Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Entirely indifferent

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
They serve a purpose.

That's the best answer I can give. I don't actively go in search of a buffet. But I'm not altogether put off by a good one. Every once in a while when the urge hits....well.

Jambo Dad

We don’t do buffets outside of Disney. At Disney we have been huge fans of Boma for a long time. Fantastic for breakfast and dinner. Not cheap but we are ok with that. Others at Disney:
Tusker House - good, similar to Boma
Chef Mickeys - fun atmosphere but food is actual pretty weak, also the space really needs a deep cleaning.
Crystal Palace - good but haven’t been since before pandemic.
Trails End - used to love it - great fried chicken - sorry it’s going away

Scott B

Like most questions, it depends, and has changed over time.

At WDW, our favorite buffet has been Tusker House for the variety.

We’ve done Crystal Palace once just to see Tigger on my bday lol. Didn’t expect much from the food, which is probably why it was better than expected.

Biergarten - once in the 90’s and never again. That is not my kind of food.

Haven’t done Boma; for the price we’ve always chosen Jiko. I’d hate to miss a Jiko meal for even an above average buffet.

We mostly choose nicer restaurants at WDW now, but not always.

I do not love touching all the serving spoons touched by so many other people (since long before covid.)

Outside Disney, we used to go to Sweet Tomatoes buffet and a handful of others, but not so much lately.

So, I’m not strongly for or against. I’ll go to one if it sounds good, or if it’s cheap and if that matters at that moment lol.
Sweet Tomatoes has closed. Closed during COVID.

Eric Graham

Crystal Palace buffet for Lunch or Dinner is currently good (for us) for cleanliness, food selection, Blue Moon, and characters. We have yet to return to the Biergarten as the family-style offering put us off as simply dreadful. Germanic offerings are our comfort food of choice Kaltsalat, Rouladen, Gravlax, and Wiesen-Hendl will always have a place on our plates when available.
We took my nephew and niece there when they were younger. It was a bonus for me because I have a few Winnie the Pooh pictures in my house, and also I danced with Winnie the Pooh and Friends at a Not So Scary Halloween event!

oogie boogie man

I usually avoid buffets, it's too loud and the food quality is usually really poor. The only time I liked a buffet was for breakfast (Chef Mickey), but even that wasn't worth it. Because it was so damn loud and chaotic.

The platter meals are usually vastly superior.

CaptainAmerica

I usually avoid buffets, it's too loud and the food quality is usually really poor. The only time I liked a buffet was for breakfast (Chef Mickey), but even that wasn't worth it. Because it was so damn loud and chaotic.

The platter meals are usually vastly superior.
Try Boma.

Still somewhat loud, but I wouldn't say "chaotic." And the food is miles better than most TS at WDW.

Chef Mickey's is probably the worst of the bunch.

esskay

Another vote for Boma. It had a couple of years where it was pretty mediocre pre-pandemic but looks to be back on form now. They always have a decent selection.

And stay away from the zebra domes please, those are reserved for me.

Tusker house was ok but found the selection compared to Boma to be lacking a bit. The atmospheres also a little more chaotic there.

CaptainAmerica

Tusker house was ok but found the selection compared to Boma to be lacking a bit. The atmospheres also a little more chaotic there.
Yeah I don't like to compare the two even though they have similar flavors. Tusker House is good if 1) you don't have a car and don't want to deal with the hassle of getting to and from Animal Kingdom Lodge, and 2) if you want a character meal with actual decent food.

Their breakfast menu has a lot of savory options so if you eat around 10:00 you can make a really good brunch out of it and cover both meals in one.

Mireille

Premium Member
Yeah I don't like to compare the two even though they have similar flavors. Tusker House is good if 1) you don't have a car and don't want to deal with the hassle of getting to and from Animal Kingdom Lodge, and 2) if you want a character meal with actual decent food.

Their breakfast menu has a lot of savory options so if you eat around 10:00 you can make a really good brunch out of it and cover both meals in one.
I've eaten a couple times at Tusker House and I like the characters, but I found they had a larger than usual selection of vegetarian (if not totally plant-based) options to choose from. But I think the last time I ate there was 2019 so not sure if that's changed.

stratman50th

Trail's End was the best kept secret on property. Both for price and food selection. We would take friends there when they came down for a visit. That was our last reason to go on property. Sadly now it's gone.
Cape May Cafe was the worst buffet we ever ate at. Went in 2011. The service was horrible. We saw the server when we were seated and when the check came. I was only there for the crab legs and like a PP stated, you waited for them to fill the bin from empty every 30 minutes or so. If you weren't standing in front with a plate forget it for another 30 minutes. That went for all the "good stuff". You want an awesome seafood buffet try Boston Seafood Market off property on International. I am a big fan of most breakfast buffets. As long as they have bacon I'm good!

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Here’s the thing about buffets. At least for me. There are some good…there are some bad. Obviously quality matters and you don’t necessarily get that at most (not all) buffets.

Putting aside you are hard pressed to get anything cooked to order - I always find a much quicker turnover at buffets. You just eat too quickly.

I’ve seen the first plate of many, who need two hands to hold it and some balancing skill just to get back to the table. That same person is back in line within 10 minutes.

The draw is to eat as much as you care. The offset is eat as much as you can and pace yourself so as it doesn’t wreck havoc on the rest of your day.

I’ve always found the “I’m going to get my money’s worth” mentality at a buffet is solely focused on quantity and not necessarily quality.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Haven’t done Boma; for the price we’ve always chosen Jiko. I’d hate to miss a Jiko meal for even an above average buffet.
Like you, I would always choose Jiko for dinner at AKL. But would you consider Boma for breakfast? I’ve done the breakfast buffet there, and it was awesome. Lots of interesting food (plus the “usual” breakfast stuff for my less-than-adventurous hubby).

Disclaimer: all my Boma breakfast experiences are pre-Covid. Hopefully it’s returned to its normal standard.

Tony the Tigger

Like you, I would always choose Jiko for dinner at AKL. But would you consider Boma for breakfast? I’ve done the breakfast buffet there, and it was awesome. Lots of interesting food (plus the “usual” breakfast stuff for my less-than-adventurous hubby).

Disclaimer: all my Boma breakfast experiences are pre-Covid. Hopefully it’s returned to its normal standard.
We really don’t eat breakfast! Hardly ever eat breakfast out.

I have to force myself on a new workout plan to have a cup of oatmeal or a protein pancake or something 🤣 otherwise I’d usually just have a little fruit until lunch.

esskay

Also been to Liberty Tree Tavern for Christmas dinner a few times.
I went there a couple of weeks back as it'd been a good 10 years since I last went, it was good and better than I remember it being. The declaration salad was really nice, as was the pot roast!

Smiley/OCD

I went there a couple of weeks back as it'd been a good 10 years since I last went, it was good and better than I remember it being. The declaration salad was really nice, as was the pot roast!
That pot roast is the best!! When we go, we have them switch out the sliced pork for 2 servings of pot roast…why waste the food if we’re not going to eat it? The pork is good, but the pr is better!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom