British Dad Fined For Taking Daughter To WDW

FettFan

As an educator, I'm just a tad bit divided on this issue, but I largely agree with the father.
If the child is a strong enough student that being gone for seven days won't interfere too much with her education (aka, she has good grades before the trip and is able to complete any missing assignments upon return), then there should be no problem in his taking her on vacation.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There certainly are a lot of pros and cons to this issue.

But I think the education system overplayed their hand by stating how much this is a burden on the teacher (who has to deal with constant absences all the time) and the child's study group (at that age there's a regimented plan for a study group? are they preparing them for Law school?). If the education system was serious about a child's academic progress not being interrupted, they would end lengthy summer breaks. That has been shown to cause big backsliding in academic progress.

But I find the amount of the fine to be ironic. It palls in comparison to the cost of a WDW vacation. UK parents can just regard that as a vacation surcharge. "Our darling Elizabeth will be missing a week of school as we vacation in Disney World. Please see my attached education vacation fee."

Disney4family

I've been an educator for 24 years. (Amazing since I'm only 29...)
24 years ago, nobody left school for vacations. Today's society is different. Parents will go on vacations whenever they want (or can) and for how ever long they want. Is education valued as much as it used to be? I can't answer that. I was told that since I'm a teacher, I can't be trusted.
Summer vacation, February break (up north), any break - will not go away. It would be devastating to camps and other organizations who survive and thrive on children and families having these vacations.

splashingatkali

During elementary school years, we went in May. I always asked my son's principal for permission. Which I was granted. I always asked teachers for school work. Sometimes he received and other times they just told us to enjoy the time off. We normally would go for 7 days.
Now our son in high school and things are stricter there, so he does not have the availability to take that many days at 1 time and he would be behind whereas in elementary school it was not an issue. We are not bothered by the rules of high school. Highschool years are very improtant so we now go in August for 10 days and still have a blast. LOL

MomofPrincessGrace

During elementary school years, we went in May. I always asked my son's principal for permission. Which I was granted. I always asked teachers for school work. Sometimes he received and other times they just told us to enjoy the time off. We normally would go for 7 days.
Now our son in high school and things are stricter there, so he does not have the availability to take that many days at 1 time and he would be behind whereas in elementary school it was not an issue. We are not bothered by the rules of high school. Highschool years are very improtant so we now go in August for 10 days and still have a blast. LOL

My daughter is in kindergarten this year and excels way beyond her peers in academics (4 years of preschool). Requested 5 days to be approved and they only granted 2. It was fine, she has only missed 2 half days and 1 full day due to illness this year, so she will end the year with 3 unexcused absences. I am assuming that the principal is only allowed grant 2 days because there was no explanation as to why only 2 instead of the full 5 were granted.

Patcheslee

Our school district will report absences to court and child services if 5+ unexcused absences are reported in a year. Gotta be sick, have dr. note to be excused.

matt clark

I love all the push back on these things from the school and then they have field day, teacher work days on random Wednesdays, take entire weeks off for some field trips, have days where they just throw a dvd in the player for the whole class at the end of the year. Give it a rest.

Disney.Mike

There are pros and cons. And I know this case is in regards to the British. However, when did we as Americans give our government the right to decide when and where we can take our kids.

When did we need to start asking permission to take our children on an out of state trip, regardless of the destination.

School systems have way to much unconstitutional power in this country and it will only get worse if people dont take a stand. I know there are alot of students that struggle, but realistically, a day or 2 of 1 on 1 time can makeup a week missed in a group setting.

Either way, I dont think a government agency (school district) should be able to dictate what parents do with their children.

MotherofaPrincessLover

It really should be a parent's decision on what is best for his or her child. I choose to take my daughter out of school because I know she can handle it academically. She is still young though, so I might have to make different decisions when she's older. Education is very important, don't get me wrong, but making memories with your family is also important.

mimitchi33

Wow! Other countries are so strict when it comes to taking kids out of school for vacations, which makes me proud to be American!

MomofPrincessGrace

Our school district will report absences to court and child services if 5+ unexcused absences are reported in a year. Gotta be sick, have dr. note to be excused.
In our school district (small Alabama town), they allow 8 unexcused before the principal call you into conference. Any absences after 12, excused or unexcused, your child is reviewed to see if they should be retained in their grade for the school year. They allow a parent note saying the child was sick to be considered excused, but a parent note in general is considered unexcused. Honestly, what would keep someone from pulling their kid out a couple of days a month (up until the 12th absence) and just writing a fake note saying the child was sick so it would be counted as an excuse. I think that the parents should be allowed to pull their child our for vacation without a hassle if an explanation was given why they would be out.

Pixie VaVoom

Back on the late '70s, when I was a freshman, I had a nasty recurring bronchitis during the snowy weather. I was ill for probably 5 weeks, I KNOW i missed 3 weeks of school, perforated my eardrum and had to go to the doctors office for 4 shots a day for 5 days. I probably should have been hospitalized.

My parents brought my work home, and when i returned to school I was actually AHEAD in several classes.

All this unexcused absence stuff is just government micromanagment B.S. !!! The Schools get dinged by the government if their statistics fall below a certain point.

21stamps

I've been an educator for 24 years. (Amazing since I'm only 29...)
24 years ago, nobody left school for vacations. Today's society is different. Parents will go on vacations whenever they want (or can) and for how ever long they want. Is education valued as much as it used to be? I can't answer that. I was told that since I'm a teacher, I can't be trusted.
Summer vacation, February break (up north), any break - will not go away. It would be devastating to camps and other organizations who survive and thrive on children and families having these vacations.

I missed 3-5 school days every year for a family winter or spring vacay, and I graduated high school in 1995. A lot of kids in my school did the same.

Disney4family

I remember my parents taking me out of school in elementary and middle school years. The teachers gave us material to work on both before, and after the trip. That was over 40 years ago...
I'm so glad you were able to have everything work out great in school and on vacation! That's wonderful.
I can only say the numbers of parents doing that back then was very, very small in the small area where I work. I'm sure it's different all over the country and world.

21stamps

I hope you had wonderful vacations!!!
I never experienced that with my students in the beginning of my career.
No right or wrong.
Just hopefully happy memories for you!

I did thanks! Our breaks were relatively short, so it was difficult to travel during one. Christmas would be the exception, but my mom refused to be away from our extended family over that holiday.lol

In my son's class- I'd say the majority of kids miss at least a few days for a vacay. When I was in school it was probably less than that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom