News Bobby Mouse needs his cut.. (Price Increase)

Ismael Flores

most of knotts Berry Farm parking is also dirt, the last time i went was after some rain and its not fun. saw people getting their ars stuck in mud and having to get out and push while the workers stared at them lol

mickEblu

Doing some basic math here, if someone only visits on Saturdays:

1 Day Cost Peak: $149
1 Day Cost Regular: $129
Average: $139
Parking: $25
---------------
Daily Cost: $164

Signature
Cost: $1149
Break Even = 7 Visits

Signature (w/MaxPass)
Cost: $1249
Break Even = 8 Visits

Signature Plus
Cost: $1399
Break Even = 9 Visits

So if someone goes on Saturdays and plans on visiting one more time than the break even number for their pass, they would be better off buying a pass than tickets.

Personally I'd rather just visit 2 or 3 times a year at this point.

Yup. That’s exactly where I’m at. But for me it’s even more simple. To really enjoy myself at Disneyland I need to get there early and spend an entire day there to make it worth the hassle of traffic and make the most of my day when you consider crowds, rides/ FPs and just a good flow. The desire/ ability to do this with a 3 year old is not there more than 1-2 times a year.

I’ve gone back and forth from So Cal APs to Premium/ Signature and I noticed I went a lot more often as a Signature because I subconsciously felt the need to get my money’s worth. But all that meant was more frequent trips that were less fun. Not because of it getting old... which is also a factor but primarily because the types of abbreviated less desirable trips that became the norm.

Curious Constance

Yup. That’s exactly where I’m at. But for me it’s even more simple. To really enjoy myself at Disneyland I need to get there early and spend an entire day there to make it worth the hassle of traffic and make the most of my day when you consider crowds, rides/ FPs and just a good flow. The desire/ ability to do this with a 3 year old is not there more than 1-2 times a year.

I’ve gone back and forth from So Cal APs to Premium/ Signature and I noticed I went a lot more often as a Signature because I subconsciously felt the need to get my money’s worth. But all that meant was more frequent trips that were less fun. Not because of it getting old... which is also a factor but primarily because the types of abbreviated less desirable trips that became the norm.

Awwww, little mickEblu turned 3?

Darkbeer1

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/01/...-sixfold-since-1990-hows-that-inflation-rate/

>>Disneyland’s magical pricing power has raised its basic ticket price nearly six-fold over three decades.

The new $149-a-day price is up from $25.50 in 1990, equal to 6.5 percent annualized growth. Now the Anaheim theme park has done much work to earn that increase — tons of renovation and innovation, including adding the Disney California Adventure park next door in 2001 to Galaxy’s Edge, the new Star Wars-themed attraction, coming to Disneyland later this year.

Argue, if you must, about whether the usually crowded parks’ prices make sense. But you’ll agree nobody would want to pay what I’ll call “Disneyland inflation” elsewhere in their lives.

Take the venerable cost-of-living benchmark, the national Consumer Price Index. This yardstick’s risen at an average 2.3 percent rate annually since ’90. But if American living expenses jumped like Disneyland prices, a shopper who paid $100 for in 1990 for goods and services that cost $191 in the past year — would have seen the same expenses soar to $584 instead.

Simply put, Disneyland outraced cost-of-living hikes by triple. To see how universal that pattern was, I filled my trusty spreadsheet with various economic measurements to see how these markers inflated during the past three decades and where these yardsticks would be if they had grown at the pace of a Disneyland admission.

California paychecks: How affordable is a theme park visit? Well, the statewide median household income in 2017 was $69,579 vs. $33,290 in 1990. That equals pay increases averaging 2.7 a year for nearly three decades. Now if your boss was as generous as Disneyland raised its prices, your family would be making $183,000 this year!

Baseball game: One visit to the typical Major League Baseball ballpark last season cost $231 for a family of four (tickets, parking, food and souvenirs) vs. $79 in 1991, according to Team Marketing’s fan Cost Index. That’s 3.9 percent annual inflation! At Disneyland’s inflation pace, teams owners would be getting $433 per game.

Big Mac: The Economist magazine tracks this fast-food classic as a global inflation benchmark. Last year, Americans were paying $5.51 per sandwich vs. $2.20 in ’90, by this math. That’s a 3.3 percent annual inflation! If McDonald’s had Disney’s pricing power, you’d be paying $12.85 today for two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions – on a sesame seed bun!

Gasoline: One of those inflation markers everyone understands, California drivers paid an average $3.52 a gallon for unleaded regular last year vs. $1.14 in ’90. That’s 4.1 percent annual inflation! Be happy that gas stations didn’t get Disneyland inflation. If they did, you’d be filling up at $6.66 a gallon!<<

More examples at the link.

And one random thought, CM just got a raise, as the value of free admission and sign-ins are now worth more. And many CM's trade/sell their sign-ins for things like babysitting, auto repairs, etc.

Phroobar

Lol yes. And he’s been to Disneyland more than I did in my first 32 years of life. He’s already starting miss it. Now he sees old videos of him at DL on my iPhone and says “ova dere.” As in “I want to go there.”
Don't over do Disneyland on him. If you go too much you'll burn him out and Disneyland will be seen as a punishment. "Do you homework or I take you to Disneyland!"

Ismael Flores

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/01/08/blame-the-fans-for-disneylands-latest-price-increase/

>Blame the fans for Disneyland’s latest price increase

This is my favorite paragraph because its so true

"The resort pulled that trigger again over the weekend, eliciting rage, derision, snark and even a few gleeful posts from fans who reacted to the news online. Every time Disneyland raises its prices, many fans declare that they are done and won’t return to the parks. They insist that, this time, Disney has gone too far and that the latest price increase will be the one that finally breaks the resort and causes its attendance to crash.

Others look forward to that possibility with delight instead of anger, sneering that Disney should have raised prices by even more, presumably to keep out the tourist riffraff who dare get in the way when they are trying to watch the parade for the 500th time."

DanielBB8

Disney fans are so predictably contradictory. Of course they ASKED for this price increase because they are the reason for the overcrowding and the decrease in value for prices paid. They want less crowds yet contribute to overcrowding, now more than ever. Maybe if they are so unhappy, they will stop going. The only ones crying about it is themselves as if we care that they cannot be consistent in their arguments.

DanielBB8

Make AP prices $10,000 and make one day one park tickets $75
Are you then going to complain that you’re getting a poor value for the $10,000 AP? All you’re getting is entry into the park with little else and the same attractions with a little IP overlay at Pixar Pier. Those paying $75 to enter will think nothing is wrong.

TP2000

Those articles that come out every price raise are so predictable. They always mention inflation even though a park with limited capacity and high demand has every reason to raise prices.

If Disney over the years adjusted only with inflation they would be at max capacity every day. I also don’t see Dodger Stadium adding billion dollar additions. Those news outlets are either looking for views or are not looking at the big picture. Expecting Disneyland prices to scale with the economy is definitely entitlement, as is someone who loves Disneyland but is upset when they are priced out of their pass. Going less frequently whether it be a pass every few years or using tickets is always an option.

The American news media stopped looking at the "big picture" about 20 years ago. And now they play to an audience who apparently only wants to spend 75 seconds absorbing complex issues at an 8th grade comprehension level. There is no Walter Cronkite or Chet Huntley left to object to that industry practice.

The latest round of news stories on Disneyland's annual price increase are perfect examples of that.

jbradway

I'm not sure who they are really trying to run off here. The family of 4 who want to spend a few days in the summer? Seems like it with the $199 park hopper ticket per day. The AP price increases won't cause enough eyes to blink. Seems like they are telling me to go somewhere else while the premium pass holders crowd the park.

shambolicdefending

I'm not sure who they are really trying to run off here. The family of 4 who want to spend a few days in the summer? Seems like it with the $199 park hopper ticket per day. The AP price increases won't cause enough eyes to blink. Seems like they are telling me to go somewhere else while the premium pass holders crowd the park.

Alnost doesn't make sense for any non-locals to do Disneyland anymore. You'd think that kind of price structure would have long-term consequences, but what do I know?

Phroobar

The pricing schedule is still really good for active and retired military.

Disneyland Resort is saluting active and retired U.S. military personnel by offering Military Promotional 3- and 4-Day Park Hopper Tickets. You can visit both theme parks each day of your ticket!

Purchase from November 1, 2018 through December 18, 2019, and receive admission for 3 days for just $178 or 4 days for $198 from January 1 through April 13 and April 23 through December 21, 2019.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
You give us more experiences like SWL and all of classic Disneyland (like Tropical Hideaway), well i'd be fairly "ok" about the price increases. Give us Pixar Pier (& Pixar Fest), M:BO (& Marvel Land), Hyperspace Mountain (& SW Tomorrowland), movie previews where MV3D used to be, and all the other IP advertisement trash they throw in the parks.. IMO, the prices should be going down not up.

We can blame increases on whomever we want but the real heartbreak comes from them targeting the same IPs with ZERO integration of non-IP attractions, budget cuts, issues (ehem, Toy Story Land), cookie cutter experiences; then charging more for all of it like it's what we're asking for.

Yes, I understand Supply and Demand. blah blah Disney is a business. I understand people love the newer stuff. For some reason. To each their own, but this is MY opinion and with it I am fairly unhappy about the direction here. Personally I don't think i'm asking for too much; More originality, even with loose IP integration. Some of the best attractions ever created put originality and care above all else.

I mean for goodness sake, there's more love and care in temporary overlay HMH then there is in what $hapek is offering as a full experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom