News Bruce Vaughn Returns to Disney as Co-Lead of Walt Disney Imagineering

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ok…I like this…
Sooner than you think, but beyond that, not sure.
That’s the Beauty of “blue sky”, isn’t it?
What I know: imagineering is really busy at the moment. There is a desire to get projects moving ASAP.
Question: how many times (ballpark) has WDI worked frantically on concepts and then they hit the skids? Hint: four figures
Things I suspect: Disney spent a lot of money expanding Marvel, Star Wars, streaming etc, and pumping out as much content as possible, now they’re seeing what works and what doesn’t, and are cutting the fat. Now they’re shifting strategies to throw a lot of money on theme parks.
Actually the streaming/content problems are intensifying…

So why are they wanting to throw money at the parks?
Currently, the only WDW investments are a DVC tower, a retheme, fireworks, and a nearly finished Epcot hub. Disneyland has nothing outside of a simple retheme of pacific wharf once TT opens this month.
Correct…they should be doing more just to keep up with park stagnation. But current management has actually invited that.
Hong Kong and Shanghai are nearing completion on Frozen and Zootopia respectively.
Ok…but not a profit centered for TWDC. Controlled by the central party.
They’re not about to cut investment funding to the parks, they may even expand it.
Current level seems high…but as you’ve pointed out: hardly anything is being done currently.
Back to what I know. The people I know in Imagineering are incredibly busy designing the projects that will begin coming to fruition in the near term to fit their desired investments. I said it in the Beyond Big Thunder thread, but what I know is they’re working on a lot. Whether it’s a lot of different things, one massive thing, I’m not entirely sure, I have general ideas and suspicions, but once again, I’m not entirely sure.
And that goes again past pattern? What can we glean?

I am entirely sure, that unless they make a sudden 180° turn, a lot is coming and sooner than you’ll guess.
Let’s meet at the Brazil pavilion and discuss it over lunch? Then we’ll head on over to the Play! pavilion and check that out…should be open any day now.

MerlinTheGoat

Neither of your hearsay can be proven, but his complete absence and public silence cuts against your version
I'm asking if THEIR heresay even has a source at all. Because I do have one. A real one. Unless EagleScout610 is referring to a different source, the "Tony angrily left the project" thing was a joke by Midwestern Elitist back in January. They were pretty clearly not being serious about having actual information, hence the followup post saying the source was a "bus driver". You and EagleScout610 were literally actively reading/posting in that thread when this happened as well...

Tha Realest

Mr. The-Competition-Can’t-Touch-Us returns to Glendale? Ho hum. Guess the Iger 2.0 era continues apace.
Reading up on him and that statement really doesn’t look good in hindsight. But, he embodies the pixie dusting joie de vivre of so many on here, so maybe it’s a good fit after all.

Tha Realest

I'm asking if THEIR heresay even has a source at all. Because I do have one. A real one. Unless EagleScout610 is referring to a different source, the "Tony angrily left the project" thing was a joke by Midwestern Elitist back in January. They were pretty clearly not being serious about having actual information, hence the followup post saying the source was a "bus driver". You and EagleScout610 were literally actively reading/posting in that thread when this happened as well...
That’s the problem with hearsay- it’s unverifiable.

As to the notion that Baxter’s not (or no longer) actively involved, at this point given the absolute dearth of any visible or public involvement since the rollout announcement its the more viable theory in my mind. I’ve listened and watched very podcasts and interviews over the last year and he’s not once acknowledged or spoken of his involvement on this project. When he was at D23 his general vibe was “detached spectator” and spoke of Disney in the third-person.

MerlinTheGoat

That’s the problem with hearsay- it’s unverifiable.

As to the notion that Baxter’s not (or no longer) actively involved, at this point given the absolute dearth of any visible or public involvement since the rollout announcement its the more viable theory in my mind. I’ve listened and watched very podcasts and interviews over the last year and he’s not once acknowledged or spoken of his involvement on this project. When he was at D23 his general vibe was “detached spectator” and spoke of Disney in the third-person.
You are free to make whatever theories you want. If an actual established insider on this forum were to claim that Tony Baxter is not with the project anymore and angrily stormed out near the start, then by all means i'll hear it and defer to their knowledge (there's either scarce knowledge on the details behind this overhaul from the insiders here, or the ones that do know are keeping quiet about it). But until then, I myself have heard otherwise.

Again the problem is spreading around a joke claim as legitimate "heresay". That isn't a rumor, the person who posted it admitted it was a joke.

eddie104

He helped make it what is today.
That may be true but it’s a whole new world right now and changes need to be made.
Ok…I like this…

That’s the Beauty of “blue sky”, isn’t it?

Question: how many times (ballpark) has WDI worked frantically on concepts and then they hit the skids? Hint: four figures

Actually the streaming/content problems are intensifying…

So why are they wanting to throw money at the parks?

Correct…they should be doing more just to keep up with park stagnation. But current management has actually invited that.

Ok…but not a profit centered for TWDC. Controlled by the central party.

Current level seems high…but as you’ve pointed out: hardly anything is being done currently.

And that goes again past pattern? What can we glean?

Let’s meet at the Brazil pavilion and discuss it over lunch? Then we’ll head on over to the Play! pavilion and check that out…should be open any day now.
When did you become an insider ???

This company is in crisis right now and needs a good solid win. I really want to see what they have up their sleeves and what’s to come to the resorts.

If you don’t want to see that then why are you still on these boards lurking and being super pessimistic about everything ?

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
Things I suspect: Disney spent a lot of money expanding Marvel, Star Wars, streaming etc, and pumping out as much content as possible, now they’re seeing what works and what doesn’t, and are cutting the fat. Now they’re shifting strategies to throw a lot of money on theme parks.
The "fat" that Disney has is hopefully most of the Fox stuff they bought, their Hulu stake, and a few other things I can’t think of.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That may be true but it’s a whole new world right now and changes need to be made.

This company is in crisis right now and needs a good solid win. I really want to see what they have up their sleeves and what’s to come to the resorts.

If you don’t want to see that then why are you still on these boards lurking and being super pessimistic about everything ?
So I should go along with the “I know a guy and I’m hearing a thing….”?

You do know that’s second to bus rumors in the history of Disney fan sites, correct?

I never exchange the “thinking” cap for whatever that is…nor should you.

To step back, here’s just my opinion:

1. The current climate for Disney based on financials does Not indicate large spends in parks. Definitely not Orlando. But that’s a long and twisted take.

But to be fair of where these rumors come from, I’d acknowledge two things.
2. Bob Iger is in Trouble - as is the board - and they need some good juju/PR.
3. Comcast’s construction is a legitimate threat. Really for the first time.

We’ll discuss “insider” another day. It will be a in a quiet, “safe zone” 😉

Lilofan

So I should go along with the “I know a guy and I’m hearing a thing….”?

You do know that’s second to bus rumors in the history of Disney fan sites, correct?

I never exchange the “thinking” cap for whatever that is…nor should you.

To step back, here’s just my opinion:

1. The current climate for Disney based on financials does Not indicate large spends in parks. Definitely not Orlando. But that’s a long and twisted take.

But to he fair of where these rumors come from, I’d acknowledge two things.
2. Bob Iger is in Trouble - as is the board - and they need some good juju/PR.
3. Comcast’s construction is a legitimate threat. Really for the first time.

We’ll discuss “insider” another day. It will be a in a quiet, “safe zone” 😉
Iger is 72 , almost worth $1B, get out and enjoy what's left in life . He's a workout health freak working out with his personal trainer in his home gym prior to going to the office, like Staggs so that should extend his life also.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Iger is 72 , almost worth $1B, get out and enjoy what's left in life . He's a workout health freak working out with his personal trainer in his home gym prior to going to the office, like Staggs so that should extend his life also.
I don’t disagree at all…makes perfect sense.

But there’s a tangle of weird ego and “perception” with this guy…and there always has been.
Too many examples to count…but it colors everything

Phicinfan

He isn't an insider, he is a realist. He has the simple faith that until you see shovels and walls going vertical any rumor is just puff pastry. A whole lot of bread full of hot air.

I get it, he has seen this kind of hope time and time again. Still, he is perhaps more glass is broken and leaking then half full ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom