Bus kiosks thingies!

jasondiff

It seems the biggest problem is people parking at DTD in the morning and taking a bus to the parks. There have got to be easier ways to stop this - for example, charging people $10 to park for up to 3 hours and allowing the shops at DTD to validate the parking ticket so you don't have to pay if you are actually shopping there. Although this might inconvenience some people, how many people really head to DTD to do shopping at 9 am? After, say, 3 pm they could just open the gates free to everyone.

BTW, APs get free parking at the parks anyway, so it wouldn't be APs parking at DTD.

brkgnews

Seasonal Passes (FL residents) don't get the free parking, though. And in that case, Mickey could send some goons to your house. :eek:

ImaYoyo

Disney transportation is available to anyone at anytime for any reason. If anyone tells you otherwise, they're wrong. To be perfectly honest, no one cares if anyone parks at DTD and heads to the parks that way. If it's worth the extra 10 bucks in your pocket for that much hassle, then go for it. You will never see me, or anyone else in my position, asking you not to do so.

Disney transportation is an exclusive benefit of The Walt Disney World Resort, which a lot of people confuse with Walt Disney World Resorts. There is no 's' on the end of that phrase.

Figment82

Bus transportation is available to anyone - they even tell you so as you ride the trams to the park. I was just at AK today in fact, when they mentioned it as we passed the bus loop. Anyone and everyone is able to ride the Disney buses, and they let the guests know this upfront.

kurros

Disney transportation is available to anyone at anytime for any reason. If anyone tells you otherwise, they're wrong. To be perfectly honest, no one cares if anyone parks at DTD and heads to the parks that way. If it's worth the extra 10 bucks in your pocket for that much hassle, then go for it. You will never see me, or anyone else in my position, asking you not to do so.

You might want to check with Downtown Disney's leadership then. Having enough parking available for shopping and dining guests is a constant battle, and the main reason service to the parks was stopped. Security has been out there at peak times at the bus stops and boat launches checking for KTTW cards.

jmvd20

You might want to check with Downtown Disney's leadership then. Having enough parking available for shopping and dining guests is a constant battle

I don't recall ever seeing the DTD parking lot anywhere near full. Guess I've always been lucky with the crowds at DTD and PI.

Champion

I don't think its for the buses unless there is some way to input where you are going.

30 guests waiting for one place means send 2 buses to that resort, but 30 waiting to go to 5 different destinations means the normal rotations are fine.

ToTBellHop

I don't think its for the buses unless there is some way to input where you are going.

30 guests waiting for one place means send 2 buses to that resort, but 30 waiting to go to 5 different destinations means the normal rotations are fine.
they would have one kiosk at each station, so I might wake up in the morning at Pop Century and scan at the MGM stop. I'm sure the kiosks would use the attached monitors so you could enter in your destination since many resorts have one building that all of its busses stop at.

Champion

they would have one kiosk at each station, so I might wake up in the morning at Pop Century and scan at the MGM stop. I'm sure the kiosks would use the attached monitors so you could enter in your destination since many resorts have one building that all of its busses stop at.

So you're going to have how many kiosks?

MK
Epcot
MGM
DAK
DTD
TL
BB

Thats per stop, which most resorts have multiple. Thats not logical.

ToTBellHop

So you're going to have how many kiosks?

MK
Epcot
MGM
DAK
DTD
TL
BB

Thats per stop, which most resorts have multiple. Thats not logical.
7 kiosks for somewhere like Pop Century that could have upwards of 10,000 guests at a time is not logical? I would argue it is. You would have as many kiosks as the resort necessitates.

jmvd20

What about resorts such as Riverside that has multiple bus stops at the resort? A seperat kiosk for every stop would be a big expense.

If these kiosks are for the bus system then I would assume they would have a touch screen on them so you could tap your destination after you swipe you card... perhaps?

clarkstallings

If people want to cheat the parking system enough, you can already park at the MK lot for free. There is a return lane to MK parking right across from the gas station/car care center on Floridian Way that is on the north side of the auto plaza. To park for free, theoretically, one would just have to approach MK from either Vista Rd and take Seven Seas Dr. to Floridian Way or from Reams Rd. to Floridian Way. Then you simply get in the lane returning you to the lot. I'm surprised Disney has this hole in their system.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Umm..

A) You have no idea how many i saw. There were lots of them, lots and lots.

B) You scan your card as you enter the queue. That's the 4 parks, 2 water parks, and DtD. 7 kiosks.

Fantasia freak

ok well, let me say a few things i KNOW. There are already camers at POP, the All Stars ant at PLeasure Island. I know because i have seen the video from them at our new bus central. The other resorts however might use a kiosk at each stop. but the value resorts and PI have a cmera pointed at each load zone. and Disney is watching. and the kiosk, if they use it, would be one kiosk per stop. you slide your room key, hit the button for your destination, then type in the number in your party. so it only needs to have buttons for 0-9 and a button for each hub.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
How can they watch all of those loading areas to input data in the computer system if they wont even pay people to watch security cams on most rides?

Krozar

Isn't this just part of Magic in Transportation or whatever it's called? Buses getting GPS and whatnot.

BTW I use the buses nearly on a daily basis and have never had a KTTW. True @ free parking at MK :D I dunno why people want to park at DTD. Just likely to get ran over by a bus there since the traffic has to go along the front of the edifices between the shops and parking. Lot of vehicle and pedestrian interaction and frogger BS going on there. Probably needs a monorail. But I think EVERYWHERE needs a monorail :)

lwalker8

I sincerely doubt that the kiosks have anything to do with buses. It is just not practical. No one would use them. They wouldn't mass produce millions of dollars of kiosks without testing them at one location first to see if they would even help. They have got to be some sort of interactive interface to help the guests do something easier, perhaps dining reservations or something? My money is still on something to do with fastpasses though:shrug:

I sincerely doubt that the kiosks have anything to do with buses. It is just not practical. No one would use them. They wouldn't mass produce millions of dollars of kiosks without testing them at one location first to see if they would even help. They have got to be some sort of interactive interface to help the guests do something easier, perhaps dining reservations or something? My money is still on something to do with fastpasses though:shrug:

It would be really kool for reservations!

uklad79

I am sure I read the reason Disney provides free transport to everyone and not just people staying onsite was the fact they get a tax break on a portion of each ticket for providing a public transport system. If they changed it just people who stay on site they would get a smaller tax break. I am sure a few people parking at resorts and DTD and not paying the $10 fee is no where near as much as huge tax break so I don't see them ever stopping people not staying onsite using the system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom