News Bob Iger outlines the need to transform the Walt Disney Company resulting in 7000 job losses and $5.5 billion in cost savings

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
"The company" is not monolithic. When it rains in Orlando, they don't stock the shelves with extra umbrellas in Anaheim. One has nothing to do with the other. If anything, cost cutting in overhead areas and content production frees up cash flow to be used for investment in the parks.
Ok, snoop…

Read the “leaves”

Peltz does this stunt where sweeping changes have to be made - and a lot of them were and are still true - and drops it a minute later when they promise to slash payroll and promise a dividend?

Everyone has a price…and theirs is not high.

And what has happened since the charade? More box office tanks…Florida hosing them in public…labor difficulties all but acknowledged publicly…hell, even baby yoda is on a downward ark.

And where’s that “successor”?
The #1 thing that has to be done.

All of a sudden more money in the parks is the play? More sunk cost? More longterm overhead?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You were doing so well until the last part.

A CEO is ethically and legally obligated to act in the best interest of the shareholders. That's his only job.

The argument against Iger, if you're going to make one, isn't "he only cares about the shareholders." It's "the things he's doing aren't in the best interest of the shareholders long-term."
Shareholders don’t care…it’s the “quarterly culture”

And why Bob failed taking them into it.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Ok, snoop…

Read the “leaves”

Peltz does this stunt where sweeping changes have to be made - and a lot of them were and are still true - and drops it a minute later when they promise to slash payroll and promise a dividend?

Everyone has a price…and theirs is not high.

And what has happened since the charade? More box office tanks…Florida hosing them in public…labor difficulties all but acknowledged publicly…hell, even baby yoda is on a downward ark.

And where’s that “successor”?
The #1 thing that has to be done.

All of a sudden more money in the parks is the play? More sunk cost? More longterm overhead?
I prefaced that blurb with "if anything."

I think the most likely outcome for the parks (in terms of stuff guests will actually notice) is a whole lot of status quo.

Newtwo

You were doing so well until the last part.

A CEO is ethically and legally obligated to act in the best interest of the shareholders. That's his only job.

The argument against Iger, if you're going to make one, isn't "he only cares about the shareholders." It's "the things he's doing aren't in the best interest of the shareholders long-term."
You're not wrong.

I just find it disgusting how much people gushed when it was announced that he was coming back and replacing Chapek.

No CEO should ever be put up on a pedestal like that. They're evil.

Vegas Disney Fan

You're not wrong.

I just find it disgusting how much people gushed when it was announced that he was coming back and replacing Chapek.

You said the magic word… Chapek.

Iger is a massive improvement over Chapek and could instantly step into the CEO role. The only other option was stick with Chapek for several more months (or years) while trying to discreetly find his replacement and get him/her up to speed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nobody who wears a costume to work is going to be impacted.
They’ll start to squeeze them, morale will suck, less quality labor will be available and it will lower overall standard and stress the older guard…
…oh, and travelers asked to pay high/higher prices for stale product (enjoy tron…cause you got a whole lotta Jack Nothing now) will show more resentment towards them.

Welcome to R mode, kids

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
It really is surprising to see how far Disney has fallen since the highs of 2019. They practically owned the box office for years and the theme parks were overflowing. They're still making tons of money, but they do seem to be on the decline.
It's like the seasons man... studios know this too. They all don't abandon ship just because they didn't repeat the success of the last major blockbuster.

In the last decade+ the MCU boosted Disney like a turbo making it seem like king of the world. But everyone knows that peak isn't forever. That's why they are always working on the next thing too.

Smiley/OCD

You're not wrong.

First, most people on here knew that this wasn’t going to be the best outcome…it’s just that Iger was the lesser of two evils SHORT TERM.
As far as your comment that ALL CEO’s are evil, that’s just not true and you sound like a VERY disgruntled corporate employee…that’s unfortunate…life’s too short…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's like the seasons man... studios know this too. They all don't abandon ship just because they didn't repeat the success of the last major blockbuster.

In the last decade+ the MCU boosted Disney like a turbo making it seem like king of the world. But everyone knows that peak isn't forever. That's why they are always working on the next thing too.
That is normal…no comic book franchise ever sustain forever. Marvel has set the record by FAR…

And that’s ok…the missteps in the other big 3 divisions is the problem

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
First, most people on here knew that this wasn’t going to be the best outcome…it’s just that Iger was the lesser of two evils SHORT TERM.
As far as your comment that ALL CEO’s are evil, that’s just not true and you sound like a VERY disgruntled corporate employee…that’s unfortunate…life’s too short…
To be fair...I am definitely going the evil route when I become CEO.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You said the magic word… Chapek.

Iger is a massive improvement over Chapek and could instantly step into the CEO role. The only other option was stick with Chapek for several more months (or years) while trying to discreetly find his replacement and get him/her up to speed.
He’s not a massive improvement now. He’s past his expiration date. WE SAW THAT BEFORE. To the letter

Iger was stable and navigated 15 years well considering his low talent. But that’s been exposed now…and why he’s there and is now the problem. He can’t take it.

But all the problems they have now…and their stock that has tanked 40% BEFORE an economic slow period…were hatched in his last go around…before the coward quit.

The record is written. Watch it play.

Smiley/OCD

They’ll start to squeeze them, moral will suck, less quality labor will be available and it will lower overall standard and stress the older guard…
…oh, and travelers asked to pay high/higher prices for stale product (enjoy tron…cause you got a whole lotta Jack Nothing now) will show more resentment towards them.

Welcome to R mode, kids
Less morale?? I thought that pay raise was supposed to take care of that…higher pay does NIT necessarily equal higher morale…but you’re absolutely right

Willmark

There has only been one post-Covid Pixar film, Lightyear. It did fail big in the box office. However, the critical and audience ratings aren't bad at all.

The previous films to Lightyear have received very good critical and audience ratings. But they were released to D+ at the same to whatever theaters were open worldwide. So, it's impossible to judge their box office performance.

Since when is two a 'churn'? Lightyear I mentioned above. And Strange World did indeed do poorly at the box office and with critical and audience ratings. But before that was the immensely popular Encanto.
I don’t want to wade into that debate as to why.

Maybe more appropriate to say it’s quite possibly only the beginning. It’s also telling just how much they lost, the market changing, the consumer base changing.

I’m of the opinion that the days of reaching every single customer is likely over for Disney. There is no way that can happen anymore. I’m trying to phrase it fairly delicate here.

As far as Pixar they reached their zenith around 2010/11 IMO. After that there has been a few ok ones, but hard to reach the level of the initial run culminating with their high water mark as it were: WALL-E and Up!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom