buffet tipping

Nj4mwc

Original Poster
What does everyone tip at buffets in WDW. I am normally a good tipper. Even if a server is rude or terrible I still tip at least 20%, just seems like buffets the server doesn't do as much. Do they still get the standard low waiter wages or are they paid more,

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I respectfully disagree that the server at a buffet doesn't do as much. The server takes your beverage order, keeps those beverages replenished and comes back frequently to clear the used plates off the table.

A server at a non-buffet takes your food order in addition to beverage order, but most times runners deliver your food to the table (and often clear plates.)

I don't believe their base wage is higher than any other server; someone please correct me if I am wrong (@BuddyThomas.)

JourneysEnd

Wouldn't it depend on how Disney classifies them? At quick service, they are not allowed to accept tips.
BOG is QS at breakfast and lunch yet they bring the food to you. I'm assuming they are paid regular wages.
Don't know about the buffets as most of those are TS. Would need a CM to answer that. At any other buffet setup I would tend to tip less than a full service situation.

Mukta

What does everyone tip at buffets in WDW. I am normally a good tipper. Even if a server is rude or terrible I still tip at least 20%, just seems like buffets the server doesn't do as much. Do they still get the standard low waiter wages or are they paid more,
I still tip 20% a a buffet as long as my drink remains filled and my dirty plates are cleared in a timely manner.

ToTBellHop

I still tip 20% a a buffet as long as my drink remains filled and my dirty plates are cleared in a timely manner.
Same here. I determine my tip at any sit down (somewhere between 15-20%) based upon how well the server meets my expectation given the dining type. My most-important expectation is that my drink not go empty for more than a couple minutes. They do that, they get 20%. And if they are nice to my kids, 25! I usually tip 25 at WDW :)

BuddyThomas

I respectfully disagree that the server at a buffet doesn't do as much. The server takes your beverage order, keeps those beverages replenished and comes back frequently to clear the used plates off the table.

A server at a non-buffet takes your food order in addition to beverage order, but most times runners deliver your food to the table (and often clear plates.)

I don't believe their base wage is higher than any other server; someone please correct me if I am wrong (@BuddyThomas.)
Buffet waiters do not make a higher base wage than "regular" waiters and the work is at least as difficult if not more so. And with that, I am making my exit. Not getting dragged into another debate with a bunch of people who use a Disney forum to brag about their substandard tipping practices.

ToTBellHop

Buffet waiters do not make a higher base wage than "regular" waiters and the work is at least as difficult if not more so. And with that, I am making my exit. Not getting dragged into another debate with a bunch of people who use a Disney forum to brag about their substandard tipping practices.
I'm not sure why tipping is always so contentious around here. It's inherently discretionary.

DManRightHere

I can agree with OP to an extent. It really just depends. It is usually just me and my wife and we see a server twice. I will probably be bashed but I tip a bit over 10%. If we request lots of things or stay for awhile it's back to 15-20%. We're really just trying to stay away from buffets period now, we always end up overstuffed!

lostpro9het

Help me understand this, If its all about keeping the drinks flowing and clean plates coming, why am I paying $6 more per person in tips for a Boma dinner than a Boma breakfast?(assuming holiday pricing of $30/person for breakfast and $60 for dinner) If my family of three were to enjoy a Boma breakfast when we go Christmas week we are looking at $18 in tips for the family**. If my family of three were to enjoy a Boma dinner when we go Christmas week we are looking at $36 in tips for the family**. What justifies that increase in tips for essentially the same service for the same staff?

**We don't eat buffets at all except for 'Ohana breakfasts and always tip 20% there, were not big on the buffets.

DisneyFans4Life

Help me understand this, If its all about keeping the drinks flowing and clean plates coming, why am I paying $6 more per person in tips for a Boma dinner than a Boma breakfast?(assuming holiday pricing of $30/person for breakfast and $60 for dinner) If my family of three were to enjoy a Boma breakfast when we go Christmas week we are looking at $18 in tips for the family**. If my family of three were to enjoy a Boma dinner when we go Christmas week we are looking at $36 in tips for the family**. What justifies that increase in tips for essentially the same service for the same staff?

**We don't eat buffets at all except for 'Ohana breakfasts and always tip 20% there, were not big on the buffets.
I guess you could use this theory with TS as well. If a waiter's job is to take your order, refill your drinks and check in on you, shouldn't they be tipped based on how well they do those tasks without the price of your meal coming into play?

If my wife and I order a filet with baked potatoe for $30 each and the waiter refills our drinks, checks on us regularly, etc...shouldn't that waiter get the same tip from a couple who only ordered two burgers for $12 each as long as the service was the same?

ToTBellHop

Because in America, we usually figure tips as a percentage of the total bill, not a flat rate. A key exception that WDW visitors encounter would be baggage handlers, where a flat $1-2/bag is customary or Mousekeeping where most offer a flat tip regardless of how much they paid for the room.

daisyduckie

I can agree with OP to an extent. It really just depends. It is usually just me and my wife and we see a server twice. I will probably be bashed but I tip a bit over 10%. If we request lots of things or stay for awhile it's back to 15-20%. We're really just trying to stay away from buffets period now, we always end up overstuffed!

Yeah, 10% is very low. I have to agree with some of the others, I see a lot of my waiter/waitress when I eat at Disney buffets. Especially given the males in my family will put away 3 plates of food, and need 5 or 6 (no I'm not joking) refills of their water.

Tipping my be up to each guest, but there is a standard people should follow. 15% is considered a low tip. Anything under that should be left for bad service.

ekutchey

My rule of thumb is like many peoples on here. If you are friendly, keep my drink full, clear plates in a timely manner and keep asking if things are good you get the 20% or more. But then again this applys to sit down service as well.

DManRightHere

Yeah, 10% is very low. I have to agree with some of the others, I see a lot of my waiter/waitress when I eat at Disney buffets. Especially given the males in my family will put away 3 plates of food, and need 5 or 6 (no I'm not joking) refills of their water.

Tipping my be up to each guest, but there is a standard people should follow. 15% is considered a low tip. Anything under that should be left for bad service.

Well, when I see a server 2-3 times and it is a $60 buffet for 2 people and we're there for 25 minutes, I just don't see the extra...not saying they should get minimum wage, it's just a lot quicker meal for us at a buffet. As I said, if we have lots of requests, or stay for a long time, I am tipping more.

I tip the (what i think) standard 15-20% at traditional table service.

DManRightHere

This is slightly off topic but before this thread flies completely out of control and gets locked or deleted, did any of you see this crazy story about an Ohio waitress who got stiffed by some jerk, and the waitresses response?

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/11/468...tomers-then-she-sees-a-note-on-their-receipt/

I am sick of servers getting stiffed. Restaurants could require a minimum tip, but people would probably think the minimum is ok. The restauraunts could post it discreetly and pretty much push the traditional tip method, but then people may say it is deceptive...

People just suck.

Side note. Joes is experimenting with no tip restaurants. Workers get a minimum of $12 an hour. So could this result in worse customer experience? As in the worker doesn't care since they know they're getting as least $12? Who knows!

What do restaurant employees actually want?

jaklgreen

I am sick of servers getting stiffed. Restaurants could require a minimum tip, but people would probably think the minimum is ok. The restauraunts could post it discreetly and pretty much push the traditional tip method, but then people may say it is deceptive...

People just suck.

Side note. Joes is experimenting with no tip restaurants. Workers get a minimum of $12 an hour. So could this result in worse customer experience? As in the worker doesn't care since they know they're getting as least $12? Who knows!

What do restaurant employees actually want?

Maybe they want a living wage and to be treated like a person. $12/hour is only under $25,000 a year and that is if you work 40 hours/52 weeks a year. If it is slow they will send you home with no pay and if you want to take time off, you don't get paid because most places do not give paid vacations. I work in food so I can have a flexible schedule to be home for my kids and I have to tell you, people treat us like crap. I am a 42yo Mom and am very friendly to my customers always with a smile and several times a day people with get nasty with me for no other reason then they are probably having a bad day. It is not an easy job dealing with the public and many people do not have the temperament for it and cant take being treated like that. We have a hard time finding and keeping people because they say they cant take it. So remember to be nice to your food service workers, they do not deserve your nastiness. Thank you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom