News Bob Iger outlines the need to transform the Walt Disney Company resulting in 7000 job losses and $5.5 billion in cost savings

Parker in NYC

Yes, some people do put their money where their mouth is. But most don't. Value can only be determined by the person.

My only issue is those who say they won't go and then do.
This is still a thing? How many things must a company do before one actually stops going? One of those awful “news sites” recommends their listeners spend less money on vacation to stick it to the Mouse. Maybe not going at all? There’s an idea.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah, I wonder about Pixar any more. Since Onward (Mar '20), best estimates are they've lost between $250-300M across 5 films. Who gets to keep their job with performance like that? If they don't hit it out of the park with Inside Out 2 and Elemental, I see more heartache in Emereyville.
I think their problems are indicative of some of the same issues in all their studios.

They don’t read things right, they don’t listen to the market correctly, then they blame the market when they’re wrong.

But I think Pixar is still in better shape for a rebound

Vegas Disney Fan

All I can tell you is that we looked at booking a trip this fall and decided against it. We're going elsewhere. A good part of that is because the cost is just so outrageous. I can take my family on two other vacations for what it would cost us to go to WDW. Now, I will also admit that part of our reasoning is for reasons I won't specify here but that the forum membership would pounce on and call me a bigot for and say I shouldn't care about. But, hey, I'm sure we're not the only ones acting based on such things either.

Regardless, though, the idea that everyone complains and no one will take their money elsewhere is, IMHO, false. There is a breaking point for everyone, whether it's because of cost, perceived quality, or some other reason. Disney may not have really felt it yet, but there IS a breaking point.

There’s likely thousands of people who “quit” Disney every year… but for every guest lost they seem to gain 2 more.

They are basically Hydra at this point.

Parker in NYC

There’s likely thousands of people who “quit” Disney every year… but for every guest lost they seem to gain 2 more.

Agreed. I’ve been reading about this theoretical breaking point since I first starting reading Disney forums in the newer olden days. “THIS WILL BE THE YEAR!” And time marches on. “But look at the layoffs!” Time marches on. “But look at these fancy spreadsheets!” Time marches on. The deluge.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

The “they gain 2 more” is the most overused excuse ever.

And loss/gain is part of life. The boomers are going “boom”…their parents (the first Disney generation) is gone…

…so what has happened is far frivolous generations are now what you have to work with…lead by the most cynical generation ever.

So…with natural increase in travel - across the board, not just Disney - I ask: are they better off now?
Maybe.
Tomorrow?
Tougher to convince.

Last edited:

Tom P.

Agreed. I’ve been reading about this theoretical breaking point since I first starting reading Disney forums in the newer olden days. “THIS WILL BE THE YEAR!” And time marches on. “But look at the layoffs!” Time marches on. “But look at these fancy spreadsheets!” Time marches on. The deluge.
People who book a Disney vacation for their family couldn't give a rip about how many employees Disney has laid off this year or what their spreadsheets show. They don't care what cast members are making or how the latest union negotiations went. None of that stuff matters in the slightest to people just booking a vacation.

All they care about is (a) can I afford it and (b) do I enjoy it. That's it. There is no consideration beyond that. None.

Parker in NYC

People who book a Disney vacation for their family couldn't give a rip about how many employees Disney has laid off this year or what their spreadsheets show. They don't care what cast members are making or how the latest union negotiations went. None of that stuff matters in the slightest to people just booking a vacation.

All they care about is (a) can I afford it and (b) do I enjoy it. That's it. There is no consideration beyond that. None.
Agreed. I’m just commenting on the fact that this “breaking point” is brought up every darn year, month, season. Disney’s making hundreds of thousands of dollars a day on Genie+ alone. People are continuing to go and continuing to be grifted. That family from Denver has ostensibly zillions of likeminded relatives.

Tom P.

Agreed. I’m just commenting on the fact that this “breaking point” is brought up every darn year, month, season. Disney’s making hundreds of thousands of dollars a day on Genie+ alone. People are continuing to go and continuing to be grifted. That family from Denver has ostensibly zillions of likeminded relatives.
I agree, but I still say that it cannot continue indefinitely. Take it to the absurd extreme. If Disney raised their daily park prices to $1,000,000 tomorrow, there's probably somebody who would pay that, but 99.9% of their clientele simply couldn't afford to and wouldn't think it was worth it even if they could. So somewhere between the current pricing and the absurd extreme like that, there is a real breaking point that will be hit eventually where Mr. & Mrs. John Smith from Hackensack, NJ simply literally cannot afford it.

KeithVH

1679944280209.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Meh. Value to one person isn't the same to another, so its almost always impossible to judge it for someone else.

I value my time enough that $15 for a ILL to save standing in line for an hour is worth it.
I value convenience enough that I'd rather park in the airport garage for $10 more a day than to park in an off-site lot.
Others might not see the same value for their time or convenience, and its not up to me - or you, or anyone else - to judge them for that.
So the same argument repeated verbatim here in defense of stupid actions because it’s not illegal to be stupid?

Yeah I got it…the world is “grey”…
But black and white do - in fact - do still exist.

Wait…unless Florida outlawed black and white today? Did I miss that? 🤔

KeithVH

See my emphasis. Trying to understand here. My impression is, when you say this, that they shouldn't be doing whatever it is they do to capture $100K+/day on Genie+. If so, what would an acceptable amount be?

Parker in NYC

I agree, but I still say that it cannot continue indefinitely. Take it to the absurd extreme. If Disney raised their daily park prices to $1,000,000 tomorrow, there's probably somebody who would pay that, but 99.9% of their clientele simply couldn't afford to and wouldn't think it was worth it even if they could. So somewhere between the current pricing and the absurd extreme like that, there is a real breaking point that will be hit eventually where Mr. & Mrs. John Smith from Hackensack, NJ simply literally cannot afford it.
One million dollars? That’s one hell of a jump. So, of course. But it looks like, at this point, the narrative once that Splash Mountain and politics WILL keep the King and Queen of Hackensack away, is just plain wrong.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nothing…with economics can exist forever.

Rome falls.

The people that say things are “unlimited”…are the morons who crash things

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
See my emphasis. Trying to understand here. My impression is, when you say this, that they shouldn't be doing whatever it is they do to capture $100K+/day on Genie+. If so, what would an acceptable amount be?
That battle is over…we lost it.

But it doesn’t stop people from crying for their prebooked fast passes daily 😂

The problem with the paid system is it will turn back on them and be a nightmare if they don’t start getting to fleshing out those parks. It’s just not gonna work with big thunder and Peter Pan.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Who gets to define what Disney purchases are stupid and which are not?
The same way it was decided since the beginning of time: by human brain power in search of a logical stance that works for the most.

I have no problem with personal opinions. We all have them.
But that doesn’t make it a “truth that I determine”
And that’s what always happens. Now NOTHING is bad for the consumer because there’s always someone who defends it.

That makes Congress look “efficient”

Parker in NYC

Don’t twist my words. I’m saying if they’re making that much, they aren’t going into the sewer underneath The Creations Shop. This is free revenue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom