BTMRR’s final lift TNT effect has been shut off intentionally

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Currently at DL, typing on mobile. The TNT mist effect hasn’t worked for my last 3 visits so I decided to ask a ops cast member when it was going to be fixed.

He informed me it was intentionally shut off. Apparently the mist was interfering with the sensors that determined if everyone remained seated.

Don’t know if this has been discussed or not but what a bummer to hear.

Disney Analyst

Assuming they use some sort of intrusion laser or something, and the smoke effect would trigger it sometimes? And if so... can they not just find a different method to detect intrusion?

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Assuming they use some sort of intrusion laser or something, and the smoke effect would trigger it sometimes? And if so... can they not just find a different method to detect intrusion?

Not sure if it was due to false triggers, or due to it hindering the integrity of the senses. He explained it to me but I have a hard time hearing.

D.Silentu

Disappointing, but I'm at least appreciative to know the situation now. The ride lost the rumbling rocks, now this; the tunnel just might be cursed after all! I'm really sorry to see this effect go because it was a spectacular conclusion, following a parade of underwhelming variations on the ride's climax over the years. Though I do have a soft spot for those slow motion falling rocks. Still, Big Thunder's explosive finale was among the best theme park special effects I've ever seen. The remaining projections just aren't as exciting; it's a partial effect. Until they come up with a superior replacement, it will be sorely missed.

Last edited:

October82

The mist effect is (I assume) mostly water vapor, which is transparent across big parts of the spectrum. Even if you placed the sensor directly behind the effect (why would you do that?), you shouldn't have any problems with false detections.

Perhaps someone else knows more about intrusion sensors and the wavelengths they operate at, but I'd be surprised if these sensors don't operate at wavelengths at which water vapor is transparent regardless - there's plenty of water vapor around regardless of whether there's a mist effect.

celluloid

Turn off expensive mist maker for screen that never looks that good for Davy Jones/Blackbeard over at pirates and use that tech for this and Everest, the mist is visible but fine enough that sensors should not be affected. There are definitely work arounds too.

Rich T

So a design team that could figure out how to recreate the most iconic boulder scene in Indiana Jones and fuse three ride systems into one for ROTR can't figure out how to make a little mock explosion work on Big Thunder?
Well, I can’t remember the last time I saw all the effects working on my IJA rides, and the cannons on RotR are still motionless last I heard, the WDW yeti has been broken for how long… so, yeah, no news of a deteriorating experience at Disney surprises me anymore.

D.Silentu

You're correct, it isn't actually real. Just clever projection mapping onto pressurized jets of fog. That being said, it's one of the most convincing special effects I've ever seen and I wouldn't mind if it appeared elsewhere in the future.

mickEblu

I don't remember the effect ever having actual fire? It's always just been projection mapping and a mist effect.

Now you have me second guessing. The current version when working is just some mist and projections I believe. When the effect first appeared it was much more robust. If not fire, what else would be missing? I think you’re right but something is missing that used to be there.

EDIT: just looked at an old video. I guess it’s the projection mapping in the center of the blast that may not have been working when I last rode. Or sometimes I think it’s no mist at all and just the projection mapping on the side walls as you go up the lift hill. Weird how your mind plays tricks on you though. I could have sworn feeling heat the first few times I rode BTMRR when the new effect was introduced. But considering how close that effect is to the riders I doubt they’d ever go with fire there.

Last edited:

rangerbob

So a design team that could figure out how to recreate the most iconic boulder scene in Indiana Jones and fuse three ride systems into one for ROTR can't figure out how to make a little mock explosion work on Big Thunder?
It is also the same company that has disco yeti on Everest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom