Brother Bear opening same weekend as Matrix Revolutions

james4023464

Original Poster
Disney is making a big mistake this november putting there yearly animation release Brother Bear witch looks like a movie that has potential up against a movie series that the sequel made over 100 million on a 4 day weekend, and just think what the 3rd ones gonna make. So matrix is spelling disaster for disney i hope disney moves the date of Brother Bear somewhere else than Nov 7th, lets just pray. Because there are a lot of movies that just came out at the wrong time like the Lizzie Mcguire movie same day as X Men 2 i think Lizze could of made a little more money. O well

Quentin Disney

The release the same day as "Revolutions" might actually help the film more than harm it. That film is rated R, shutting out most people under 17. If Brother Bear is the only film out that will appeal to families at that time, then it could be successful.

A film doesn't have to be number one at the box office to make decent coin. Just my two cents.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Notice how fast The Matrix Reloaded fell this weekend. This means there is even less anticipation for The Matrix Revolutions then was originally thought. Brother Bear should still do well because of the family audience over that weekend. Note that The Matrix Revolutions opens on the 5th which is a Wednesday instead of the 7th, which Brother Bear opens on.

Kenan

I hope Brother Bear doesnt bomb...It looks like a really good movie. They showed a clip of it during the Disney Animation tour at the Studios.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
It's coming from the Florida Animation Studios which made Mulan and Lilo & Stitch, two of the few successful traditionally animated films from Disney in the past few years.

Goofster

I don't think the Matrix Revolutions is going to take up too much of Disney's intended audience, but still, November's a ways away, disney can switch the release date if they want.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Actually, it is pretty much set in stone because Disney has to have a release date for their animated films at least a year in advance because of promotions like McDonald's Happy Meals. If they change the date, the promotions are still set for that date because McDonalds can't change the promotion date as easily as changing the release of a film.

wdwmaniac

I think it will make out good if you look at Reload it made the most it's first day and then on dropped off pretty bad. So Brother Bear comes out 2 days after the hype and it looks good. I think it will make out good as long as Disney doesn't hide it away and they do a Nemo size ad camp.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions take place within a 24 hour period and they are actually one film. If you see the film, there is a cliffhanger ending. By the time the first sequel ends its run and goes to DVD, the second film opens in November. It is rarely done but it is not dangerous when the movies have been hyped this much.

trekkie

Goofster -- Is TP selling that well on DVD? My local Costco still has a bunch; and Costco is almost always the first to sell out of popular DVD's.

BRER STITCH

Brother Bear looks really cute.

They showed the preview before "NEMO" last night and all the little kids seemed to love it! My nieces are already asking me to take them!

That's a better prediction of success than any "experts" can offer!!!

:lol:

Goofster

Yeah, I thought the trailer in front of nemo was really great! It got people to laugh, had some more cool music by phil collins, and seemed like the movie had a lot of heart. And then with the two moose (or maybe meese) at the end talking about seeing one movie this year, well, I won't ruin it, but you can see it on the new brother bear teaser website. I love it when Disney spends a little more money to make the trailers extra special and use footage that wont be in the movie, like the Monsters, Inc trailer they showed in front of Harry Potter.

CTXRover

Brother Bear and Matrix are for two completely different audiences. I think it is safe to say BB won't be #1 that weekend, but Matrix won't pull in the family audiences that BB will. I went to see both Matrix 2 and Finding Nemo on their opening weekends, and it was extremely obvious how different the audiences were. For Matrix, it was mostly people in their late teens to early 30s without kids. For Finding Nemo, it was almost exclusively kids and their parents. Thus, there should be room for both movies. A bigger threat to Brother Bear would be other family-oriented movies that are released during that time. I don't know if there are, but I don't think Matrix will hurt BB too bad. In fact, it may be a smart move. Look how well Lizzie McGuire movie did against X-men..the two movies had very different audiences, and Lizzie's audience was even more limited than BB will be.

The only thing that Matrix will do to really harm BB is the media attention. Matrix will get it and BB may not.

One thing that sank Treasure Planet last year was the abundance of family movies available, including Harry Potter and even SC2 which did well during the Thanksgiving holiday because of the Christmas theme. With no HP this year, November is more open for family-oriented movies. :)

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Originally posted by BRER STITCH
Brother Bear looks really cute.

They showed the preview before "NEMO" last night and all the little kids seemed to love it! My nieces are already asking me to take them!

That's a better prediction of success than any "experts" can offer!!!

:lol:

We didn't get that trailer.

Though we might have. I missed a bit of the trailer because I went in to see the ending to The Matrix Reloaded at the end of the hall.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Originally posted by CTXRover
Brother Bear and Matrix are for two completely different audiences. I think it is safe to say BB won't be #1 that weekend, but Matrix won't pull in the family audiences that BB will. I went to see both Matrix 2 and Finding Nemo on their opening weekends, and it was extremely obvious how different the audiences were. For Matrix, it was mostly people in their late teens to early 30s without kids. For Finding Nemo, it was almost exclusively kids and their parents. Thus, there should be room for both movies. A bigger threat to Brother Bear would be other family-oriented movies that are released during that time. I don't know if there are, but I don't think Matrix will hurt BB too bad. In fact, it may be a smart move. Look how well Lizzie McGuire movie did against X-men..the two movies had very different audiences, and Lizzie's audience was even more limited than BB will be.

The only thing that Matrix will do to really harm BB is the media attention. Matrix will get it and BB may not.

One thing that sank Treasure Planet last year was the abundance of family movies available, including Harry Potter and even SC2 which did well during the Thanksgiving holiday because of the Christmas theme. With no HP this year, November is more open for family-oriented movies. :)

Lizzie McGuire is sort of a bad example. They placed it there for female audiences. The majority of the male audience was going to see X2 while the female audience was basically given nothing, so Disney moved the film to that date and it scored $17 million. Unfortunately the film has been dropping 50% or more since then each weekend.

Treasure Planet sank because they had a film geared toward teens and tweeners but they marketed toward little kids who really didn't want to see a space movie when they could go see Harry Potter again.

MrPromey

Originally posted by MickeyMoose15
Lizzie McGuire is sort of a bad example. They placed it there for female audiences. The majority of the male audience was going to see X2 while the female audience was basically given nothing, so Disney moved the film to that date and it scored $17 million. Unfortunately the film has been dropping 50% or more since then each weekend.

By Disney’s expectations, Lizzie McGuire has already been a great success. It was a small (budget) movie geared toward a narrow target audience. Movies like this aren’t intended to be “blockbusters” …

I mean, compare how much it has made in 5 weeks to what that other tween girl movie that came out 9 weeks ago has made so far. All things considered it has had a pretty good run so I wouldn’t put all that much emphasis on the “unfortunately”.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom