Bob Iger returning to Disney as CEO?

Snake

All Iger did was the lazy corporate play book they are all currently using. Instead of taking risks and creating new things, you buy out other successful companies, no risks, boosts stock temporarily so big short terms gains to pump up the golden parachute as much as possible before they jump. These CEO's arent special. Iger is the one that let all these parks decay under his watch, most things Chapek is blamed for was on Igers drawning board way before Chapek. Dont give either one a pass.

JoeCamel

All Iger did was the lazy corporate play book they are all currently using. Instead of taking risks and creating new things, you buy out other successful companies, no risks, boosts stock temporarily so big short terms gains to pump up the golden parachute as much as possible before they jump. These CEO's arent special. Iger is the one that let all these parks decay under his watch, most things Chapek is blamed for was on Igers drawning board way before Chapek. Dont give either one a pass.
The corporate growth is; either grow customers, buy other company's customers or come up with an innovative product people will buy.
101 at Wharton today so maybe buying is a sure, easy route to growth? Not genius but it delivered what the board and stockholders wanted.
Fans are dead at Disney, cash rules

Lilofan

He's there to satisfy the shareholders. I'm long term so I reaped the benefits of the stock for many years.

Sir_Cliff

The corporate growth is; either grow customers, buy other company's customers or come up with an innovative product people will buy.
101 at Wharton today so maybe buying is a sure, easy route to growth? Not genius but it delivered what the board and stockholders wanted.
Fans are dead at Disney, cash rules
I do think Iger deserves at least some credit for leaving Disney as a company in a better state than when he took over beyond the narrative he just did obvious, easy things. Sure, a lot of Disney's success in recent years has flowed in some way from those big purchases. If it was as simple as just buying things and your company automatically becomes bigger and more successful, though, every company would be doing just that and becoming ever more successful.

Mindy55

Well, if I were made absolute ruler of the Disney Board of Directors, what I would like to see is a brand new CEO paired with a brand new president. Two different individuals. One of whom is an experienced and respected business leader and one of whom is an experienced and respected creative talent. And neither of whom has ever worked for The Walt Disney Company or any of its affiliates or subsidiaries in any capacity what-so-ever. My goal would be to attempt to have some semblence of the Walt/Roy or Eisner/Wells dynamic return to the company. Alas, I doubt it would ever happen.
There was a bit of an accidental brilliance in the relationship of Eisner and Wells .. I say accidental because the success of their decision making was discovered as a result of their pairing at Disney. It was after the tragedy and we lost Wells that Thr business became too ‘one sided’… I also think Iger has a worthy legacy - however, I believe he is responsible for Disney’s close relationship with China, and it’s departure from our own country. I see that as the single most impactful move in his tenure. I am not saying it’s a good thing, but it carries the most significant legacy and it’s tentacles are far reaching.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Well, the tracksuit mafia, a.k.a, "the bros" definitely remind me of this forums echo chamber where we hear "Chapek," and "IP" blurted out with as much mindless regularity.
Here's the only person you can trust to operate within his generally accepted reality...
Bob.png

el_super

All Iger did was the lazy corporate play book they are all currently using.

I think as the years have past, the context here has been lost. Iger bought Pixar and Marvel and Lucasfilm, and made it look easy, but it's important to remember those were all things that Eisner (specifically w/Pixar) couldn't do. Eisner stubbornly insisted that Disney could go it's own way, and make their own Pixar movies and their own Star Wars movies and ... it didn't work out.

jpinkc

I think the world wide expansion of Disney Parks was inevitable, I just think it also is whats hurt our Domestic Parks. All the money poured into China etc. Think if 10-15% of that had been used for Disneyland/ WDW, the US parks would still be the best in the world. Until they see a marked drop in WDW and Disneyland attendance they have no financial incentive to do much. Hence why it takes them 3 times as long to build or do anything at either park. They are supposed to be the Crown Jewels of the Disney Parks. They look more and more like the red headed step children people keep pushing to the back of the family photos. To me thats sad. They were the Gold Standard of Parks around the world til mid 80's early 90's. They could be again if TWDC ever pulls there head out of there , but I dont see it happening.

Diamond Dot

I don't think the living Disneys are interested enough in taking over the company (or having anything to do with the company at all, see Abigail).
Abigail Disney is quite an unpleasant character. She spends her life making claims without substance and is happy to have Disney money while telling everyone how she feels about the wages CMs are paid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom