Body Wars back on disneyworld.com

Testtrack321

mayoki said:
It didn't help you had to go on a safari to find it, to me it had "afterthought" written all over it. I liked it, but I don't think it had sustainability for repeat visits.

I agree, this is probably one of the HUGE reasons, the fact that it was so far back and very little can be seen from the "main" walk (the path out of Innoventions). M:S, TT, and UoE all are easily seen and found, WoL was more dificult.

kaos

Testtrack321 said:
I agree, this is probably one of the HUGE reasons, the fact that it was so far back and very little can be seen from the "main" walk (the path out of Innoventions). M:S, TT, and UoE all are easily seen and found, WoL was more dificult.

That and it just plain out sucked.

CThaddeus

kaos said:
That and it just plain out sucked.

Great. Thanks. We got that. You're very clever. Personally, I feel Disney puts too much responsibility on the sponsors to keep the pavilions and countries in EPCOT going. If they had simply spruced up the place while Metlife was still there, and made it easier to see from the walkway, it might have gotten better attendance. Again, some of us liked many of the aspects of this pavilion. Things could have been updated and changed here and there, but the general idea was a good one, and one of the disappearing breed of EPCOT attraction that teaches while it entertains. I'm sorry you couldn't see anything good about it. Your loss. Actually, it's all of our loss.

jmvd20

CThaddeus said:
Personally, I feel Disney puts too much responsibility on the sponsors to keep the pavilions and countries in EPCOT going.

I completely agree, they should be able to maintain the attractions themselves sponsor or no sponsor. I find it ridiculous that they let the Epcot rides go into major disrepair when the are sponsorless. Its a bad show and really does take some of the "magic" away - at least IMO.

AEfx

The reason WoL never took off was because it was overly preachy and when people are on vacation they don't want to learn about nutrition or...ew...how their parents concieved them. If you don't already know about s e x, then WDW isn't the place to introduce that topic.

I know the little shows in there (notably Cranium Command) had their fans, but to the average WDW visitor the place had the charm of a doctor's office.

I'll be happy the day they demolish it and build something new and fun. I didn't like it when it opened, and I have no love loss for it now.

AEfx

wannab@dis

CThaddeus said:
Great. Thanks. We got that. You're very clever. Personally, I feel Disney puts too much responsibility on the sponsors to keep the pavilions and countries in EPCOT going. If they had simply spruced up the place while Metlife was still there, and made it easier to see from the walkway, it might have gotten better attendance. Again, some of us liked many of the aspects of this pavilion. Things could have been updated and changed here and there, but the general idea was a good one, and one of the disappearing breed of EPCOT attraction that teaches while it entertains. I'm sorry you couldn't see anything good about it. Your loss. Actually, it's all of our loss.
Actually... it's our gain.

While kaos may need a little more tact, it's not hard to imagine that most guest feel the same way. Otherwise, there would have been a crowd. Word of mouth alone would send people looking for the pavilion. (Although, I don't think the rationalization of it being 'hidden' is very accurate as a reason for demise.)

The pavilion lacked any real draw. The included attractions paled in comparison with most attractions and even Body Wars lacked ability to pull in an interest.

If the attraction had been a blockbuster, WDW would have continued to 'spruce it up' since it would be worthy of investment. However, the lack of guest interest pushed it to the bottom of priorities.

Now... back to the original thought. Our gain will be when it's bulldozed and something new added in its place. :D

CThaddeus

AEfx said:
The reason WoL never took off was because it was overly preachy and when people are on vacation they don't want to learn about nutrition or...ew...how their parents concieved them. If you don't already know about s e x, then WDW isn't the place to introduce that topic.

I know the little shows in there (notably Cranium Command) had their fans, but to the average WDW visitor the place had the charm of a doctor's office.

I'll be happy the day they demolish it and build something new and fun. I didn't like it when it opened, and I have no love loss for it now.

AEfx

This describes almost everything in Future World, by your reasoning. Spaceship Earth is being preachy and teaching about human communication, The Living Seas is being preachy and teaching about saving our oceans and the marine life in it, The Land is being preachy and teaching about growing techniques and saving the environment, Journey Into Imagination was once preachy and teaching about what you could achieve if you used your imagination, Universe of Energy is/was preachy and teaches about forms of energy, Horizons was preachy and taught about what the future might hold, and World of Motion was preachy and taught about the history and future of transportation. Maybe this is why rides like Test Track are so popular - no education, no looking toward the future...just an out-and-out ride that jerks you around and goes really fast (for about 30 seconds).
EPCOT is supposed to be about education and entertainment, or at least that appeared to be its original goal when it was first opened. I felt Wonders of Life was true to this goal, and succeeded in most of the areas. I agree that it was not a total success - Anacomical Players and Body Wars weren't all that great in my opinion, but Cranium Command, The Making of Me, and Goofy About Health, while considered "little shows" by some, had a great amount of heart and humor. I will miss them. They were EPCOT. Now, I guess I'm stuck with Epcot. At least there's still Spaceship Earth...

EpcotMark

Well Said Thank You!

CThaddeus said:
EPCOT is supposed to be about education and entertainment, or at least that appeared to be its original goal when it was first opened. I felt Wonders of Life was true to this goal, and succeeded in most of the areas. I agree that it was not a total success - Anacomical Players and Body Wars weren't all that great in my opinion, but Cranium Command, The Making of Me, and Goofy About Health, while considered "little shows" by some, had a great amount of heart and humor. I will miss them. They were EPCOT. Now, I guess I'm stuck with Epcot. At least there's still Spaceship Earth...

Well Said:) Thank You!

freediverdude

I loved Cranium Command! The movie part of it was getting a bit dated, with the 80s type dress, and actors who were popular in the 80s, but that could have been updated I think. That was a great show though. Maybe just update the movie part that showed in the "eyes" of the stage, and update the decor of the theater, and it would still be fine.

And Body Wars is great, and still is. I still love (or would still love if it was open) walking through those areas in the queue where you get "decontaminated" with the lights going back and forth, and the movie here could either be left as is, or remade with new actors- either way, I think the movie in this one wasn't quite as "dated" as the Cranium Command movie.

This pavilion was always a great place to spend a couple of hours during the hottest part of the afternoon, when it was miserable to be outside. I could go in there, catch a few shows, eat a late lunch there at that nice healthy counter service place, and then by the time I went back out into the heat it was more like late afternoon and more tolerable.

I think they should just do a major refurb of all the carpeting, painting, ceiling tiles, update the shows somewhat, and maybe add another attraction in there like the way they added Soarin' to the Land pavilion. WoL would really be a hoppin' pavilion then! The building's outside is really a spectacular-looking pavilion, if you look past the trees almost covering it, with all the gold (sure it's not real gold, but whatever metal that is) on the outside. Just spruce it up a bit. :)

WhyteAL

coastermaster83 said:
I wonder what pal mickey would have to say about this attraction. PAL MICKEY "Wonders of life, well thats a tough one kids, urm um eh... wonders of life used to be open but then it closed and then it opened and ah idk anything about it cus disney cant make up there mind and tell me something to say about it that makes any logical sense."

Can pal mickey be hacked? because I would like to here it say , that right there would make my year very magical! LOL:lol:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Pal Mickey can only say what's been programmed to say, and it's tirggered by the infared pulses. I know people who figured out to trigger him, but short of repogramming him (an thus coming up with your own recording of what he needs to say) you can't make him do that.

kaos

WhyteAL said:
Can pal mickey be hacked? because I would like to here it say , that right there would make my year very magical! LOL:lol:

Could he be reprogrammed to say that "this pavilion sucks"?

wdwishes2005

Kadee said:
I remember a post in a recent thread by someone who just got a job with Disney at Epcot. He said that WOL WILL be opening again for the summer. I think he was told he may be working there. I'll have to see if I can find that post. I forget exactly which thread it is in.
Could it possibly be he needs to be trained on it for when they do corporate things there?

Life is wonder-filled when you enter the gigantic geodesic dome to discover the E-Ticket thrills of Body Wars, the laughs of Cranium Command and the miracles of The Making of Me. Put your hands on interactive fun at the Coaches Corner, Sensory Funhouse and more. (open seasonally)
:lol: Maybe for a caveman.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom