Boomer looks like a caceled trip for us

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
My summary: Compare all the discount options for the time period you are going. Sometimes, free dining would be the best deal, sometimes not. A big variable is the number of kids in the group since the dining plan is cheap for them and they may cause you to get more than one room which makes a room discount more palatable. My advice - check out mousesavers, look at offsite hotel options, and checking out renting DVC points from reputable owners like me if you have time. The dining discount is a nice discount though. Nothing wrong with it.

bethymouse

I found that any "discount" is good. It's not really "free" dining, but it is a "discount". I have priced the full packages at regular rates vs. discounted rates and there is a difference. When you book, you must click on the "special". So I do both to compare the savings.
Hang in there for a while! I'm sure some discount will be offered.;)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I found that any "discount" is good. It's not really "free" dining, but it is a "discount". I have priced the full packages at regular rates vs. discounted rates and there is a difference. When you book, you must click on the "special". So I do both to compare the savings.
Hang in there for a while! I'm sure some discount will be offered.;)

Yep. Paying full price for the whole package (however you organize it) is the mistake.

draybook

Well, that's not a bad idea. It's kind of what we did on our first trip in September of 2008. Free Dining was available, but I didn't do my homework, so I didn't even get that far in the planning. We stayed off site and we brought snacks in the car. The only park in which it was a hassle was the MK, having to go back to the car. If it boils down to it we'll do it again though. The only reason we stay on-site is for the Free Dining and EMH. Without FD, the EMh aren't worth the extra money to us.

AndyS2992

I hate to say this, but it looks like we might have to cancel our trip in October. :( we have waited for the free dining to be released and I really believe it's a no go this year. I have heard to give it a little longer to see, but by now I feel it would have been released. Yes we c an not afford disney without it as sad as I am to say this. We are a single Income family while im in school. :( I guess maybe next year when I am out of school and working.

Lots of ways around this. Eat one meal at day at lower budget quick service restaurants like we do every trip. Or go to/order cheap groceries and snacks from a supermarket and live off those rather than eating at restaurants every day. Or just stay off site. Also only buy one souvenir each. Don't buy into photopass, ride photos or any other paid for extra which is not necessary. You'll save a lot of money this way.

tink33

I would share QS meals. My family does it and we had a bunch of meals leftover at the end of our trip. We had food for the ride home. Have you looked into not getting a package and buying the tickets and room separately?

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
The free dining debate has been raging for years, and I'm sure it will continue. For what it's worth, I'm a bit of a math nerd so I love running the numbers for each trip just to see what's cheaper, but if you like the DDP for it's convenience then it can be worth it. As others have said, though, just comparing the cost of the DP vs the room discount isn't doing "all" the math. Whether or not you can eat during your trip for cheaper than the DP's cost is also a factor.

For anyone interested in doing the math (without having to do most of the work) you should check out the calculator on http://seeyareelsoon.wix.com/seeyareelsoon#!calculator-download/c16yz

That spreadsheet is crazy detailed and lets you figure out if the DP is a "value" for your particular trip.

Alison1975

Yeah, the $50 a night saved won't be better than the $1500 dining plan that we would be getting for free, because we use every single credit. Now of course we wouldn't eat that much if it was coming out of pocket, but not eating at WDW in that heat is not something we want to do again.

Thats us.. 8,7 and now 5 people with free dining.. once at POP(2 rooms) and upgraded ,once at POFQ ( 2 rooms) and now one room at POR and free dining with the amount of people we have will always win over a room discount..

draybook

The free dining debate has been raging for years, and I'm sure it will continue. For what it's worth, I'm a bit of a math nerd so I love running the numbers for each trip just to see what's cheaper, but if you like the DDP for it's convenience then it can be worth it. As others have said, though, just comparing the cost of the DP vs the room discount isn't doing "all" the math. Whether or not you can eat during your trip for cheaper than the DP's cost is also a factor.

For anyone interested in doing the math (without having to do most of the work) you should check out the calculator on http://seeyareelsoon.wix.com/seeyareelsoon#!calculator-download/c16yz

That spreadsheet is crazy detailed and lets you figure out if the DP is a "value" for your particular trip.

Thank you so much! I've been waiting for someone to actually provide factual, and physical proof or at least the means of actually figuring it out. We can all sit here talking about this and that, but the ability to actually work the math out on a spreadsheet or other means is invaluable. Kudos to you sir!

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
Thank you so much! I've been waiting for someone to actually provide factual, and physical proof or at least the means of actually figuring it out. We can all sit here talking about this and that, but the ability to actually work the math out on a spreadsheet or other means is invaluable. Kudos to you sir!
Just to be clear - I didn't create that monster spreadsheet, but wow! :eek: Somebody needs to give that guy a medal for doing all that work!

draybook

Yeah, it really is an art of work. I hate working with Excel and other related tools, but man this guy or gal went completely beast on it!!

tink33

I used this spreadsheet to see if the QS dining plan was worth it. We save a bunch of money by not getting the plan. I plugged in the info with each of getting the 2 meals and a snack each day, and paying for Donald's breakfast out of pocket.

HouCuseChickie

Thank you so much for posting this. I do a similar calculation on my own, but I'm really curious to see how my numbers pan out on here vs. what I normally do.

luv

So what you're trying to sell me on is that if I book a package at a cost of say $4300 with the Dining plan added on that if I get the Free DDP that Disney actually changes my room rates to adjust for this??? LOL I call BS. :rolleyes:
I'm not trying to sell you on anything. I apologize if you thought I was. It is 100% none of my business what anyone does with their money and I make no profit, nor do I take a loss based on what anyone does.

I have no personal interest at all.

I was simply explaining - well, I thought I was explaining - to someone else how Disney gives away the proverbial free lunch. As it turns out, I was being lead into some kind of argument, which I want no part of.

I'm sorry I got into it all.

Please continue without me...and, again, my apologies.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yes, Confucius, we know that nothing is truly "free" with Disney. The point has been made that the room discount still isn't worth as much as Free Dining is in our situation. I understand that you just like to flap your gums to people on this board, but could you at least acknowledge the topic?
You always seem to take exception to what I say... just put me on ignore since I always seem to strike a nerve with you.

draybook

I'm not trying to sell you on anything. I apologize if you thought I was. It is 100% none of my business what anyone does with their money and I make no profit, nor do I take a loss based on what anyone does.

I have no personal interest at all.

I was simply explaining - well, I thought I was explaining - to someone else how Disney gives away the proverbial free lunch. As it turns out, I was being lead into some kind of argument, which I want no part of.

I'm sorry I got into it all.

Please continue without me...and, again, my apologies.

No harm, no foul. I know you're just trying to give good advice. I didn't mean to come off as abrasive.

You always seem to take exception to what I say... just put me on ignore since I always seem to strike a nerve with you.

I'm hardly the only one that feels that way about you. I don't believe in using the ignore button, it's a cop-out to me. Besides, one day you might surprise me and say something that I agree with...... :D

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I'm hardly the only one that feels that way about you. I don't believe in using the ignore button, it's a cop-out to me. Besides, one day you might surprise me and say something that I agree with...... :D
I can count two people that always take exception to me ...you and goofydad.

You both seem to take too much joy in taking away my joy of this forum.

FettFan

If you're willing, you can save a ton of money by staying offsite.

Yep. Typically my family goes to the Royal Parc Suites/Quality Suites Maingate East. We get two connecting suites (six to a suite) about $1200 for five days.

Compare to one of the Value Resorts...All Star Music for one, where two suites for five days comes to over $2300.

The only downside to staying offsite is that transportation to the parks isn't readily available. RPS only goes to Epcot and their hours are sketchy. Which means I either need to drive myself to Florida or rent a car in Orlando because when it comes to family, majority rules.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom