News Bob Iger talks about attendance declines, ticket pricing, the feud with Ron DeSantis, and his huge optimism for Disney Parks and Resorts

Professortango1

Or if it's really good, watch it multiple times for free?? When was the last time you watched a really good movie multiple times in the theatre?
I saw Chicago and Moulin Rouge in theaters about 4-6 times each. I saw Get Out 3 times. Superbad twice. The Suicide Squad I saw at home for free with friends and was happy to go pay and see it with a crowd a few days later.

Smugpugmug

Or if it's really good, watch it multiple times for free?? When was the last time you watched a really good movie multiple times in the theatre?
I saw Inside Out multiple times as I went with different people. Same with Coco, though the first time I saw it was in Germany and it was the German dub. No complaints for either movie.

Slpy3270

What's so wild about the media speculation about the linear networks is that there is zero concrete info suggesting they're about to be sold or that talks are going on.

And why would there be? Iger knows he's not getting a premium on a business seen as in secular decline. Selling them off at a loss will not help cash-flow issues or the balance sheet and may only serve to make Disney more vulnerable.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And why would there be? Iger knows he's not getting a premium on a business seen as in secular decline. Selling them off at a loss will not help cash-flow issues or the balance sheet and may only serve to make Disney more vulnerable.
They don’t have cash flow issues- they have ‘you are in a declining industry’ problem and the market wants to know how they will change the model to avoid the inevitable slide to negative and replace the revenue.

Selling gets that monkey off their back and would likely buy out some of the book debt to look even more lean and agile

Slpy3270

Selling gets that monkey off their back and would likely buy out some of the book debt to look even more lean and agile
They want it to look more "lean and agile" so that someone bigger will buy it. Hence the nonstop Apple-Disney merger rumors despite there being zero credence to them.

Time Warner did everything shareholders asked them to do. Get rid of AOL, Warner Books, Warner Music, Time Warner Cable, and then ultimately Time Inc., all considered declining or non-core assets.

And guess what? Time Warner got bought out by AT&T anyway, because there was nothing to replace that lost revenue.

It will be very difficult for Disney to replace that revenue, and most importantly profit, the latter of which the streaming services have none and likely never will, unless they want to price the services, as well as theme parks and movie tickets, out of affordability. Which means they're likely going to keep milking the bundle for as long as they can.

And again, unless he wants to tick shareholders off (again), he's not going to sell the networks at a loss.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It will be very difficult for Disney to replace that revenue, and most importantly profit, the latter of which the streaming services have none and likely never will, unless they want to price the services, as well as theme parks and movie tickets, out of affordability. Which means they're likely going to keep milking the bundle for as long as they can.
The difference is there is a future for increasing profits in streaming… right now there is no increasing outlook for broadcast. It’s expensive and a sinking ship

JoeCamel

The difference is there is a future for increasing profits in streaming… right now there is no increasing outlook for broadcast. It’s expensive and a sinking ship
I can't see them making money on streaming, parks can be fixed but D+/HULU/Star just isn't it. Too expensive to create the content when you can't AI/shop the performers for free or have to use CGI, just not enough in one provider to garner the eyeballs to be valuable on its own. Yeah Netflix but #1 is #1 because they came first, HBO could have but too much meddling in the operation trying to position for profits. I see a bunch of consolidation in the future so selling pieces is probably where it will shake out.
Bob was proud of his acquisitions and paraded them often in the past as an indicator of his prowess so what can be bought can be sold, hopefully at a profit.
Ad supported broadcast is dead like a landline, it will be missed by those who made sure to tune in at 8pm on Thursday for the next new episode.

celluloid

I can't see them making money on streaming, parks can be fixed but D+/HULU/Star just isn't it. Too expensive to create the content when you can't AI/shop the performers for free or have to use CGI, just not enough in one provider to garner the eyeballs to be valuable on its own. Yeah Netflix but #1 is #1 because they came first, HBO could have but too much meddling in the operation trying to position for profits. I see a bunch of consolidation in the future so selling pieces is probably where it will shake out.
Bob was proud of his acquisitions and paraded them often in the past as an indicator of his prowess so what can be bought can be sold, hopefully at a profit.
Ad supported broadcast is dead like a landline, it will be missed by those who made sure to tune in at 8pm on Thursday for the next new episode.
Even Netflix has had to adjust production values and be very selective over the years, Disney did not listen to why Netflix ditched the Marvel streaming shows in the first place. They never had a ROI.
At least Peacock has more fun synergy of all the streaming services.

With any HHN ticket type purchased this year, you get six months of peacock. Its not a huge monetary value by any means, but appropriate and a fun bonus on brand.

Slpy3270

Even Netflix has had to adjust production values and be very selective over the years, Disney did not listen to why Netflix ditched the Marvel streaming shows in the first place. They never had a ROI.
At least Peacock has more fun synergy of all the streaming services.

With any HHN ticket type purchased this year, you get six months of peacock. Its not a huge monetary value by any means, but appropriate and a fun bonus on brand.
Peacock isn't making jack, either, and just hours ago they announced a price increase.

Won't be shocking if Brian Roberts decides to spin the whole NBCUni thing off.

As for why Netflix stock is spiking, despite the fact that it will likely not make it to 400 million global subs....their investors are downright insane. They seem to think the strikes will benefit them because Americans, in their mind, will shift to international content in the long-term....never mind that Americans don't give to craps about international shows.

celluloid

Peacock isn't making jack, either, and just hours ago they announced a price increase.

No one said they did. All streaming services are in the red. I was just pointing out the fun in synergy that HHN has done better than Disney.

Disney could add a deal where packages get people six months or a year of Disney Plus depending on how much they stay. It may not shift much, but it certainly would not hurt and be better than whatever mess Disney Plus day was.

They literally have a movie studio theme park and do diddly squat to properly synergize Disney Plus, whcih is baffling because they treated things like pirates of the caribbean and others like moving billboards.

Rimmit

I feel like the shortened window is so the studios don’t have to remarket the movie. By releasing it so close in time to the theatrical window they can drift off of the marketing from the theatrical release
The shortened window was to discourage pirating. The longer between theatrical release and streaming/bluray/dvd release the more a movie gets pirated. People (for the most part in 1st world countries) are willing to pay for something or use a streaming service to consume it when available. Even with password sharing, at least someone has to have one working account. If it's pirated it is a complete loss. iTunes was a game changer when it came to piracy. When people were given the option to buy a song for $1 vs scouring the internet for endless links that didn't work or had viruses, many people started forking over the $1. When people are given viable affordable legal options, piracy drops.

There will always be a very large number of people that will pirate, especially in third world countries, but digital media has at least slowed it down as people don't need to pirate as much anymore. They just password share, and use VPNs to access content they want legally (yes using a VPN to watch overseas content is not totally legal, but it's not flat out stealing, as you at least using some legal service, just not in the right country).

Nubs70

As for why Netflix stock is spiking, despite the fact that it will likely not make it to 400 million global subs....their investors are downright insane. They seem to think the strikes will benefit them because Americans, in their mind, will shift to international content in the long-term....never mind that Americans don't give to craps about international shows.
I watch so much Netflix I have already gone International. There is really good stuff out there that eclipses anything from the US.

Watch DARK

Slpy3270

I watch so much Netflix I have already gone International. There is really good stuff out there that eclipses anything from the US.
You might think that but most Americans don't. It's a myth that large swaths of people will shift from domestic shows/movies to international shows/movies should the strikes go on long. Most likely they'll either wait or just stop watching entirely and move on to something else.

Last edited:

TheMaxRebo

No one said they did. All streaming services are in the red. I was just pointing out the fun in synergy that HHN has done better than Disney.

Disney could add a deal where packages get people six months or a year of Disney Plus depending on how much they stay. It may not shift much, but it certainly would not hurt and be better than whatever mess Disney Plus day was.

They literally have a movie studio theme park and do diddly squat to properly synergize Disney Plus, whcih is baffling because they treated things like pirates of the caribbean and others like moving billboards.

They seems to be going the other way - like for this summer they offered special discounts on hotels at WDW for D+ subscribers

There was talk in the past about a membership type structure (guess kinda like Amazon Prime) no idea if that still has any legs

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
These takes are always so funny…. I’m a “free loading local”, I pay $75/mo for my AP, visit the parks 1-2 times per month and spend anywhere from $300-$500 on F&B/Merch each trip. Some trips I spend more and stay at a Disney hotel, sometimes I buy special event tickets, like I just purchased for Jollywood Nights. There is no “free-loading”. I’m also one person, so think about families who are local, they’re spending more.

It is a dumb take and gets so old. There are a few major reasons walt built in CENTRAL FL.

He loved the "free loading locals" He always knew the most potential visitors would always be in that state.
…sarcasm, people

Nubs70

You might think that but most Americans don't. It's a myth that large swaths of people will shift from domestic shows/movies to international shows/movies should the strikes go on long. Most likely they'll either wait for just stop watching entirely and move on to something else.
Could be but there is really good stuff out there. English dub or subtitles are only a short click away.

I ran out of stuff to "listen to" as I drive. I the stumbled onto Babylon Berlin - another awesome series. Season 4 played in the EU already. I am waiting on Netflix to pick up Season 4.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They seems to be going the other way - like for this summer they offered special discounts on hotels at WDW for D+ subscribers

There was talk in the past about a membership type structure (guess kinda like Amazon Prime) no idea if that still has any legs
That was the height of the stupidity of “Bobism”…now that the philosophy has been exposed…this idea hopefully is gone forever.

Turns out…you can’t set whatever price you want in a vacuum. Nope.

Just sell a product for a set price…enough with these “gateway” fees. Have some dignity.

flynnibus

Premium Member
There is???? Disney+ has only lost money so far correct?
You do understand what the word 'future' means right? Why would you think the OUTLOOK of a space is limited by profitability of the STARTUP phase?

Ads... premium buys... price increases.. minimum terms.. all of these things are going to happen and will boost revenue dramatically.

Streaming is in the 'lure them in phase' as they build their base and credibility. This is not all streaming will ever be.

Meanwhile... terrestrial broadcast already played their cards and people are not going to go back to linear television.

SpectreJordan

We did a brief 3 day trip to Vegas for my husbands 50th birthday and I was shocked at how expensive everything was there. I expected prices to be significantly cheaper than our usual yearly Disney trips. Made me realize the price increases are happening everywhere.....

Also we did WDW in June last year for his birthday..... We will never go during a summer month again, the heat was staggeringly uncomfortable for us. We pivoted to December for this years trip....
If you're ever able to during these times, January/February & late October/early November are my favorite times to be in the parks. Good mix of decent crowd levels & weather.

As for what Iger's saying, the prices are absolutely an issue especially with all of the BS Genie+ charges & issues. & with all of this "optimism" they have for WDW, they better announce something cool soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom