Breakdown At Test Track Leads To Guest Leaving Vehicle By Cutting Through Seat Belt

Incomudro

you mean, during the abnormal situations that are not supposed to happen (aka rides getting stuck?)
Being that is one of the possibilities (and not a tremendously remote one) that exists when one rides a ride, then "yes" if one has severe anxiety and know that they would be unlikely to be able to handle the situation of a stuck ride, then they should consider that before they decide to board.

G00fyDad

Being that is one of the possibilities (and not a tremendously remote one) that exists when one rides a ride, then "yes" if one has severe anxiety and know that they would be unlikely to be able to handle the situation of a stuck ride, then they should consider that before they decide to board.

I think that this discussion will go nowhere. Both sides have merit but will never see the other side's view rationally. On one side, yes, the person with anxiety should know that they have anxiety and should not put themselves in a position that may pose a danger to that issue. For example, I have a severe (some say irrational) fear that a train I am on will derail. Because of that I do not ride trains despite a huge desire to ride a train one day before I die. On the other hand a person with anxiety issues is still a person. Why shouldn't they be able to enjoy the same things that anyone else enjoys? Saying that they should just stay off the ride is a little insensitive. If I want a train ride one day then why shouldn't I be able to have that experience.

I see both sides of the issue here, but there is never going to be a common middle ground that everyone can agree on.

celluloid

That's as well said as it can be said G00fyDad.

Also, what gets me is the fact that a panic can put others at risk. For example, if someone leaps off a ride because they can't take it anymore, they may be putting others at risk. The next vehicle hitting a person either has people witnessing it or getting severely hurt. Why should me or my child/family member or anyone be hurt because someone else panicked? A seat-belt being replaced is perhaps a hassle but replaceable.

Everyone is human.

halltd

I'm not one to say NEVER as I don't believe NEVER allows for exceptions and sometimes exceptions will save your life.

monorail_fireTN.jpg
If you read the article, it says the CM on the monorail radioed to the passengers and told them to use the designated emergency exit in the train to go to the roof. My point is that there are processes and procedures for emergency egress of anything at Disney. Just hopping out of any type of vehicle on your own without any guidance from a CM knowledgeable of the procedures isn't a good idea.

Brad Bishop

If you read the article, it says the CM on the monorail radioed to the passengers and told them to use the designated emergency exit in the train to go to the roof. My point is that there are processes and procedures for emergency egress of anything at Disney. Just hopping out of any type of vehicle on your own without any guidance from a CM knowledgeable of the procedures isn't a good idea.

I was pretty careful in how I worded my initial statement. I didn't say, "Oh, the ride stopped. Let's just hop out! and go wading around Splash Mountain (or whatever)." I also didn't limit it to Disney. I also was careful with what I said in that you need to be aware of what's going on. You're not likely to die if you're on IaSW (DL) and hop out of the boat and walk along the sidewalk that lines the trough. It seems like a basic human function to be able to accomplish that task. I'm not suggesting that people shouldn't wait for the ride-ops to come over to each vehicle to unload them but, instead, if you were in that situation and you hadn't seen or heard from anyone in an hour plus that stepping out of a boat and onto, essentially, a stable dock should be a relatively easy task. This isn't cutting yourself out of a harness on a roller coaster while being upside down. This isn't wading down the track/trough to potentially be crushed by another boat. This is stepping out of a boat and onto a sidewalk and long after someone should have come around to get you.

To me it's like saying, "if the ride operator weren't there to unload the vehicle and lead us down the concrete paths to our destination then we all would have surely perished. Only he could keep us on the plainly marked path!"

There was a story in a thread not long ago about a guy who did hop out on Splash Mountain, for whatever reason got caught in the trough and crushed or trapped between two boats and died. That's one of the things that, in my head, is stupid to do: 1) hop out where there's not clear footing (you're stepping down several feet AND it's probably going to be very slippery on the bottom) 2) if you survive that, letting yourself get caught in the trough. Again, it's a bit like trying to cut yourself out of a harness while hanging upside down on a roller coaster. You do have to think it through and be smart about it and, again, the smart thing to do is to wait for the ride op to evac.

To just say "NEVER" and then to just accept that you'll sit there all day just seems too Lemming like to me.

Cesar R M

As they explained, the ride was stopped way longer than normal.
I do not think "long" stops with no evacuation are normal.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Well he did have a fast pass to use before it expired so I dont blame him. And who doesnt carry a chib to the parks. Have you read the thread about the er that assaults guests and the food n wine?

eddy21

Regardless of whether the original story is true, I'm sort of on the fence with this kind of stuff.

On the one hand, if the ride stops, I really do think that you should stay put and they'll come and help you and all that. That's normal, to me. It's SOP. It's safe and all that.

On the other hand, though, I think that sometimes common sense ought to outweigh "what does the rulebook say" depending on the situation.

Let's say I'm stuck on It's a Small World at Disneyland for 1+ hours (unlikely, I'll grant you). No announcements. No signs of moving people off the ride. That's the one where only the trough has water, as opposed to the entire building being flooded. All of the boats have caught up to you because it's been so long and you're not going to experience a sudden bump or anything. I'm thinking: Get out and walk on the concrete side walk that's *right there* and leave.

To me, it's dumb for the ride to stop and for people to try to immediately get out and leave. Still, it's dumb for people to sit there indefinitely with no word of what's going on just because there's a rule. At some point my brain says, "This is stupid. If it looks plain-jane obvious to get off of this ride, I'm going to do it." That means I've given operations ample time to make their announcements and show some progress and I'm aware enough to know that everything around me is mechanical and if things are still moving, I need to stay put (like boats still moving, animatronics, track gear, etc.).

I know this will go against the grain of a lot of people but I just don't think you need to sit somewhere indefinitely and never try to save yourself because: There's a rule and someone else will do it.
"Vehicles may begin motion at anytime" Try outrunning a test track car on the loop around the building. Also there's a about a 10" gap in the middle of the track to twist your leg in and I believe that ride is powered by 480V. Also when one person gets out others will follow

Last edited:

EOD K9

"Vehicles may begin motion at anytime" Try outrunning a test track car on the loop around the building. Also there's a about a 10" gap in the middle of the track to twist your leg in and I believe that ride is powered by 480V. Also when one person gets out others will follow
Pack mentality. <in a whispering Field of Dreams voice> If you egress, they will follow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom