Both parks in one day: looking for a bit of advice

DDuckFan130

Original Poster
Ok, so we're not even out on our 4th of July trip to WDW and I've already reserved Labor Day Weekend at Pop. What does this have to do with UO? Well, I've been promising my dad a day at UO because he really wants to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I decided to skip it on our 4th of July trip because of crowds and whatnot. But the deals for Pop were good for Labor Day weekend so we're going to take one of those days and head over to UO. The crowd calendars don't look bad at all.

Our plan is to definitely do both parks in one day. Before you say that it's going to be hard, I should explain that our highlights of both parks are rather limited LOL. I am going to list our "priorities" as far as either park is concerned. My question to the "experts" is in which order I should do this. I go to IOA all the time on school field trips but I haven't been to USF since 2009 and there's a lot of new additions since then. Anyway, any "touring" plan of attack is appreciated lol :)

IOA (closes at 8pm the day we go): Our main priorities are Spiderman and "Potterland."

USF (closes at 9pm the day we go): Transformers, Rip Ride Rockit, Mummy, Men in Black

As you can see, there's not a lot of things on our must-do list. We want to hit all these first before focusing on other stuff not listed or repeating rides lol

Thanks in advance!

mahnamahna101

I've done both parks in a day a few times before and it's not very difficult especially at that time of year!

Well if I were you, I'd do IOA first - start out with Marvel because everyone rushes to Potter at first - you'll be able to ride Spidey a couple times, and get a few rounds on Hulk and Doom within 25-30 minutes TOTAL. After that, I'd head over to Toon Lagoon and hop onto Popeye since they always open that one at 9:30 for some reason lol. Then be sure to ride Dudley! Really, both water rides are excellent and must dos if it isn't cold or raining.It should only be 10 or so once you finish here.

Next is Jurassic Park - this part of the park is usually empty until 11 or 12 so you should be able to have a short wait for JPRA... then unless you wanna see Camp Jurassic, I'd head on straight to Potter. FJ is a must! So the line won't be huge around then. maybe 30-60 minutes, but you can always do Single Rider if you want only a 5-10 minutes wait :) afterwards, I'd take a spin on each side of Dragon Challenge and by now it should be 11-11:30 so maybe stop by 3 Broomsticks for lunch - or Mythos in Lost Continent, which is superb Greek food!

Other than that... I'd say ride Cat in the Hat (Seuss Landing) - the most fun you'll ever have on a children's ride! Poseidon, Sinbad and the rest of Seuss aren't must dos though, so between 12-12:30, you ought to be on your way to USF!!

For USF, I'd do Despicable Me first because it's a fun new ride that you'll enjoy, then take a spin on the Rockit, afterwards head onto to Transformers- again, you can do single riders for a 5-15 minutes wait! Maybe check out the Transformer M&G if you love those bots. Then I'd say check out Twister which is a nice relaxing show IMO, then head over to Mummy which should only be a 15-35 minute wait around early September... single riders is available here too! Disaster is a fun attraction for first time riders plus Kong is replacing it in the next few years, so it might be your last chance to ride it! After Disaster, take a look at Diagon Alley, then head over to MIB which will probably have a long wait by now (it should be about 3-3:30 if you timed it right!), ride that then head over to Springfield for The Simpsons Ride, and maybe Kang and Kodos if you like spinners. It should be 4-4:30 so I'd eat dinner in the Fast Food Blvd food court, they've got everything! Try the Clogger, or Chicken and Waffles, with a Flaming Moe too!

After this, there's not too many must sees - except for E.T. of course! Take a blast to the past lol with that 80s redwood forest queue smell :) and head down to Hollywood for the Horror Make-Up Show! After this, it should be 6-ish so I'd do T2 3D and walk around the Lucille Ball exhibit. It should be 7 now, so if you want to re-ride anything, now's the time! But I'd stay until 9 because there's a Cinematic Spectacular nighttime show you don't wanna miss - after relaxing, head over to Duff Gardens around 8, buy a beer, and take a seat in the new special seating area just for the nighttime show!

Hope this game plan helps you!!!

JillC LI

Anyway, any "touring" plan of attack is appreciated lol :)

IOA (closes at 8pm the day we go): Our main priorities are Spiderman and "Potterland."

USF (closes at 9pm the day we go): Transformers, Rip Ride Rockit, Mummy, Men in Black

As you can see, there's not a lot of things on our must-do list. We want to hit all these first before focusing on other stuff not listed or repeating rides lol

Based on your list, I'd head to IoA first, specifically the WWOHP. If you want to see the wand show, then go to Ollivanders Wand Shop first because that line moves very slowly. Otherwise, head to FJ and then hit the rest of the rides and wander the stores of WWOHP while enjoying a butterbeer. I don't believe Dragon Challenge opens until later, so you can run over to Spiderman and maybe see some other stuff in IoA before coming back for Dragon Challenge if you want. From there, head over to USF. I'm not sure when your best time to hit Transformers is - perhaps first since the lines may be long, but I don't think there's any particular order in which you should hit the other 3 on your must-do list that would be preferable.

DDuckFan130

Original Poster
I've done both parks in a day a few times before and it's not very difficult especially at that time of year!

Well if I were you, I'd do IOA first - start out with Marvel because everyone rushes to Potter at first - you'll be able to ride Spidey a couple times, and get a few rounds on Hulk and Doom within 25-30 minutes TOTAL. After that, I'd head over to Toon Lagoon and hop onto Popeye since they always open that one at 9:30 for some reason lol. Then be sure to ride Dudley! Really, both water rides are excellent and must dos if it isn't cold or raining.It should only be 10 or so once you finish here.

Next is Jurassic Park - this part of the park is usually empty until 11 or 12 so you should be able to have a short wait for JPRA... then unless you wanna see Camp Jurassic, I'd head on straight to Potter. FJ is a must! So the line won't be huge around then. maybe 30-60 minutes, but you can always do Single Rider if you want only a 5-10 minutes wait :) afterwards, I'd take a spin on each side of Dragon Challenge and by now it should be 11-11:30 so maybe stop by 3 Broomsticks for lunch - or Mythos in Lost Continent, which is superb Greek food!

Other than that... I'd say ride Cat in the Hat (Seuss Landing) - the most fun you'll ever have on a children's ride! Poseidon, Sinbad and the rest of Seuss aren't must dos though, so between 12-12:30, you ought to be on your way to USF!!

For USF, I'd do Despicable Me first because it's a fun new ride that you'll enjoy, then take a spin on the Rockit, afterwards head onto to Transformers- again, you can do single riders for a 5-15 minutes wait! Maybe check out the Transformer M&G if you love those bots. Then I'd say check out Twister which is a nice relaxing show IMO, then head over to Mummy which should only be a 15-35 minute wait around early September... single riders is available here too! Disaster is a fun attraction for first time riders plus Kong is replacing it in the next few years, so it might be your last chance to ride it! After Disaster, take a look at Diagon Alley, then head over to MIB which will probably have a long wait by now (it should be about 3-3:30 if you timed it right!), ride that then head over to Springfield for The Simpsons Ride, and maybe Kang and Kodos if you like spinners. It should be 4-4:30 so I'd eat dinner in the Fast Food Blvd food court, they've got everything! Try the Clogger, or Chicken and Waffles, with a Flaming Moe too!

After this, there's not too many must sees - except for E.T. of course! Take a blast to the past lol with that 80s redwood forest queue smell :) and head down to Hollywood for the Horror Make-Up Show! After this, it should be 6-ish so I'd do T2 3D and walk around the Lucille Ball exhibit. It should be 7 now, so if you want to re-ride anything, now's the time! But I'd stay until 9 because there's a Cinematic Spectacular nighttime show you don't wanna miss - after relaxing, head over to Duff Gardens around 8, buy a beer, and take a seat in the new special seating area just for the nighttime show!

Thanks that is very helpful. I'm probably going to do half of what you said lol like I said our priorities are limited. I have to be really in a mood to do the water rides. I just did it on our 8th grade field trip with my students but I was armed with my crocs in my bag lol. This time around it really depends on whether my brother comes along or not. If it's just my parents I won't put them through the water rides or huge coasters. lol

DDuckFan130

Original Poster
Based on your list, I'd head to IoA first, specifically the WWOHP. If you want to see the wand show, then go to Ollivanders Wand Shop first because that line moves very slowly. Otherwise, head to FJ and then hit the rest of the rides and wander the stores of WWOHP while enjoying a butterbeer. I don't believe Dragon Challenge opens until later, so you can run over to Spiderman and maybe see some other stuff in IoA before coming back for Dragon Challenge if you want. From there, head over to USF. I'm not sure when your best time to hit Transformers is - perhaps first since the lines may be long, but I don't think there's any particular order in which you should hit the other 3 on your must-do list that would be preferable.

Thanks! It's funny, I keep reading that it's best to save WWoHP for either park opening or the end of the day because it's emptier and it's just nicer at the end of the day. On our previous field trip we have run to HP first. Unfortunately this was after 10am so we've waited an hour or so. Even so we get most everything we want to done.

DDuckFan130

Original Poster

BTW, I dunno if you read all of my OP, but I've been to IoA several times. You don't need to sell me the rides LOL :p but I appreciate it anyway.

mahnamahna101

Lol selling theme parks is fun! :p haha but if your parents don't like coasters or water rides, I would recommend Poseidon, Sinbad, Beetlejuice, and Animal Actors - maybe the Seuss Trolley if you're good on time

JillC LI

Thanks! It's funny, I keep reading that it's best to save WWoHP for either park opening or the end of the day because it's emptier and it's just nicer at the end of the day. On our previous field trip we have run to HP first. Unfortunately this was after 10am so we've waited an hour or so. Even so we get most everything we want to done.

Yeah, 10am is already not "first thing in the morning." Since you won't be staying on property, you won't get the one hour early entry, but if you plan to hit WWOHP first, then I'd be there before the park opens to the public. Give yourself sufficient time to drive there from Pop and park (or to get a taxi), and walk over to the park entrance before it opens so you can be amongst the first General Public guests. If you plan to do WWOHP in the evening, then I'd hit Transformers first due to its newness and popularity.

DDuckFan130

Original Poster
Bump LOL

Sorry, but I figure why start a new thread when I can ask here:

Ok, so I found a great touring plan on Orlando Informer which I may use, but I have another question. I may know the answer, but just in case.

My dad and I will most definitely ride Forbidden Journey, but my mom cannot and will not lol. Can she go through the castle with us, bags and all, and we just let someone know she won't be riding at the beginning and end? I don't want her alone and I'm sure she wants to see Hogwarts since she saw the movies and enjoyed them.

And one addition to the question: she may or may not need a wheelchair for the day depending on how she's feeling. Will that be an issue? I could swear I've seen wheelchairs going through the regular lines with no problem.

Thanks (again) :)

RTeker

Ok well yes she can choose not to ride and they will take her to the child swap area I bet. And yes wheelchairs have been pushed through lines as well.

TheMackMachine

I would get to the parks around park opening. 8:50 to play it safe. I would start off with the Wizarding World if that is your top priority. Then do the rest of your IOA priorities. After that, enjoy the park. Go on a water ride, explore the islands, buy some merch. Around 2:00, 3:00, or whenever you and your family are ready, go to USF and do Rockit and Transformers first. If you don't want to wait in a two hour queue, which is really an approximation, definitely do single riders. Beware of Rockit's single riders line. Last time I was there, it took me 30 minutes to get on using single rider. After that, Mummy shouldn't be a very long wait (unless the park is really busy), and enjoy the queue for MIB. If you only want to do the rides that you have said on your first post, you should do them all with no problems within one day. If you are going to add more rides, take our fellow members' advice. mahnamahna101 has a good idea of what you should do.

And one more thing, I recommend the night time show if your family is willing to stay all day at the UOR.

Have fun!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom