Building Spaceship Earth

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
Hi :)

I'm working on a detailed 3D model of Epcot including its Pavillions.
This is a long running project and will likely take another few years to finish.
The focus for now, though, is on Spaceship Earth and a design proposal i have begun roughly 3 years ago, Horizons V2. (i will get to this topic at a later point in time)
The concept is by far nowhere near completion,
but i think it's a viable, cost efficient and entertaining solution.

However, to understand more about the logic behind the EPCOT building code
[i currently don't have a copy :,( ]
i wanted to concentrate on recreating a full detail (as much as possible) model of the SSE building, including the full ride, queue and, especially, the structure underneath.
This will, for example, make for a great video to show how it would look
if you rode through SSE's raw structure.

So far i've managed to work out how the structure transfers the weight-load
and why the "geodesic-shape math" never made sense,
its segments are shifted to have a connection point with the main structure.

sadly there is onlylLittle documentation available about the structural design.
This article was quite helpful, though it mainly concentrates on the quadrupod connections
and what types of steel flanges were used for the hull.

( http://tampasteelerecting.com/images/epcot.pdf )
very interesting read about SSE's construction, btw.

EP-SE-WIP-004.jpg

Here's some early snapshots, a few weeks old but i haven't had a chance to do a proper render to show off. For now i'm mainly concentrating on getting all the proper dimensions and spacing

Note: The angle closely resembles one of the original construction photos

EP-SE-WIP-003.jpg

Note: The geodesic hull is only a placeholder for the final strut assembly,
its horizontal struts aren't shifted yet, as opposed to the original structure.

I can't finish it without some help though, since i'm quite far away from Florida i can't just go there and ride it all day long to get the material i need. And the model will be mostly built from photo and video references from construction, past and present. The available unofficial blueprints helped me during the process so far, but they are inacurrate in some of the positions.

One VERY important question for me right now is the exact width of the track gauge and the RV dimensions at ist widest points. (door to door at its equator height)

i currently have locked a track gauge of 3'10" and the connection brackets at a 4' spacing and the segment length should be at 16ft. (Florida regulation forbids (or forbade?) items transported on roads and highways not to exceed 16ft.)
The RVs approximate width should be about 5'5". But it's only guesswork.
The track gauge seems too large, so i plan to resize it to between 2'10 and 3'5".

Here's a few questions i could use some help with:
  • Does anyone have reliable dimension specs of the track gauge and/or ride vehicles?

• Upon entering the load area there is a door to your right , before you step onto the moving belt. Where does it lead? Is it a mechanical room or does it connect to the maintenance corridor? (my guess would be: mechanical room)

• The maintenance lift has vertical sliding doors? (too little space for regular sliding doors)

• The "emergency lane" (the path next to the ride track) has how many stair steps in total?

• Does anyone have the chance to film or photograph the underside of the RVs or the visible parts of them? Or a video of the full ride loop (w/ transition from exit back to queue)

• OR (next one is very important!)

• Does anyone have the chance to film only the ride track (visible if you hold the camera down in front of the front row of the vehicle, preferably with a light source. (With this i would be able to calculate the exact angles, distance and positioning of the track gauge)

• Is all RV maintenance done in the "space" section or is there a hidden rig somewhere along the track? (to vbe able to exchange or temporarily detach a RV from the daisychain?

• So many questions, i'm sure i'll have more later, but for now an answer to any of the above questions or tasks would help me tons to be able to get it as accurate as possible

EP-SE-WIP-020small.jpg

Attachments

• EP-SE-WIP-006.jpg
    EP-SE-WIP-006.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 211
  • EP-SE-WIP-018.jpg
    EP-SE-WIP-018.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 252
  • EP-SE-WIP-016.jpg
    EP-SE-WIP-016.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 205

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You could google various other who've built 3d models of the building and the park in the past. One person in particular did SSE.

I do know you won't see the track between vehicles. A plastic buffer from the vehicle overhangs each join in the chain for safety.

Certainly the service elevator doors on the ground floor are regular sliding ones. The cabin and doorway is big enough to take one RV if needed. However, RV servicing is preformed via a door on the right side as you ascend somewhere between the cinema scene and the computer scene. In 1982 two spare RVs were installed in the service area should one in use need swapping out overnight. Not sure if this is still the case.

If you're building the complete structure, be aware there is a foundation layer that ties the six legs together into a central point directly under the lowest part of the structure.

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
You could google various other who've built 3d models of the building and the park in the past. One person in particular did SSE.

I do know you won't see the track between vehicles. A plastic buffer from the vehicle overhangs each join in the chain for safety.

Certainly the service elevator doors on the ground floor are regular sliding ones. The cabin and doorway is big enough to take one RV if needed. However, RV servicing is preformed via a door on the right side as you ascend somewhere between the cinema scene and the computer scene. In 1982 two spare RVs were installed in the service area should one in use need swapping out overnight. Not sure if this is still the case.

If you're building the complete structure, be aware there is a foundation layer that ties the six legs together into a central point directly under the lowest part of the structure.

The model you refer to looks great, it's only the outer hull and visible parts, but quite well done.
He hasn't worked on it in quite a while though and it doesn't look like he has/had any plans to work on the inner ride structure.

Hm ok, and between RV and the spacer-car? or tilted from the side? seeing only parts of the track would still do fine as long as it's the full loop (from load to unload).

About the vertical door, the first time i started to wonder was because of this picture.
It looks like a vertical sliding door, but it's the only pic i have of it. Hence my confusion.
spaceshipearth04.jpg

Trying to figure out the foundation info, i've made a snapshot and colored it in red, is this what you meant?
(quick concept render of it) this would also answer the question of which foundation the elvator sits on, as it's used to distribute some of the load from the ride structure and therefore would have to sit on the same foundation. unless i'm wrong.
EP-SE-WIP-021.jpg

EP-SE-WIP-022.jpg

I've been wondering about the exotic foundation work, as the ground should have an approximate bearing load of 200-350 kPa, which explains the length of the foundational "pegs", but there should be some kind of flat foundation (or cable ring) to hold it in place, like a screw anchor (a dowel?) otherwise the whole structure would, in theory, be torn apart over time. That's great info! Thanks!

I'll keep my eyes peeled on any footage that could.. wait a minute. The cinema?? HA!
That's right above the flat curve loop you ride though during descent. There is definetly some backstage space above (the wall-covered platform you go around, on the left hand side), might just be the exact area you mentioned. Enough space for 2 RVs :D

EDIT: Or is the RV swap area located on the right side across the former Internet set?
(the descent track tube crosses behind the Cinema set)

Last edited:

Tom

Beta Return
This is incredible.....I will be lurking and following along :)

The only piece of information I have, which you probably already know, is that the lower half of the sphere hangs from the platform at the top of the support legs, and the upper half sits on that, like a table. That's grossly over-simplified, but essentially how they pulled it off.

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
Ok, the foundation is pretty much done by shape, the legs are supposed to be longer, but somehow i still ned to figure out how thick the blocks are, they appear to have the width as seen in the picture, but i think the 120ft pylons must be thinner, the thick blocks likely act as a "platform" giving the buildng surface stability, underneath the "platforms" the pylons (not in the picture) probably go down 120ft. vertically (no angle as i previously thought)

EP-SE-WIP-023.jpg EP-SE-WIP-024.jpg

Next i'll concentrate on the area below the sphere, in order to have more size references.
EP-SE-WIP-027.jpg EP-SE-WIP-028.jpg EP-SE-WIP-038.jpg

EP-SE-WIP-035.jpg

Last edited:

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
Still looks a bit chaotic, but things are starting to take shape.

(keep in mind, these are quickrenders without any shading applied. No lights, shadows, materials, reflections, etc.)
(This will happen at a much later state)

EP-SE-WIP-051.jpg EP-SE-WIP-049.jpg

The entrance section is pretty much done apart from minor details and a final fix for the railing.
EP-SE-WIP-052.jpg

EP-SE-WIP-044.jpg

Next are the VIP Lounge and exit area, and the 2-story Elevator(s?) with the staircase, the Exit&Maintenance corridor, etc.
EP-SE-WIP-050.jpg

twilight mitsuk

EDIT: Or is the RV swap area located on the right side across the former Internet set?
(the descent track tube crosses behind the Cinema set)[/QUOTE]

Isn't that where the elevator landing is? That would make more sense to have the RV swap there

ntoeman

What do you mean by swap? I've actually witnessed a vehicle change-out during an over night maintenance shift I got to do during my CP. Everything happened at the top of the lift in front of/below the screens. And based on what I saw, I'm pretty confident there is no storage where you have circled. I think they may have kept one or two vehicles on the side, but as far as I know it's rare they would just have some in storage. They're either at the shops or on the track. Hope that helps for now!

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
What do you mean by swap? I've actually witnessed a vehicle change-out during an over night maintenance shift I got to do during my CP. Everything happened at the top of the lift in front of/below the screens. And based on what I saw, I'm pretty confident there is no storage where you have circled. I think they may have kept one or two vehicles on the side, but as far as I know it's rare they would just have some in storage. They're either at the shops or on the track. Hope that helps for now!

Ok, thanks for the info, that's good to know. :)
There are still too many question marks for the inside area, so for now i'm mainly concentrating on the exterior :/
But i appreciate all the info you have, helps me to get my head around the interior.

you can find a slideshow of the current progress below:
(I you'd like to support my project/experiment,
you can do so by subscribing to the Epcot3D
channel or by sharing the video
(Which would be pretty awesome!))

Cheers! :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...

I was gonna tag you, but you already found this thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom