BTMRR’s final lift TNT effect has been shut off intentionally

mickEblu

Fair, though replacing disco yeti has to be more complex then this lil explosion effect. Like COME ON.

So “not fair” then. Haha. I rode BTMRR a few days ago and it’s not just the smoke that’s not working. The lighting effect or projection in the middle of the smoke is turned off too. If they turned that on I imagine it would help even with out the smoke/ mist.

FigmentForever96

The sensor issue is the same reason the mist was turned off on Everest if I recall correctly. The tunnel leading from the main lift to the broken track switch use to be filled with mist but was turned off.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Just wanted to follow up on this - was riding Thunder Friday evening during the fireworks and the final effects were working properly, with all the mist and everything. Honestly was shocking because it was not working the night prior when we rode.
I had a pretty good feeling it wasn't a sensor issue. Those sensors are typically IR, so I'm not sure how a fog machine would impede them.....plus the effect shoots above the train and if you watch any videos the fog doesn't go low enough to affect sensors on the track.

The effect has always been sporadic for me on any of my trips. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think it just comes down to whether they refill the fog machine or not. My guess is that they don't top it off every day....or replace the tanks....or however it gets replenished. It just doesn't get maintained as often as it should.

It also comes down to not always believing what a frontline CM says. They typically don't know any more inside info than we do.

Dapale

I think it just comes down to whether they refill the fog machine or not. My guess is that they don't top it off every day....or replace the tanks....or however it gets replenished.
I’m 99.9% sure it’s just mist/water, so there’s no need to do any adjustments unless the water line breaks or something.

I have no idea why it hasn’t worked often and is sporadic. It could be compared to how the waterfall on the first lift has been off for months now. Who even knows why.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I’m 99.9% sure it’s just mist/water, so there’s no need to do any adjustments unless the water line breaks or something.

I have no idea why it hasn’t worked often and is sporadic. It could be compared to how the waterfall on the first lift has been off for months now. Who even knows why.
I am 100% sure that it is not just mist/water. Water (at room temperature) doesn't spray out like white smoke and is much heavier and you would feel yourself getting wet/cold as you pass under it. Not sure exactly what type of fog they use...if it is the liquid glycol type that is used in consumer/party store fog machines, or something different, but it is probably a water/glycol mixture that has been heated or pressurized to condense the vapor like clouds or fog. That's the safest way to do it.

Dapale

I am 100% sure that it is not just mist/water. Water (at room temperature) doesn't spray out like white smoke and is much heavier and you would feel yourself getting wet/cold as you pass under it. Not sure exactly what type of fog they use...if it is the liquid glycol type that is used in consumer/party store fog machines, or something different, but it is probably a water/glycol mixture that has been heated or pressurized to condense the vapor like clouds or fog. That's the safest way to do it.

Do you not feel wet when you pass through it? I’ve been through plenty of different fog conditions (I’m sure like everyone else), but I swear big thunder’s feels like pressurized mist and not fog.

CaptinEO

Currently at DL, typing on mobile. The TNT mist effect hasn’t worked for my last 3 visits so I decided to ask a ops cast member when it was going to be fixed.

He informed me it was intentionally shut off. Apparently the mist was interfering with the sensors that determined if everyone remained seated.

Don’t know if this has been discussed or not but what a bummer to hear.
I remember this same reason being given 5+ years ago as well, so it sounds likely that the problem continues.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Do you not feel wet when you pass through it? I’ve been through plenty of different fog conditions (I’m sure like everyone else), but I swear big thunder’s feels like pressurized mist and not fog.
I don't recall feeling wet.......but I'll be going in May and if the effect is working I'll try and pay attention to that.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Could be, but it could also be true. It's not that exciting of a rumor to make up. But no idea.
Why would maintenance keep the effect turned on if it could impede the safety of the attraction? That would be a safety violation and the ride would be shut down for violation of regulations. You saying the frontline CMs know more about the safety and mechanics of the ride more than the maintenance people do?

Makes no logical sense.

CaptinEO

Why would maintenance keep the effect turned on if it could impede the safety of the attraction? That would be a safety violation and the ride would be shut down for violation of regulations. You saying the frontline CMs know more about the safety and mechanics of the ride more than the maintenance people do?

Makes no logical sense.
It's not safety but was fog tripping the sensors and causing the ride to E Stop is the rumor. Again, no idea if that was or is true.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
It's not safety but was fog tripping the sensors and causing the ride to E Stop is the rumor. Again, no idea if that was or is true.
Ok, cause that's different than what McQueen said, "Apparently the mist was interfering with the sensors that determined if everyone remained seated."

So the fog was preventing the sensors from working or it was tripping the sensors?

See how quickly rumors can get confused?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ok, cause that's different than what McQueen said, "Apparently the mist was interfering with the sensors that determined if everyone remained seated."

So the fog was preventing the sensors from working or it was tripping the sensors?

See how quickly rumors can get confused?
Occam's razor, simplest answer is its probably the foggers not getting refilled consistently. I think I've even heard a rumor of timing of the effect being an issue, which is why its hit or miss even same day.

Anything else would have resulted in the effect not being used as long as it has.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom