BREAKING: Disney, Largest Union Reach Agreement

Alektronic

I think any union in a "right-to-work" state is by definition going to be very weak in comparision to unions who are allowed to work in "closed shops." I'm honestly not sure what the point is of even having a union when workers aren't required to join.

There is strength in numbers, if everyone was in the union, it would carry more weight. If you only have about 30% membership, then that union will be very weak.

JustInTime

Hmm, I did not know this. When you put it that way, I guess it is better to just be included with our paycheck.The problem is that the overwhelming majority of WDW maintenance has said mentality.

Yeah. It still kinda sucks. We actually kinda had a mini strike at work. The government taxes bonuses the same way it taxes the lottery or reality show winnings. It's pretty rotten. So our company came up with the solution to combine the checks. I see double dollars now. My 500 dollar bonus I would hardly see 200 of. I am glad you guys are getting more money. Disney employees deserve to get paid well. They provide such amazing customer service.

fosse76

That is not the way it works. If it is not included inside your paycheck, the government considers it a reward. And the reward tax is almost 45%. My workplace used to cut 2 checks. Now they combine them into one for our bonuses and such. And while it bumps me into a higher tax bracket, I get much, much more money. You are better off having it into your weekly pay. They did you a favor.

You get that money back after filing income taxes anyway, so it really doesn't matter. It's taxed at a higher rate to ensure that the appropriate amount is being taxed. Legally, you can tell them not to tax it at all, or to lower the tax withholding.

JustInTime

You get that money back after filing income taxes anyway, so it really doesn't matter. It's taxed at a higher rate to ensure that the appropriate amount is being taxed. Legally, you can tell them not to tax it at all, or to lower the tax withholding.

Yes. That is how taxes work.

juniorthomas

Hmm, I did not know this. When you put it that way, I guess it is better to just be included with our paycheck.The problem is that the overwhelming majority of WDW maintenance has said mentality.

Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with any of that in my visits... Except that one time.

googilycub

I think any union in a "right-to-work" state is by definition going to be very weak in comparision to unions who are allowed to work in "closed shops." I'm honestly not sure what the point is of even having a union when workers aren't required to join.

This is very true for the most part. My company has a large office in Jacksonville, and hired one person who would not join the union. He stood behind Florida's right to work policy, and lost his job over it...He was too busy challenging everybody about his "right" to not join a union that he failed see his job fell under the federal railway labor act which has specifiec wording about closed shop unions. Federal law trumps state law....:ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom