Buffet Question..

Phonedave

As was said, yes you do tip.

As to how much, this thread could go on and on and on. Arguments abound from; all they are doing is getting my drinks and clearing plates, to servers at a buffet cover more tables that a full service, so while they get less per table, they get the same in total, to prices are lower in a buffet (cleary not in WDW) so the lower tip is "built into" the price, to theories on fix amount tipping, to smaller percentages, etc etc.

For me, in a non-WDW buffet (for the very very very rare times I am in one) I tip the norma 15%-20% because normal buffets are cheaper. What would cost you $30 at a chain restaruant costs you $10 at a buffet. %20 at the chain is $6, 20% at the buffet is $2 - all is good.

Now in the world of Disney, where prices have no bearing on reality and a buffet is upwards of $35 per person, I DO scale the tip back. I am normaly a heavy tipper (if service is good) %20 and then round up to the next dollar amount, but in a WDW buffet I am more in the 10% range.

That's me. You are going to hear a load of different opinions.

-dave

HouCuseChickie

Can I add another question to this buffet thread..If I book an ADR lets say for 8.00pm at Boma..How long have I got that table for.? :inlove:

Honestly, I've only seen this ? come up with fireworks meals...i.e. people with ADRs at Cali Grill, R&C, etc. that are a hair early for fireworks viewing. I'd seen 2 hrs come up on another forum when someone inquired about R&C, but clearly some meals (like a signature spot) could take longer and I don't think it's as big of an issue at a place like Boma where eating more food would be the only big reason to linger. Boma is open until 9:30pm (at least that's what the site shows), so I'm sure it's possible that people with later seatings could easily be eating until 10:30p.

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Honestly, I've only seen this ? come up with fireworks meals...i.e. people with ADRs at Cali Grill, R&C, etc. that are a hair early for fireworks viewing. I'd seen 2 hrs come up on another forum when someone inquired about R&C, but clearly some meals (like a signature spot) could take longer and I don't think it's as big of an issue at a place like Boma where eating more food would be the only big reason to linger. Boma is open until 9:30pm (at least that's what the site shows), so I'm sure it's possible that people with later seatings could easily be eating until 10:30p.
Cheers @HouCuseChickie ..Just wondered..;)

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
Tipping and the amount is like being dropped into the middle of a minefield!

I usually start at 20% and adjust based on service. Keep beverages filled, clear dishes in a timely manner, and most importantly appear to enjoy the job whether it's true or not. If a server adds to my dining experience I'll tip more, and tip less if they detract from it. I WILL NOT communicate displeasure with the quality of food coming out of the kitchen with a reduced tip! If I've got a problem with the quality of the food I need to ask to speak to the manager or chef.

At a buffet I'm likely to see our server as much or more than I would at a signature meal. I've never had dishes pile up on the table at WDW, and I can stack them with the best after a long day in the parks. I may not come back to the table with a plate piled high, since the family of 8 with 6 hard to please children sometimes takes a while;) I'll get a few items, return to the table and eat until there is an opportunity to return to see what else I might like to try. Keep my beverage from running out, or check from time to time to see if I'd like another beer and I'll show my gratitude. Time is $ for a server as well. On a hot day we may linger and soak up some AC and an extra cold beverage (without inconveniencing those with reservations after us). If I'm not rushed to turn the table I'll compensate our server for the extra time.

I have several employees that have waited tables, as does my wife and we've heard some interesting stories and heard their point of view. One of them impressed upon me that a tip and gratuity are the same thing and to think of it as the latter. How grateful are you for the service provided?

Tinkerkell

I tip just as much at a buffet as I do anywhere else as long as they are clearing my many, many dishes in a timely manner and never letting my drink sit empty.

Yes! At buffets, they work hard to keep tables clear because guests refill plates frequently. They will take your drink orders and do refills. I actually think the cast members at buffets work as hard as cast members at other restaurants and we give them a tip in the 20% range.

Especially at Boma, where there are savory soups and salads to sample, my family can go through a lot of bowls and plates during a meal! Make sure you do sample some of the soups. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom