Bringing your own food to the food court!!

The Empress Lilly

Off-site hotels commonly have microwaves in the guest rooms themselves.

Only Disney charges $3000 a night for a motel then lets 4000 people stand in line to use one single microwave. But they get away with it because their audience has been conditioned to think that doing anything at Disney, such as using basic hotel amenities, comes with a $40 price tag (or with a swipe of the 'trick 'em into thinking they're not spending band').

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Utilizing CS Restaurants Space and Amenities
If you bring in food to the Magic Kingdom (as example), then no, you should not take up space at a CS restaurant that should be for paying customers. I would be (and have been) hot as hell if I saw people taking up space at Pecos Bill at 12pm on a Saturday (very busy time) eating homemade tuna sammiches while I'm walking around with my five kids trying to find a table to eat the food I spent $100 for AT Pecos Bills. That being said, if there is ample space for that first family to sit inside, by all means, please sit inside. But priority at busy times should be for people who have paid for food at that establishment. This is one reason we never eat at Casey's - there is never available seating inside, nor available seating outside (on either side of Main Street) because outdoor tables are being used by people who just want to sit and chill.
WDW in the dark ages (1994-20something), had deliberately removed benches and seating areas. To add endless carts and stalls, and in your example of the MK to add kiddie amenities such as stroller parking lots and playgrounds and spinners. But especially to force people to use restaurants to rest and relax - thus making them feel obliged to consume. Meanwhile the parks became overcrowded as a result of underinvestment. The result is the stressful, downright mean and sorry experience you describe of customers being pitted against one another.

The problem isn't a family bringing some sandwiches and looking for a place to rest and eat. They are perfectly entitled to do so. The problem is mismanagement by Disney as a consequence of needing (they don't to begin with) to squeeze out a few pennies more every quarter over last quarter.

Here is classic WDW. Places to sit, shaded, and with some fun free roaming fur characters to boot:

0fba147bca4704b20f4fd96e1cd66cb9--disneyland-vintage-disneyland-california.jpg

search

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Before people who bring food from home get all the tables, Disney will probably remove the microwave and toasters from the food courts at Value Resorts. Which would be a pity for I've even seen moms heating baby formulas in the microwaves. I'm not sure one can find toasters and microwaves at free range in moderate and deluxe resorts restaurants.

Heating up breast milk or baby formula counts as a medical necessity. They can request a microwave in the room. In the few times I traveled and did not have a microwave in the room for heating up breast milk or sanitizing pump parts (in a microwaveable bag) the hotel staff has been kind enough to use the microwave in their office/ break room.

JZwizard

Last time I was at Club Cool I saw a lady filling up the small taste cups and then pour them into a Coke bottle. Took her like 3 minutes to fill up, but it was quite funny to watch

weadopted4

We use the toasters for things we've bought in the cafeteria or pop tarts for picky kids. We've made oatmeal in the microwave. Not sure how that's wrong. On the rare occasion, my kids make toast, I ask a cast member if we can take a jelly or two. Usually I pack pb and jelly though from home.

Phonedave

Why not just a plain ol' toaster?

I am guessing legal reasons. A plain old toaster is meant for residential use, not a industrial or commerical use. When some clever person either burns themselves or electrocutes themselves on a plain old toaster, I doubt WDW's insurance carrier would pay.

Plus, I know at my house, toasters don't last all that long - a handfull of years - before something goes wrong with them (the innards are all thing gauge stamped metal). I am sure 3 years of toastng in my kitchen is equivalent to about a day of toasting in a WDW food court.

-dave

Phonedave

As far as I know, cream cheese is not a free condiment at WDW. I don't think peanut butter is either.

WDW does not have butter out as condiments - they have "Sun Glow" - now sure how the captured the glow of the sun, but there you have it.

For the record, when we order groceries for our room (which we do every trip) we order butter, cream cheese, and jelly. We also bring Spenda packets wtth us (we have them at home in bulk from a restatuant supply) However. we have at times forgot the Splenda, and when that happens, I have no qualms about grabbing a few packets. Same goes for salt and pepper. Somtimes I take 2 or 3 of those. I buy enough stuff in the QS areas where I don't use condiments that if I took the "condiment allottment" for things I bought, I still would not total the 5 packs of splenda and 3 packs of salt and pepper.

-dave

daisyduckie

We are one of those people. We bring our own food and on occasion use the condiments and toasters in the morning. You are talking pennies here, after spending the kind of inflated prices Disney charges for their parks, I don't see a problem using a dollar worth of some condiments during our entire stay. They will get my money someway.

So when you go to a store do you decide how much something is worth, and then steal it if you don't like the price? If you buy an overpriced top do you feel entitled to take a belt too?

Remember too that people used that excuse with refillable mugs, and Disney did make a change so that people were not stealing pennies from them. Stealing is stealing, no matter how you try and justify it.

drizgirl

So when you go to a store do you decide how much something is worth, and then steal it if you don't like the price? If you buy an overpriced top do you feel entitled to take a belt too?

Remember too that people used that excuse with refillable mugs, and Disney did make a change so that people were not stealing pennies from them. Stealing is stealing, no matter how you try and justify it.
Eh. Disney doesn't sell condiments. They do sell soda.

jaklgreen

On the flip side, as someone who works in food, I can tell you that it affects the employees when people just take what they want. Restaurants do add in to their pricing the cost of lemons for the iced tea, or same with jam for the toast, paper goods, etc. But only to a certain point since you can only raise the prices of your food so much before you loose business. So as an employee we hear about how our "costs are too high" and that there will be a freeze on wage increases until we get them "back in line". But then we see people come in and basically steal anything they can. Examples, grabbing a large to go cup for "free water" and then using a bunch of lemons in it instead of using the smaller cheaper cups we provide for water because they want the biggest one. Grabbing a huge stack of 20-30 napkins that they never use but just leave on the table, newsflash, we can not reuse those, they go straight into the trash. Also just blatant stealing, we have almost on a daily basis people that reach up and over the glass counter and take cookies. The funny thing is they act all innocent and say they thought they were free samples! What? We started to add some tissue boxes to the restrooms to be nice but the box was emptied by the end of the night because people just grabbed a bunch and filled their purse with them instead of taking if they actually needed them. So we had to stop because it was costing too much to replace tissue boxes every day. When you sell $7 sandwiches and .75 cent cookies, there is not a big profit margin that you can just give everything away for free. So we all need to be aware of what we actually use at restaurants and try not to waste things like napkins and condiments because the boss man is not taking the hit, the employees do.

John park hopper

Until Disney becomes a charitable non profit organization(not likely) increased operating costs for whatever reason are going to be passed onto the customers or their employees (less raises). Everything these days are computerized I'm sure the bean counters keep track of of everything including condiment usage so on the surface it may look free---- in the end I doubt it is

daisyduckie

Eh. Disney doesn't sell condiments. They do sell soda.

Yeah, but we all know what the intent is when things like butter and honey or whatever are put out. They are not so people can take them to make their own sandwiches. The point is, Disney does watch. And things like pop cups with tags or doing away with burgers that had 3 buns are a direct result of people thinking Disney didn't care what they did or took. And if Disney starts to think it is costing them too much money, it will all end up behind the counter and you will have to ask for condiments when buying a burger or butter when you want a piece of toast. It will become a hassle for everyone because so many guests think they are entitled.

S T

Does anyone realize how many guests are from other countries? They might not be used to our types of food, they might be Indian where cows are SACRED and they might not want to eat the fries because, well one example is when McDonald's revealed their french fries had beef flavoring in them. (They don't any more).
Anyways, WHOOOO CARES. Other people doing Disney their own way, bothers you and inconveniences you and makes you soooo upset...ooh they're sitting in your chairs....If you let people bother you like this on the reg, how are you like, still alive? HAHAHHAHAHAA. Ew to most of you....be happy....holey crap. But thanks for making me laugh at all, or most of you.
So called "rich," people barely come to Disney World....and when they do, you'll NEVER set eyes on them. They stay outside the parks at MUCH nicer hotels, like $4,000 a night hotels...."The Disney hotels are for peasants" says someone with more money than you or I...No don't bring in your frozen chicken nuggets into those places....FINE. The people eating in the "food courts" at the resorts are REGULAR people. Most people try to save....so they can buy other stuff at the stores (that they don't need) so they can leave with something tangible, not mediocre Disney cuisine in their bowels.

Last edited:

Prince-1

Does anyone realize how many guests are from other countries? They might not be used to our types of food, they might be Indian where cows are SACRED and they might not want to eat the fries because, well one example is when McDonald's revealed their french fries had beef flavoring in them. (They don't any more).
Anyways, WHOOOO CARES. Other people doing Disney their own way, bothers you and inconveniences you and makes you soooo upset...ooh they're sitting in your chairs....If you let people bother you like this on the reg, how are you like, still alive? HAHAHHAHAHAA. Ew to most of you....be happy....holey crap. But thanks for making me laugh at all, or most of you.
So called "rich," people barely come to Disney World....and when they do, you'll NEVER set eyes on them. They stay outside the parks at MUCH nicer hotels, like $4,000 a night hotels...."The Disney hotels are for peasants" says someone with more money than you or I...No don't bring in your frozen chicken nuggets into those places....FINE. The people eating in the "food courts" at the resorts are REGULAR people. Most people try to save....so they can buy other stuff at the stores (that they don't need) so they can leave with something tangible, not mediocre Disney cuisine in their bowels.

This post is a good example why people shouldn't do drugs.

S T

Haha gsam.
But really, putting people on blast for using Disney ketchup packets....or seating space or the toaster...that is all factored into the price of the park ticket or room stay anyway.

I don't need a chill pill, others here might though ! :happy:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom