Bonnet Creek Resort??

NoBody

Account Suspended
The Real Deal!

Originally posted by rmforney
If I've heard correctly, back in the late 70's/early 80's, when WDW was looking to expand, but the Walt Disney Company was close to being bought out, WDW made a deal with Shariton(?) Hotels to operate 2 hotels on the property, therfore saving WDW the overhead(whew, good run-on sentence). This would still put guests close to the parks. Flash forward, Disney was saved by the Bass Brothers; Eisner/Wells were brought in; Roy Disney came back to the company; etc. but the contract was still there, now controled by a group that split off from the Shariton(?) Hotel parent company.
Long story short, They built the new hotels, without worrying about "proper placement" on the property. This is part of the reason you loose the forced perspective of the Eifle Tower in France at EPCOT. With the Swan/Dolphin in the way, you can really tell that its not far off and full sized.....

Before Eisner became CEO of Disney back in 1984, Ray Watson ran the Disney company. The Tishman Construction Company built most of EPCOT and as part of that deal, Tishman was given the right to build multiple hotels on WDW property. Fortunately, Eisner was able to limit the deal so that only 2 hotels were built (Swan and Dolphin). Contrary to your post, Eisner also got full creative control and Micheal Graves did all the design work.

TravisMT81

I really wish it was a different timeshare company, I think Fairfield is the most sleaziest seller of timeshares. Marriott or Starwood would be much better.

TheOneVader

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi
That sign has been up for about a year now. It's just past the CBR main entrance, right before the Bonnet Creek construction entrance. (currently, they are converting the Construction entrance to a main entrance)

A year!!! I never saw it before. I guess I just never noticed.

Invero

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
If Disney owns the hotels, why are they not operating them? Just doesn't make any sense.

Operating Participants make up a large portion of Walt Disney World... but guests really don't usually realize that. There are a lot of shops, vendors, and whatnot that are not Disney...

niteobsrvr

One good reason why Disney is not operating the Swan and Dolphin probalby has to do with fact that they DO NOT OWN them.

They are ownd by the Tishman Hotel Coporation ( click on the link to check it out). I can't say for sure but it is possible that Disney owns the land on which they sit and has a lease agreement with Tishman. Lease agreements of this kind are not uncommon in the commercial property world.

It is up to Tishman to decide who gets to operate them and if you check out the website, you will see they have a pretty good relationship with Starwood Hotels that we all more commonly know as Sheraton, Westin, W, and Four Points among others.

isnet396

Originally posted by rmforney
If I've heard correctly, back in the late 70's/early 80's, when WDW was looking to expand, but the Walt Disney Company was close to being bought out, WDW made a deal with Shariton(?)

Actually, its with Hilton ;)

Ian

wahooskipper

When the Swan and Dolphin were built, Disney wasn't completely convinced it wanted to be head deep in the hotel business. Thus, the non-ownership. You will notice that since those two hotels were built no other hotel has been built on property that wasn't owned by Disney.

I think this is like Tokyo Disney. If they had to do it over, they would own those hotels too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom