Buried20kleague's Observations from Recent Visit

I just spent 5 days at the parks, then took a week long cruise with Royal Caribbean, then visited the parks one more day before returning home. I've never done this, but I thought I'd share some thoughts I had as I spent time in the parks. I'm just gonna do it bulletpoint style, and keep each one brief:
  • Starting with the best... SPLASH MOUTAIN. Bravo. Beautiful refurb. Now PLEASE maintain it!! (also fix the final bluebird. what the heck?!?!?)
  • We were given RFID park tickets. We first used them at Typhoon. Worked just fine. The next time we entered a park, the whole family got the green light... Mine was blue and I had to be manually entered by one of the supervisors with the iPhone deal they have. This happened at literally every point I tried to enter a park for the rest of my visit. It never worked. I asked, LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE TIME, if it could be actually fixed so that this wouldn't continue to happen, and I was literally ignored every single time. They would just say something to the effect of "oh, you're good to go!" and that was it. You'd think in beta testing they would want to examine and fix the issue, not just push the issue off to the side and move on.
  • Wifi in the parks was HORRIBLE on my iPhone 5. The My Disney Experience app was even WORSE. Getting the two to succesfully align was like threading a needle. The app would fail repeatedly (and yes, it was updated), and the handful of times it worked, I found it very hard to navigate and get info from. For example, finding current wait times and current FP return times was BRUTAL to locate. IMO, that should be a big, fat, easy to find button. There should also be a simple way to see if any TS restaurant in the current park you are in has table availability. Between connection issues and the app, it took the entire walk from Dumbo to Pirates just to find out if there was any availability at LTT. A single button labeled "Check MK Table Service Availability Today" seems like such a simple idea.
  • Enchanted Tales with Belle - No complaints. My 4 year old was into it. The effect in the workshop is really quite impressive.
  • BoG was fine. Liked eating in the West Wing much more than I would have liked eating in the Ballroom. Way too loud.
  • I liked the que for TLM as much as I liked the ride.
  • HM still looks great. A couple times when I rode it, they were rushing people through the foyer and straight into the stretching rooms though, which I didn't like because you missed the whole initial Ghost Host speech. The HHG's really are cool. I find myself really looking forward to seeing what the ghost is gonna do with my doombuggy... And that's really what it's all about.
  • Relieving myself at the Tangled bathrooms was everything I dreamed it would be and more.
  • There seem to be quite a few more healthy options food wise around the parks. For the first time, we spent our entire time at WDW without eating a bacon cheeseburger. It was nice.
  • Pirates is a mess. Non-functioning AA's, the audio is TERRIBLE and unbalanced all over the place, the blackbeard mist effect is so out of focus you can't even tell it's supposed to be a person let alone blackbeard, and the Jack AA's are seriously showing wear and tear. Thank goodness they spent all that money altering the que though, huh??
  • I didn't mind the mermaid add. The effect in the water was okay, the skeleton on the beach looked well done, and the singing worked for me.
  • We really loved the new castle projection show.
  • I'm getting awfully tired of Americans (of which I am one) and their boorish behavior. Far too many of us are rude and thoughtless. For whatever reason, at the Disney parks, this is magnified. Put that many people in one place, and far too many begin to jockey for position. Adults arriving late and shoving their way in front of small children... Cussing loudly with no regard for surroundings... Loudly berating CM's because of a false feeling of entitlement that apparently wayyyyyy too many of us have... The list goes on and on. Seriously. Sometimes I hate Americans. I noticed some of the same behavior with foreign visitors, but make no mistake. The problem runs rampant with us 'Muricans.
  • HoP is just great.
  • Splash was closed the first 4 days we were at the parks, then after our week long cruise, it was open when we were back in the park for our final day. It was amazing to me how much less crowded the park seemed with that one E-ticket open. It'll be interesting to see how much worse the walkways get (if that's even possible) with FP+.
  • HOLY COW WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT TO CHANGE THE LIGHTBULBS ON THE GF?!?!??! It seriously looks horrible. I have no idea what the problem is with that. It couldn't cost much and is a posterchild for people critical of maintenance. For god's sake, TDO... Just FIX it and give us one less thing to be upset about.
  • We hadn't been to a waterpark at Disney in years, but that will change in the future. We had a lot of fun at Typhoon, and that's even with the cool temps. BB was closed.
  • Sunshine Seasons is the best CS place on property.
  • TT is meh. And it doesn't help that the whole interactive thing still doesn't work. It all makes literally no sense right now. There should have been a plan B for when the interactive aspect didn't work, a la "B Mode" for Everest (but hopefully less sucky).
  • Illuminations remains fantastic, and with a globe upgrade to today's video tech, would be nothing short of amazing. Makes no sense to me that this hasn't been done yet. It could easily be marketed well.
  • I believe Raglan Road is one of the best places on property. The entertainment is great, and the food is very very good. And I say that even though one of my daughters and I both good food poisoning from the place. I'll definitely be back next trip.
I spent the whole time in the parks really trying to think about the MM and FP+ deal and the pros and cons. I can only think of two pros...

1. The whole TSMM morning rush.

2. Needing a FP runner.

Those are literally the only two pros that I could come up with. And the FP runner issue could be solved many other ways more easily and cheaper. FP+ is certainly not the only solution.

One of the biggest things I kept thinking is that Disney is just "feeding the beast" here when it comes to people staring at their cell phones in the parks. Building up a wifi network will only make it worse. Teens with their heads buried and texting rather than talking to family or friends or noticing the detail around them... It's really a horrible trend, and Disney is empowering the habit. It was even MORE noticeable on the cruise we went on. Having no cell serivce was noticeable, and had a positive effect, IMO... Especially on my family. We had great dinners together with great conversation, and the same around other areas of the ship. Disney should be working toward THAT, as opposed to trying to make it easier for Sally to tweet about how she's getting a churro.

Overall, the days in the parks were a lot of fun. We really tried hard to just go and enjoy and not stress about crowds and so forth, and we suceeded for the most part. But some things just didn't escape our view.

Genie of the Lamp

Thanks for the review @Buried20KLeague. Glad you had a good time.:) Sucks though that you had many technical diffuculties be it with RFID Ticket, MDE app, TT,etc. Did you go to DHS or AK at all or didn't you have any time to do so?

WDWFigment

Great insight, and of the things I have experienced, I agree with just about everything you posted. About the only thing I disagreed with is Test Track, but I was lucky enough to experience that without any issues, so I can't say I really disagree, I just probably got lucky.

I really wish Sunshine Seasons could have a better seating area. I agree that it's the best CS in Walt Disney World, but wouldn't it be nice if the ambiance matched the cuisine? Right now, it feels a lot like a mall food court, and that's really too bad, since it's a great dining option.

I used to go to Typhoon Lagoon every year with my family, but have only been once as an adult. My wife hates water parks, but has agreed to go this year. I'm psyched. It's such a well done park.

As far as the RFID stuff...I'll bet they're having so many issues right now that stopping to actually address each one would consume massive amounts of manpower. Not to excuse them not addressing it, just speaking to all of the reported issues with the system.

I can't wait to see Splash Mountain. It was once a favorite. Hopefully it will be again soon!

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster
Thanks for the review @Buried20KLeague. Glad you had a good time.:) Sucks though that you had many technical diffuculties be it with RFID Ticket, MDE app, TT,etc. Did you go to DHS or AK at all or didn't you have any time to do so?

We did visit AK and HS... Honestly I didn't really post anything about that because it would be the same thing everyone else says, really... The yeti infuriates me, Dinosaur depresses me, the safari is great, the shows are great.

At HS, our 4 year old went on ToT for the first time, and I was worried how it would go... She did okay! Didn't have time for RnRC or TSMM. Ate at Sci-Fi... Was happy that I didn't find it horrible. ;) F! drives me nuts because we've seen the DL version so many times recently.

Our focus this trip was Epcot, the MK, and Typhoon. I was glad we did.

Mammymouse

We were at the World the previous weekend and we noticed the mermaid skeleton on Pirates on the beach but missed the other I guess. Where and what was the other mermaid addition?

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster
Great insight, and of the things I have experienced, I agree with just about everything you posted. About the only thing I disagreed with is Test Track, but I was lucky enough to experience that without any issues, so I can't say I really disagree, I just probably got lucky.

I really wish Sunshine Seasons could have a better seating area. I agree that it's the best CS in Walt Disney World, but wouldn't it be nice if the ambiance matched the cuisine? Right now, it feels a lot like a mall food court, and that's really too bad, since it's a great dining option.

I used to go to Typhoon Lagoon every year with my family, but have only been once as an adult. My wife hates water parks, but has agreed to go this year. I'm psyched. It's such a well done park.

As far as the RFID stuff...I'll bet they're having so many issues right now that stopping to actually address each one would consume massive amounts of manpower. Not to excuse them not addressing it, just speaking to all of the reported issues with the system.

I can't wait to see Splash Mountain. It was once a favorite. Hopefully it will be again soon!

You couldn't be more right about the seating for SS. And if you go at a peak time, FORGET it. Problem is, I just don't know what they could do to fix it. They could enclose it and theme it to different rooms, but that would goof up the open air, sunny look of the pavilion as you enter.

Even my teenage daughters got off Splash noticing everything positive on it, and we hadn't been on in a year. It's really fabulous. Seriously dislike that they turned the cannons back on before the second lift though. I really think getting drenched is unnecessary. There's so much more to that ride... It really shouldn't resort to that cheap gag, IMO.

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster
We were at the World the previous weekend and we noticed the mermaid skeleton on Pirates on the beach but missed the other I guess. Where and what was the other mermaid addition?

In the bubbling water between the mist effect and the skeleton beach. It's easy to miss if you don't know it's coming.

OH!!!! ALSO ON PIRATES... LOVE the new skull rock effect as you approach the beach. Love it, love it. Reminded me of the same effect on Pirates in Paris before the drop. So cool.

PolynesianPrincess

Thanks for the insight!! Sounds like the Splash refurb was really a refurb this time!! Let's hope it stays that way!!

And I agree with you 100% on the fact that Disney is, as you said "feeding the beast" with the whole smart phone thing. I will admit that while I am waiting in a long line, I will tweet or post a picture or something. But when I am walking around or on an attraction, I'm taking in all the details, enjoying the music, etc.. You can bet your bottom dollar that when I have children and they are old enough to have cell phones (so around the age of 5 maybe with today's trends lol) they will NOT have their phones on them at the parks. I will hold onto them unless they absolutely need them. I'm not going to spend all this money on a trip to Disney just to have my kids play on their phones. We're so addicted to these devices now it's sickening.

WDWFigment

You couldn't be more right about the seating for SS. And if you go at a peak time, FORGET it. Problem is, I just don't know what they could do to fix it. They could enclose it and theme it to different rooms, but that would goof up the open air, sunny look of the pavilion as you enter.

Even my teenage daughters got off Splash noticing everything positive on it, and we hadn't been on in a year. It's really fabulous. Seriously dislike that they turned the cannons back on before the second lift though. I really think getting drenched is unnecessary. There's so much more to that ride... It really shouldn't resort to that cheap gag, IMO.

I don't know that there is a whole lot, honestly. I think the best solution would be something with greenery and fountains, perhaps akin to the Crystal Gardens at Chicago's Navy Pier: http://www.navypier.com/about/ov_crystal_gard.html

The problem is, that would reduce capacity to at least a degree, and that restaurant needs all the seating it can get. There is definitely unused space in that pavilion, it's just a question of whether Sunshine Seasons could reclaim some of the unused area for seating.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Thanks for the update \ observations. Totally pumped Splash is looking and operating well. Fingers crossed it's at least maintained for the next 180 days or so...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom