BTMRR Next Gen Effects Being Installed

docnabox

On a related note, I read on Entertainment Weekly where ABC has ordered a pilot called "Big Thunder" based on the story behind the ride. If anyone else has posted this elsewhere, I apologize.

Figments Friend

I noticed these when i visited BTMR at the end of January...and silly me, i did not even realize what i was looking at. These were roped off so at that time folks could not get that close of a look.

Besides, I was too busy geeking out over the old queue crate that had 'Thunder Mesa' written on the side of it and other bits. I love 'Tony's Mountain'

:)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I agree not a big fan of interactive queues. Just seems like another way Mickey is trying to keep people in line longer.

Isn't fastpass a way to keep us in stores longer? Is Disney sending us mixed messages? Oh no, what's a poor guest do? I just had a vision of the future. Once the next gen effects are working they will then have areas where we can purchase plastic things with a swipe of our wristband in the queue!

lego606

MagicBandit
I always pass people in Space Mountain when they play on those screens. If there is a lot of free space infront Im not waiting for a minute if people wanna play the astroidsgame.

I dont do it at the interactive que in HM, though I dont understand why people wanna do it as its 20 minutes in que when you could have 2 minutes. I still remember being forced into the interactive que by cast members one day, it was right after the interactive que opened and I didnt know it would be more time in line. I got angry when I saw all the people behind me passing and literaly enter the ride with no line.

I've seen people try to do that and get yelled at.

MerlinTheGoat

Please tell me that I wasn't naive in my assumption that since this refurb is going on until 5/28 that they were doing both (past and next gen).
Not entirely sure this is what you were asking about, but the "past gen" stuff we're talking about are broken effects on the ride itself. Stuff that should have been taken care of in last year's refurb. The rainbow cavern effects and third lift hill in particular are missing numerous show effects and there has been no attempt to fix them since then. Whatever they're doing now is very unlikely to encompass these issues.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Not entirely sure this is what you were asking about, but the "past gen" stuff we're talking about are broken effects on the ride itself. Stuff that should have been taken care of in last year's refurb. The rainbow cavern effects and third lift hill in particular are missing numerous show effects and there has been no attempt to fix them since then. Whatever they're doing now is very unlikely to encompass these issues.

Yep, that is what I was talking about.

That looks cool, and I'm sure my newly 40 inch little boy will enjoy it on our next vacation.

Oh, and when it comes to queue etiquette, I think it is perfectly acceptable to walk around people playing with the next gen effects. My little guy will happily spend 10 minutes pushing the books in the bookcase at the Haunted Mansion queue. I'd never expect anyone to wait while he played, and if he is having fun and sharing nicely I don't want to rush him. Its his vacation too, and if what he enjoys is pushing the books, who am I to say its wrong. Many non-Disney fans would think things I enjoy like pin trading and hidden Mickey hunting are silly ways to spend time in the parks.

I know the next gen queues are pretty vilified around here, but the little ones do enjoy them.

The Empress Lilly

Space Mountain / queue game etiquette to me:

If people are playing these games just for their own sake, then it is alright to pass them by. One can question the sanity of going to SM just to play a silly computer game not half as entertaining as the ones on your iPhone, but to each his own.

If people are playing these games with the intent of entertaining themselves while waiting - as is their very purpose - then it is strictly off-limits to pass them by. Besides, the ride does not lose capacity, you do not have to wait even a second longer if the person in front of you pauses in line. The gap in front of him, no matter how large, has no effect on your waiting time.

Etiquette confusion, inter-guest irritation: more reasons why queue games are not a good solution. Better to let the queue itself be involving, to let the queue be part of the show. (ToT!)

HMF

This does not look like it might be as objectionable as Mansion but we shall see once the effects are turned on.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Space Mountain / queue game etiquette:

If people are playing these games just for the sake of it, then it is alright to pass them by. One can question the sanity of going to SM just to play a silly computer game there not half as entertaining as the ones on your iPhone, but to each his own.

If people are playing these games with the intent of entertaining themselves while waiting - as is their very purpose - then it is strictly off-limits to pass them by. Besides, the ride does not lose capacity, you do not have to wait even a second longer if the person in front of you pauses in line. The gap in front of him, no matter how large, has no effect on your waiting time.

Etiquette confusion, inter-guest irritation: more reasons why queue games are not a good solution. Better to let the queue itself be involving, to let the queue be part of the show. (ToT!)
I think this will become a source of much contention in the queues. I foresee fisticuffs.

The Empress Lilly

I think this will become a source of much contention in the queues. I foresee fisticuffs.
Queue games are just asking for trouble, aren't they?

The old guard of designers understood people. Understood guests. Indeed, a deep understading of his audience was one of the qualities for which Walt truly deserves his reputation as a genius.

What happened to that? Are Disney Parks ('Is Disney Parks'?) designed by spreadsheet? By nerds sat behind a computer, with a social I.Q. of 75? By ambitious suits who care more for the implementation of their ambitious new scheme on which their promotion hinges than for any lasting impact on the parks? By the dreaded MBA's, who actually look down on their guests, consider them little more than cattle that can be herded?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom