Bob Weis steps down as WDI President

Chip Chipperson

The problem with that is what Disney is running into with Disney+...you have to constantly keep new, interesting, and DIFFERENT content flowing steadily, or people get bored and move on.

They have access to cheap content thanks to the parks/resorts, but don't seem to be prioritizing it. They could film a 2nd season of their Animal Kingdom series relatively cheap (the elephants literally work for peanuts), but haven't done so yet. It's a great show. It might not drive new subscriptions but it's something to keep subscribers around after they've watched whatever movie or Star Wars/Marvel series pulled them in.

ImperfectPixie

They have access to cheap content thanks to the parks/resorts, but don't seem to be prioritizing it. They could film a 2nd season of their Animal Kingdom series relatively cheap (the elephants literally work for peanuts), but haven't done so yet. It's a great show. It might not drive new subscriptions but it's something to keep subscribers around after they've watched whatever movie or Star Wars/Marvel series pulled them in.
Agreed...I don't know why they aren't doing so many things that seem like an obvious win. I really wonder if they're so hyper focused on the expensive new content like Marvel, Star Wars, and the new animated movies (that are always slow to release on Disney+) that they're oblivious to the literal treasure trove of older content and ideas they could draw from.

There's so much that's ready to add...and so many ideas they could build on at a (relatively speaking) low production cost...behind-the-scenes parks/resorts series, add all the Magical World of Disney/Color/Etc. (and make more), more of the original cartoons/shorts, etc. Hell, they could even continue the series that included The Living Desert for relatively cheap money and that would get a whole new generation of kids hooked on nature and animals. But then I question their ability to make content like that that doesn't include the crappy overacting, condescending tone that so much of their stuff has these days. (It's like they targeted the Galactic Starcruiser promos at kids who watch The Disney Channel and all that horrible pre-teen garbage).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't get the angst over a 'non-theme park person' taking over WDI.

Didn't you all, for the past several years, hate WDI while it was being run by a 'theme park guy' (i.e., Weiss)?

Why would you think another 'theme park person' would make a difference?

Disney Analyst

There’s bad. And there’s worse.

And of course it comes from the top.

Everyone here has more then enough reason to be skeptical, I agree. It’s worrisome.

But I also refuse to fully vilify another person or judge what they bring until they show us.

Perhaps I am an optimist, but I hope she proves everyone wrong and is the breath of fresh air WDI needs.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't get the angst over a 'non-theme park person' taking over WDI.

Didn't you all, for the past several years, hate WDI while it was being run by a 'theme park guy' (i.e., Weiss)?

Why would you think another 'theme park person' would make a difference?

You think it's going to make it better when the creative is even further buried in an org that was created to be the creative?

It's bad enough when you hinder people.. but when you just get rid of them all together well... no chance.

ImperfectPixie

You think it's going to make it better when the creative is even further buried in an org that was created to be the creative?

It's bad enough when you hinder people.. but when you just get rid of them all together well... no chance.
The sign shop I worked for was originally owned by a non-creative tight-wad a la Chapek. It was bought by a guy who "liked the idea of owning a graphics shop", and who was relatively business savvy, but had no clue of the day-to-day functions involved in a creative business. His ability to acknowledge his weaknesses and listen to the higher-level employees in each department who were directly involved in the processes of production allowed him to get rid of the employees that were leeching a paycheck and increase production in a huge way throughout each department, which resulted in raises for virtually everyone and dramatically increased morale. I left when he and his wife were forced to sell the company to yet another Chapek-minded POS because he was diagnosed with a brain tumor. It was really heartbreaking...his enthusiasm and excitement about where he wanted the business to go were contagious, and he genuinely cared about his employees.

Cmdr_Crimson

In name only.
Huh....I thought they were called...
ea7cb06e-ce8a-4fbe-a668-57c433c36957_text.gif

mitchk

How did I not know about this… I guess I haven’t been around the site for a while… I think it’s a horrible decision and move putting someone who has no previous experience in charge of the entire creative department for the entire company… it’s insane to me… But I guess they need someone to blame for their screw ups… Looks like they found one

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom