News Bob Iger talks about attendance declines, ticket pricing, the feud with Ron DeSantis, and his huge optimism for Disney Parks and Resorts

Disney Analyst

Iger sort of mentioned apple when discussing ESPN, and with the talks of a potential partner in the future… I wonder if Apple and Disney want to get into sports together?

Ayla

Yeah, his two Bobs would stick together
mr bean GIF

AugieJ

We did a brief 3 day trip to Vegas for my husbands 50th birthday and I was shocked at how expensive everything was there. I expected prices to be significantly cheaper than our usual yearly Disney trips. Made me realize the price increases are happening everywhere.....

Also we did WDW in June last year for his birthday..... We will never go during a summer month again, the heat was staggeringly uncomfortable for us. We pivoted to December for this years trip....

Lilofan

Iger sort of mentioned apple when discussing ESPN, and with the talks of a potential partner in the future… I wonder if Apple and Disney want to get into sports together?
I'm thinking mergers and acquisitions. That being said headcount will be affected ( aka layoffs, restructuring ).

Dranth

As I stated in another thread, I've been researching pricing in December for a friend's family. A 2 day base ticket for 2 adults and 1 child is $955. That's just ridiculous. The wife immediately shot down the three of them going in December. (I told them there is a 3 day ticket alternative for Florida Residents through September 29 which would cost the three of them approx $668.) You can't tell me that "pricing is not an issue."

View attachment 729898
View attachment 729899
Universal on the exact same days in December for 2 days, 2 adults and 1 child, 1 park per day is $947.82 total with taxes for a savings of $6.76 for the trip.

Universal for 3 day, 1 park per day Florida resident tickets for 2 adults and 1 child for the first cheapest dates I saw in September is $617.67 with taxes which is cheaper than Disney by $50.10 for the trip.

I think everything is too expensive but this isn't a Disney issue exactly, it is an industry/market issue.

Edit: Fixed pricing on fl resident tickets as I used out of state the first time.

TheMaxRebo

Universal on the exact same days in December for 2 days, 2 adults and 1 child, 1 park per day is $947.82 total with taxes for a savings of $6.76 for the trip.

Universal for 3 day, 1 park per day Florida resident tickets for 2 adults and 1 child for the first cheapest dates I saw in September is $617.67 with taxes which is cheaper than Disney by $50.10 for the trip.

I think everything is too expensive but this isn't a Disney issue exactly, it is an industry/market issue.

Edit: Fixed pricing on fl resident tickets as I used out of state the first time.

I do find Universal to be pricey for short stays, but they do usually have some sort of ticket deal (currently they have buy 2 get 3 days free) so can get the per day cost down quite a bit - obviously doesn't help if only doing a short tip

Dranth

I do find Universal to be pricey for short stays, but they do usually have some sort of ticket deal (currently they have buy 2 get 3 days free) so can get the per day cost down quite a bit - obviously doesn't help if only doing a short tip
They have always done promotions with ticket well but if you are going when they don't have any or you are getting extra tickets you won't use, they end up very closely priced to Disney. Now their hotels are a whole other story but for people staying off site or going for single days here and there, they are just as expensive.

hopemax

This is what I thought of too. Apple is not going to buy all of Disney because there are big parts I can’t imagine they’d ever want. They are still a device company. Mainly the Theme Parks, but also linear networks (which is another thing that perked my ears in Iger’s comments.) But ESPN’s sports rights? Some production and on-air talent? Those they would want, to compete with Amazon.

lentesta

Premium Member
It wasn’t hot on Memorial Day weekend when crowds were nonexistent. More lazy reporting from the drive by media.

Crowds on that weekend were low.

The day after Memorial Day at the MK was in the top 20% of wait times for the previous year, and the busiest day of the previous month:

1689269080620.png

Ranking past Memorial Days for the past decade:

2023: 22 minutes (#342)
2022: 36 minutes (#175)
2021: 24 minutes (#213 / pandemic)
2020: N/A
2019: 35 minutes (#217)
2018: 34 (#223)
2017: 34 (#184)
2016: 35 (#125)
2015: 36 (#65)
2014: 29 (#133)
2013: 26 (#60)

2023 was clearly slower than any previous Memorial Day over the past 10 years. Part of that seems to be a downward trend that started after 2015. I'm sure the economy played a part in this, as well as the hassle and cost of a Disney vacation.

mattpeto

No confusion here - Look for other vacation options. Bob's making it easier to justify than ever before.

People keep saying that too much around here, but it's too meta for me personally. If you're heavily involved in a WDW Forum, you probably aren't walking the walk. But I get what you're saying.

We all believe things need to be better at the parks.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
People keep saying that too much around here, but it's too meta for me personally. If you're heavily involved in a WDW Forum, you probably aren't walking the walk. But I get what you're saying.

We all believe things need to be better at the parks.
I have zero trips planned to the parks through the end of 2024. I have one Disney cruise booked with friends in 2024. After that, I'm investigating Princess, Royal, and Norwegian for cruises and have zero desire to return to the parks. It's not worth the price at the moment, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Sadly.

Disney Analyst

Crowds on that weekend were low.

The day after Memorial Day at the MK was in the top 20% of wait times for the previous year, and the busiest day of the previous month:

View attachment 729938

Ranking past Memorial Days for the past decade:

2023: 22 minutes (#342)
2022: 36 minutes (#175)
2021: 24 minutes (#213 / pandemic)
2020: N/A
2019: 35 minutes (#217)
2018: 34 (#223)
2017: 34 (#184)
2016: 35 (#125)
2015: 36 (#65)
2014: 29 (#133)
2013: 26 (#60)

2023 was clearly slower than any previous Memorial Day over the past 10 years. Part of that seems to be a downward trend that started after 2015. I'm sure the economy played a part in this, as well as the hassle and cost of a Disney vacation.

Do we also think in general, holidays will get slower with those being the most expensive days? Disney has sort of retrained guests and potential guests to switch to different dates, based on the pricing structure. Add in that most people know how horrible Disney used to be during special holidays, I'd also avoid the parks.

This is what you see at Disneyland these days. The weekends are calm and easy, and the weekdays that are cheaper are a mad-house.

J4546

I dont think the parks are overpriced, I think they are fine for the amount of stuff you get to do. If you want to go to a cheaper park, there are options, SeaWorld, Six Flags, Busch Gardens even Universal is a little bit cheaper. Id rather the prices stay high to keep out loud ignorant moronic people (not that all poor/middle class are loud ignorant morons, Im poor as well) but lets be real, when you go to the cheaper parks you quickly realize how many people use them as day cares for there teens and how many trashy morons are shouting cuss words and slurs at each other...Id rather pay more to avoid that lameness

JohnD

You missed exactly what I warned against. You would be paying more when you don't need to. That price is the period 12/18-22. The first date of a two day base ticket doesn't have to be the start of your trip when you could choose 12/15-19 for the least expensive tickets for visiting on 12/18-19 for $909.48 instead of the $947.82 you quoted.

I wonder how many people miss this point at both WDW and Uni providing extra money to those parks when they don't need to?

lentesta

Premium Member
Do we also think in general, holidays will get slower with those being the most expensive days? Disney has sort of retrained guests and potential guests to switch to different dates, based on the pricing structure. Add in that most people know how horrible Disney used to be during special holidays, I'd also avoid the parks.

This is what you see at Disneyland these days. The weekends are calm and easy, and the weekdays that are cheaper are a mad-house.

In general, yes. That and the weather. There’s still some days that will always be crowded, like Christmas. But people will follow incentives too.

Smugpugmug

I dont think the parks are overpriced, I think they are fine for the amount of stuff you get to do. If you want to go to a cheaper park, there are options, SeaWorld, Six Flags, Busch Gardens even Universal is a little bit cheaper. Id rather the prices stay high to keep out loud ignorant moronic people (not that all poor/middle class are loud ignorant morons, Im poor as well) but lets be real, when you go to the cheaper parks you quickly realize how many people use them as day cares for there teens and how many trashy morons are shouting cuss words and slurs at each other...Id rather pay more to avoid that lameness
To your bolded point, I've witnessed plenty of this behavior at Disney parks. Price has nothing to do with keeping out people that act this way.

J4546

I have been to WDW for as long as it has been open and observed peoples behavior has deteriorated over the years. Pricing of WDW has does not kept out --your words loud ignorant morons. If anything higher prices gives people a sense of entitlement
im not saying it keeps them out all together but it def helps. You go to any of the cheaper parks and see/hear way worse behavior than at Disney or Universal. people dont use it so much as a daycare to drop off their kids like at six flags, etc. But thats just been my experience. And yes of course loud morons are everywhere but last time I went to Six Flags and Sea World it was way way way worse than anything Ive ever seen at Disney/Universal, to the point that iIl never go back to SixFlags. Maybe Seaworld.

Last edited:

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member

I don’t understand why there is the laser like focus to blame cost exclusively as the cause of the problem. It is “A” reason but not the only reason for the problems being encountered.

DCL is extremely expensive yet still very much successful. D+ and Disney/Marvel/Pixar/Lucasfilm Movies are still very much accessible to the common person, yet they are failing miserably.

If it was too expensive, Bob wouldn’t even admit or hint at that publicly. There are clearly deeper problems here that won’t be solved by pulling a “lever”.

Everything Bob said was nauseatingly carefully crafted spin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom