WDW I hope would state their official position on the matter. That is what I intend to post. I really am just curious now about the official position. I just recieved my 4th reply from WDW, this time subtitled transportation. They stated that they would be getting back with me shortly. I mentioned there were several thousand people on a Disney forum waiting for an answer. So I imagined they are making sure the response is correct.

WISH4EE@WDW

What they really need is RFID, where the system just senses your presence from your room card as you walk through. Of course, you'd probably need some strong zappers to do that, since most RFID access is based on a prox system, where you ahve to hold your chip right up to the sensor to register it.

This is my first post I have been on the forums forever. I'm basically a troll that just reads and reads. This is the first thing I've seen that I could directly contribute too. So I got an account.

At any rate I happen to be a 3rd year electrical engineer student. One of my projects that I've been working on is essentially an RFID chip that can broadcast without high power consumption; so that instead of maybe 3ft area of recognition your talking 15 or 20ft. Especially, if it's something small like a simple id number that would be stored on the card. It utilizes pre-existing technology, not research level stuff; so it could be used today. It would be unique and identify a guest. Then there would be no swiping.

In the end, I was writing to say that RFID is certainly an alternative which I think Disney already employs. I'm pretty sure that they have it in My Pal Mickey. So the infrastructure probably already exists in WDW.

niteobsrvr

This is my first post I have been on the forums forever. I'm basically a troll that just reads and reads. This is the first thing I've seen that I could directly contribute too. So I got an account.

At any rate I happen to be a 3rd year electrical engineer student. One of my projects that I've been working on is essentially an RFID chip that can broadcast without high power consumption; so that instead of maybe 3ft area of recognition your talking 15 or 20ft. Especially, if it's something small like a simple id number that would be stored on the card. It utilizes pre-existing technology, not research level stuff; so it could be used today. It would be unique and identify a guest. Then there would be no swiping.

In the end, I was writing to say that RFID is certainly an alternative which I think Disney already employs. I'm pretty sure that they have it in My Pal Mickey. So the infrastructure probably already exists in WDW.

My Pal Mickey is probably the greatest test marketing tool DIsney has ever employed. I have no proof but have often suspected that each doll has a unique identifier that allows it to be tracked in the parks in addition to assisting in providing jokes and other information. The syste doesn't know who owns the doll but it does no where they go in the park and how much time they spend in a particular area, attraction, and so on.

THink about how that information could help Disney tailor their park experiences. It would no longer be based entirely on surveys and guests ideas of what they do but on easily quantifiable data.

The next step, and one that has been alluded to be a part of the Desitnation Disney information technology system, would be to incorporate these identifiers into soething each guest possessed like ticket edia and room cards.

Wouldn't it be neat for little Suzy, if as she is about to board Dumbo, a cast member out of the blue wishes her happy birthday?

It was this kind of thing that was originally talked about as part of the bus information system as well.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Seriosuly.. Pal Mickey is a plush doll with a memory stick, speaker, and infared reciever in its nose. There's nothing else to him.

kurros

Yes, just to back up merf here Pal Mickey's responses are triggered using infrared pulses. Whether there are some other communications gadgets in his guts I can't say as i've never dissected one. But as far as knowing where you are with regards to his vocal responses it's a one way system.

Scooter

I don't care what WDW says... I know that the transportation system is for all guests, not just people staying at the hotels :lookaroun

:D

This is a quote from the 2007Birmbaum's (the official travel guide of WDW) WDW book.

TRANSPORTATION REQUIREMENTS
Guests who wish to use Disney Transportation may be asked for proof of riding privileges. Accepted ID's afford differant degrees of access. WDW resort ID cards, Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper options or Water Parks & More options, and Annual Passes let guests use all Disney Buses, monorails, and boats. Valid one-Day theme park tickets permit guests to use the monorails and the ferries running between the Ticket and Transportation Center and the Magic Kingdom, but DO NOT allow use of buses.

WISH4EE@WDW

Seriosuly.. Pal Mickey is a plush doll with a memory stick, speaker, and infared reciever in its nose. There's nothing else to him.

If My Pal Mickey is indeed Infrared only. Which I have looked into and everything I've read has at least indicated that this is the very base line technology. It seems to actually be hard-drive with a speaker. It seems to only get a signal to play one of like a thousand (I don't know the exact number of phrases) there already in memory and then it just plays back which it was told to. Really simple and no-where as neat as I'd hoped. It looks like that if this incarnation does not have RFID, it's coming because they have the patent for it already. You can read the My Pal Mickey patent right here.

There is a really neat interview/case study about the underlying technology given by Bruce Vaughn, the new Chief Creative Executive, then head of R&D.

Personally, I think it's only a matter of time until these RFID chips are in your tickets and everything else. It's a great way to know what the average consumer is consuming. And even if the technology is not strictly at WDW (that we know of) it is maturing quickly as SunPass/EzPass and other technologies. RFID will make it's way onto the property. It's only a matter of time in my opinion.

niteobsrvr

Here it is. The official DIsney Answer. Things have changed since I last worked there.

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World Resort.

Getting around the Walt Disney World Resort is easier than ever. Relax,
we've thought of everything!

This transportation is available to all guests with park admission
tickets.

Zip around by monorail, sail leisurely by boat or hop aboard a bus.
We'll get you to where ever the magic is calling. Complimentary
transportation throughout the Walt Disney World Resort is provided to
all Disney resort guests and Walt Disney World theme park ticket
holders. Included are the air conditioned motorcoaches, monorail
service between Epcot and the Magic Kingdom Parks, motor launches, ferry
boats, and limited water taxi service.

By Bus:

Most areas of the Walt Disney World Resort are accessible by bus from
other areas within the Resort, including Theme Parks, Water Parks, the
Disney Resorts and DOWNTOWN DISNEY area. Buses travel on routes
throughout the Resort but do not always provide direct service between
all destinations. (Magic Kingdom Park is not accessible by bus from
Disney's Contemporary Resort, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa and
Disney's Polynesian Resort. These Resorts provide monorail
transportation to the park.)

By Boat:

The Disney ferry boats connect the Magic Kingdom Park to the
Transportation and Ticket Center (adjacent to Magic Kingdom parking).
The Magic Kingdom Park is also accessible by water taxi from Disney's
Contemporary Resort, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, Disney's
Polynesian Resort, Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground, and
Disney's Wilderness Lodge. Epcot and the Disney-MGM Studios are
accessible by Friendship Launches from Disney's BoardWalk Inn and Villas
Resort, Disney's Yacht Club & Disney's Beach Club Resorts, and the Walt
Disney World Swan and Walt Disney World Dolphin Resorts. The water taxi
on the Sassagoula river connects Disney's Port Orleans Resort and
Disney's Old Key West Resort with DOWNTOWN DISNEY.

By Monorail:

Disney's monorail runs between the Magic Kingdom Park, Disney's
Contemporary Resort, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, Disney's
Polynesian Resort, and the Transportation and Ticket Center (adjacent to
the Magic Kingdom parking lot). A connecting monorail takes Guests from
the Transportation and Ticket Center to Epcot.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact
us.

Please include your full name, E-Mail address, and reservation number if
applicable on all correspondence.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

XXX XXXXXX

WDW Online Communications

CBOMB

Here it is. The official DIsney Answer. Things have changed since I last worked there.
That's what I just recieved also. It did take 3 days to get it, but it does make their position on who is eligible to use Disney transportation clear. Also had a handy little note on Disney Magical Express.

Einselen

When I visited them recently I remember them saying something about using the buses for transportation, but I can not remember where. I have never heard of buses being resort only (granted I just started revisiting Disney this past year, but girlfriend has been going for years now) and there was even one time a bus took us back to Epcot even though the park had been closed for hours.

CBOMB

If a lot of people sent off a e-mail to wdw guest communications, and asked what those things were that Merf saw were, I wonder what the reply would be. I do think it would be one of those things you would have to keep on them about to get an answer.

ToTBellHop

When I visited them recently I remember them saying something about using the buses for transportation, but I can not remember where. I have never heard of buses being resort only (granted I just started revisiting Disney this past year, but girlfriend has been going for years now) and there was even one time a bus took us back to Epcot even though the park had been closed for hours.
they will take you to any park up to an hour (maybe two?) after the LAST park closes because you could have, for example, started out your day at Animal Kingdom and finished out the day at the Magic Kingdom, so while Animal Kingdom may have closed at 7 pm, for example, you would have been at the MK til perhaps midnight, and they need to provide a means for you to return to your car. I'm not sure how it works with evening EMH since I would imagine they might expect you to just take the bus back to your resort??? I know some people do prefer to drive to the parks rather than take the busses, though I'm not really sure why. I'd rather relax and leave Disney in control.

Einselen

they will take you to any park up to an hour (maybe two?) after the LAST park closes because you could have, for example, started out your day at Animal Kingdom and finished out the day at the Magic Kingdom, so while Animal Kingdom may have closed at 7 pm, for example, you would have been at the MK til perhaps midnight, and they need to provide a means for you to return to your car. I'm not sure how it works with evening EMH since I would imagine they might expect you to just take the bus back to your resort??? I know some people do prefer to drive to the parks rather than take the busses, though I'm not really sure why. I'd rather relax and leave Disney in control.

This is true. We were at MK late because of EMH (long story and that is how Guest Relations took care of us) so since the only people are the park were technically resort guests they would not question that night, however I have rode the bus multiple times during the day and like I said I can not remember where, but some CM somewhere said to take the bus.

So now that the bus kiosk has been debunked what are those things for then?

CBOMB

This is true. We were at MK late because of EMH (long story and that is how Guest Relations took care of us) so since the only people are the park were technically resort guests they would not question that night, however I have rode the bus multiple times during the day and like I said I can not remember where, but some CM somewhere said to take the bus.

So now that the bus kiosk has been debunked what are those things for then?
I'm sorry I must have missed it. How was the bus kiosk debunked?

ToTBellHop

I'm sorry I must have missed it. How was the bus kiosk debunked?
it wasn't...one person said that they weren't for guests...one person. I would consider it unresolved. There are more planned upgrades to the bus system through the end of the year, however.

jmvd20

This is a quote from the 2007Birmbaum's (the official travel guide of WDW) WDW book.

TRANSPORTATION REQUIREMENTS
Guests who wish to use Disney Transportation may be asked for proof of riding privileges. Accepted ID's afford differant degrees of access. WDW resort ID cards, Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper options or Water Parks & More options, and Annual Passes let guests use all Disney Buses, monorails, and boats. Valid one-Day theme park tickets permit guests to use the monorails and the ferries running between the Ticket and Transportation Center and the Magic Kingdom, but DO NOT allow use of buses.

Thanks, but I'll still take Disneys official response that is listed a few posts back as the fact on this issue, as well was my previous experiences not staying on site, and the fact that never once were we asked for resort ID etc... Also this states a one day theme park ticket - what if I have a 2 day ticket, what about a one day hopper, 2 day hopper.

Nah, WDW transportation is free to all guests of the Walt Disney World Resort.

But beyond that my post you were responding to had a ton o' sarcasm in it - thus the generous use of smileys...

CBOMB

it wasn't...one person said that they weren't for guests...one person. I would consider it unresolved. There are more planned upgrades to the bus system through the end of the year, however.
I didn't think it had been resolved, thank you for comfirmation. I just love a mystery.

Vernonpush

I still think that they are for the bus stops. If there is a place to "swipe a card" and they are all tied to a central computer then they can be used for mulitple purposes: allow bus dispatches to regulate Guest flow, allow the "bean counters" info. on who's traveling where (be it Resort Guest, AP holder, ticket holder who may be staying "off-site", a "local" with a Seasonal Pass). I think this will be a way for them to "track" who's going where and when. Allowing the bookkeepers a way to "charge" the resorts their % of "transportation fees". Check how many guests start and end their day at DTD ( each kind of ticket has an address associated to it, they can figure out who is trying to "cheat the system" by parking at DTD if they are "locals" and who is staying at a DTD Resort). Maybe this is a way to get the DTD Resorts to integrate their bus system with Disney ( if they can show them that x number of people are using their bus system to get to the parks).
Time will tell...
:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom