Bonnet Creek Resort??

CaptainCrunchy

Original Poster
We were at WDW last week staying at Carribean Beach Resort. Directly adjacent to the resort (to the East), crews were clearing land. The sign at the entrance to the construction site read "Bonnet Creek Resort Construction Entrance." Does anyone have any further information about this?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Im only guessing but I think I read some where that they are expanding the Vacation Club properties, by taking over the Institute and building extra places. It may be something to do with that.

Terp02

I think there was a thread on this a while ago...... If I remember correctly, this is land that Disney does NOT own and a private company is building on it. Yes I know this sounds odd that disney doesn't own a small piece of property in the middle of their resort, but it's some legal thing. All I know is that if Disney doesn't want the resort to stay they'll make them pay a lot of money to get Disney busing and be able to access the same things the normal buses do, as well as have the same access as on property guests. I have a feeling this will not be a cheap resort; cheaper then most of the Disney resorts on property? probably, but I have a feeling that after a couple of years being there, this resort will have prices skyrocket do to either a large amount of people wanting to stay there because it's "on property" or because Disney will make them pay for being there.

Then again I have no clue what will happen and that's just my opinion.

Invero

Originally posted by Terp02
I think there was a thread on this a while ago...... If I remember correctly, this is land that Disney does NOT own and a private company is building on it. Yes I know this sounds odd that disney doesn't own a small piece of property in the middle of their resort, but it's some legal thing

There are actually quite a few little spots around property that Walt Disney was unable to aquire back in the 60's. One spot is located where part of Epcot is. The family that owns that peice of land wouldn't sell it to Disney when they wanted to build Epcot, but they did allow Disney to build on it and use it. I'm not quite sure of the terms though.

Another peice of land is where Victory Way is now. That's the little road that connects Osceola Parkway with Buena Vista Drive... right where Pop Century and Caribbean Beach is. There used to be a man who had a house right there, and Disney wanted to build Victory Way. They offered him lots of money and whatnot, but he refused to sell. I could be mistaken on the details, but I beleive part of the terms they settled upon was that Disney would pay off his mortgage, and pay all his bills for life, on the condition that when he died, he'd leave Disney the land. Wouldn't you know, he lived to be into his late 90's... lol... At any rate, once he passed away, and Disney got the land, they built Victory Way.

And yes, that Bonnet Creek Resort area is also one of those chunks of land that Disney was unable to aquire, even throughout the years. My thoughts are that Disney is going to treat them just like Hotel Plaza Blvd. Not true "Disney Resort Guests", but still extend out a few privledges and whatnot.

As for transportation... I have a feeling it will be handled in the same way as Hotel Plaza... and that's up in the air. As it stands now, Hotel Plaza Blvd currently uses an outside transportation company, but rumor flying around is that Disney Transport is going to take over that contract again. (Hence all the new load zones at the parks) This would be a huge benefit to those guests staying there, as thier current bus service is horrible, and infrequent. (This is also part of the reason why the DTD<->TTC bus route was eliminated. A lot of Hotel Plaza guests would take the TTC->DTD bus to the Marketplace and walk back to thier hotel because it was quicker and easier than waiting for thier bus.

SykedOwt

Originally posted by Terp02
I think there was a thread on this a while ago...... If I remember correctly, this is land that Disney does NOT own and a private company is building on it. Yes I know this sounds odd that disney doesn't own a small piece of property in the middle of their resort, but it's some legal thing.

Yes, There Was a Thread on This a While Back.

DonickCo

Attachments

• 0nondisney.jpg
    0nondisney.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 512

CDavid

I'm a bit confused at what I'm looking at in the above image. I can make out CBR and part of the studios parking lot, but what exactly is that outlined in green?

As for the non-Disney development, a "off-site" resort that's actually located "on-site" (within WDW's borders) could potentially prove some tough competition for nearby Pop Century, particularly if it had decent bus transportation to the parks. Since PC is a value property, this new development could (again, potentially) go for about the same price as PC whilst offering more amenities than a WDW value resort does.

Invero

Originally posted by CDavid
I'm a bit confused at what I'm looking at in the above image. I can make out CBR and part of the studios parking lot, but what exactly is that outlined in green?

It looks to me as if the Green is Pop Century... at least, the beginnings of it... (dont know the date of the photo)

JPVonDrake

Just curious, but even if Disney doesn't own the land where this resort is going, it wouldn't the land owners still need to get their building permits from the Reedy Creek Improvement District due to the location of this land? Since Disney controls this governing body, couldn't Disney either refuse building permits or at least make things difficult by restrict the height or other aspects of the resort?

:confused:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Originally posted by JPVonDrake
Just curious, but even if Disney doesn't own the land where this resort is going, it wouldn't the land owners still need to get their building permits from the Reedy Creek Improvement District due to the location of this land? Since Disney controls this governing body, couldn't Disney either refuse building permits or at least make things difficult by restrict the height or other aspects of the resort?

Not necessarily. If it's not on Disney property, it's governed by Orange County, thus Disney has no say

Fossil

It kills me to see that some of the resorts next to one of the entrances to WDW, are not Disney owned!!! I think that everything that is on Disney property should be a Disney idea. I think Disney should do away with everything that's not Disney related on their property!

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Originally posted by Fossil
It kills me to see that some of the resorts next to one of the entrances to WDW, are not Disney owned!!! I think that everything that is on Disney property should be a Disney idea. I think Disney should do away with everything that's not Disney related on their property!

here's the thing... it's not Disney property, so the owners can do what they want. If they wanted to open up a Strip Joint and all you can eat buffet, Disney would have NO say, since it's not Disney Property.

As for doing away with EVERYTHING not Disney related.. I hope you're exaggerating, because WDW would cease to exist if it weren't for non-Disney companies in Orlando.

DonickCo

Originally posted by mktiggerman

here's the thing... it's not Disney property, so the owners can do what they want. If they wanted to open up a Strip Joint and all you can eat buffet, Disney would have NO say, since it's not Disney Property.

As for doing away with EVERYTHING not Disney related.. I hope you're exaggerating, because WDW would cease to exist if it weren't for non-Disney companies in Orlando.

if they tryed to do something like that i think disney will make things really hard on them.

-DonickCo

Bdis86

Account Suspended
Oh, Disney would exist alright. Disney has all the rights they need, even to build a power plant and an airport. :)

WEDMagic

That land does indeed fall into Reedy creeks district, Reedy creek was established for a certain area not just Disney owned land. That land is in that area. I checked it out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom